Walter Wiesske air scooter, anybody?

Armin Derer

In dire need for coffee
Reaction score
Good morning!

Here we have a contraption that came to me when I rummaged through some old magazines.
It is supposed to be some rudimentary kind of flying car (Flugauto) or roadable helicopter, which apparently flew as a model.

The name of the inventor maybe given incorrectly. It is not the first time I encountered misspellings of names in these old rags ((if they give names at all).

Have any of you ever heard anything about this guy or his invention?

Clipping is from Popular Mechanics May 1954

Cheers
Armin

Attachments

• Popular_Mechanics_05_1954-155_x_.jpg
    Popular_Mechanics_05_1954-155_x_.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 89
Hi Armin,

it's real one,

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    335.3 KB · Views: 50
Hi Armin,

it's real one,

Good morning Hesham,

I did not doubt the man is a real one.

The photo you posted is the exact same photo which was reproduced in the magazine article I posted.

The caption-tag for that photo spells the name as Walter Wiesske, and so it is spelled in the magazine. That only means that the magazine did transcribe it correcty from the caption-tag of the press-photo.

It does however not exclude the possibility that the spelling on the caption-tag is wrong.

As I said before: foreign names are very often spelled incorrectly in those magazines. Which most likely comes from earlier misspellings in the press-photo-cation-tag.

Google or an other search engine produces only limited results for „Walter Wiesske“, namely the entries here and the magazin article in a helicopter blog. Oher than that the does not appear.

Cheers
Armin

Last edited:
The entry at hand is not only regarding to this thread, but also to the entries cited here above, from Richard.

It is about the German engineer Walter Schlieske (or Schließke)

side-note: The rules for with the German letter ß (= sz) are not even understood by every native Geman speaker.
And: as for Schlieske, there are even more spellings of his name: Schliesske, Schlisske, Wiesske.

Alas …

The following is the translation of an excerpt from a scholarly biography (w/ sources in the footnotes) about the German engineer and entrepeneur Karl Erwin Merckle.

Merckle built the first German turbine powered helicopter which had its maiden flight in 1959. Merckle also founded the Meravo Luftreederei (air charter), which is in business still today, one of the largest privately owned German companies in the segment.

Merckle also was one of the people who got scammed by Schlieske. At least that is suggested in this section in the biography.

„Merckle let himself be inspired by the inventor Walter Schlieske for the cause of a people's helicopter (Volkshubschrauber). Schlieske, a former fighter pilot and engineer with the Reichsluftfartministerium (Nazi aviation administration), had begun constructing a "flying scooter" ("Fluro" = Flugroller) near Delmenhorst at the end of 1952, which was equipped with five windmill wings and was intended to carry two people into the air. It was powered by a Volkswagen engine. The "helicopter for everyone" was to cost about DM 4.000 to 5.000, be child's play to operate and cover about 150 km per hour. The idea met with great interest and sensational reports about his first flight went around the world.

In the mid-1950s, Schlieske founded the FLUR Flying Scooter And Helicopter Development Company in Minden. In 1956, he built the "Libelle", which was to be marketed as a single-seater for DM 8.000 and as a two-seater for DM 14.000. At that time, a helicopter that had proven itself on the market cost more than ten times as much The "Libelle", also called the "Volkshubschrauber", was equipped with a 100 cc two-stroke engine and ramjet engines. The frame construction was made of bamboo and aluminium tubes. Schlieske's ventures later turned out to be a fraud; the flights with the Volkshubschrauber were faked. Walter Schlieske flew anyway in 1957: to prison. By then he had deceived several companies with his concept and swindled DM 180.000.“

That is about $ 81.000 by exchange rate of 1952.

Last edited:
The lecturn like X-Jet is about as good as it ever got-before drone crap. Go Team Venture.

If Walter Schließke would live today, he would be the head of something like Lilium...

VTOL on demand and is allways good for such stories, today and in the past...