USAAS 1920's Observation vs Divisional Observation vs Corps Observation types

ACResearcher

Author/researcher/illustrator.
Reaction score
I'm doing some research on USAAS Observation aircraft of the 1920s and have been looking for some definitive data on the definitions/specs/mission profile of the Observation vs Division Observation vs Corps Observation aircraft of the time. So far I've not come up with any documents outline the specific differences among those types. I won't even go into the AO (Artillery Observation) types until I get the above nailed down.

Can anyone help me on this? Do you happen to have original documentation describing the differences among these designations or, barring this, know where at the National Archives I can find the specific files with this information?

The Army Air Service/Army Air Corps had a dizzying array of changes to aircraft designations during this time, much of which I have, but not these.

I appreciate any and all specific data/records on these.

With thanks,

AlanG

I can't claim to know the answer. But I have an impression based on bothbrowsing my own picture collection and following up on Bill S's suggestion: these designation are less related to aircraft "type" or "specification" than they are to role and equipment. In the Circulars, you see phrases like "equipped as two-seater corps observation airplane." A Liberty-engined DH-4 could thus be an attack plane, an artillery-spotting type, or a corps observation type. Or the Atlantic-Fokker version of the Fokker C.IV could be both the AO-1 (Artillery Observation) and, when re-equipped, the CO-4 (Corps Observation).

Probably a useless answer given all your research, have you tried a look here Air Service Information Circulars ?
Thank you for sharing an interesting link! There were plenty "Technical Bulletins" here, that contains information on the aviation and science activities of US Armed Forces of 1920s, includng photos, 3-views, and technical descriptions of many rare aircraft. Quite informative reading.

Silencer,

I've spent the last two days going through that circular and numerous others. LOTS of interesting information and data on the early days of testing, construction and aerodynamics, but nothing directly speaking to my questions.

So, while the search goes on, my archives are now filled with a bunch of interesting reports providing background information!

Thanks very much.

AlanG

So, while the search goes on, my archives are now filled with a bunch of interesting reports providing background information!

ACResearcher!​

The pleasure is mine! Actually, Bill S in his post reveals to us the "golden mine" of information. There were some neat reports among these bunch of papers: I found a long ad comprehensive list of all American pilots' who shot down any aircraft (heavier and lighter than air) in WW1. Mr. Rickenbacker is the "Number One" among others. But... It's a lot of persons who managed to shot down just one enemy airplane or balloon. And some of them are marked with asterisks - they pay own lives for this achievements.

I wish you a lot of discoveries and unexpected findings among these papers. Looks, like the "legacy" of Air Service/Air Corps preserved well and - could be found in various open sources.
Curiously, "old-fashioned" Aerofiles.com has a small article about McCook/Wright Field aircraft numbers

Possibly helpful in finding additional information:

"By the time the United States entered World War I, aerial visual and photographic reconnaissance had become principle sources of intelligence used by the British and French for planning and executing battles. Following the lead of the Allies, the fledgling U.S. Air Service deployed 18 Aero Squadrons (Observation) to France in 1917 and 1918. Of these, 14 served with 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th Corps. The first corps-level observation group was established in 1st Corps."

"In April 1918, the 1st Corps Observation Group was assigned to the Toul Sector in support of the 26th Division. The Group consisted of the 1st Aero Squadron, responsible for long-range visual observation and aerial photographic missions and adjustment of divisional heavy artillery fire; and the 12th Aero Squadron, which conducted short-range visual and photographic missions, light artillery spotting missions and infantry contact patrols. During its eight months of operations, the Group also temporarily included the 50th and 88th Aero Squadrons."

"Each squadron consisted of 18 pilots and 18 observers, all officers. The Group also had a Photographic Officer, responsible for installing cameras on the aircraft and overseeing development of photographs after the missions, and a Branch Intelligence Officer (BIO). The BIO, assigned by the American Expeditionary Forces (AEF) G-2, studied and interpreted the photographs and distributed all relevant information to higher commands."

Back
Top Bottom