USAAF cancelled contracts

alemilb

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I’m an Italian aviation history enthusiast.
I collect info about aircraft production in Italy, US and UK.
Regarding US, I’ve gathered info from various sources, mainly Andrade, Parsch, Baugher and Putnam Aviation books.
The issue I’m dealing now is to collect all info about FY serial numbers, and I’m trying to fill in all the FY serial numbers referring to cancelled contracts aircraft models.
I attach to this message a file with the list of serial numbers until FY 1945 which were allocated to cancelled contracts.
Could anybody help me?

I hope this message would be correctly allocated in this forum and that it could be of interest for some of you.
I’m available for exchanging or giving you the info I have, especially for Italian aircraft production.
Thank you in advance for your help.

Ciao,
Alessandro

PS
Among the Putnam books regarding US companies, I miss the book about Grumman. Could someone provide me at least the production list (I believe it is in the Appendix section, in the similar way of other Putnam books).

PS2
To Jos Heyman…..your new website is great!!!!!!!

Attachments

• cancelled contracts A.pdf
    901.2 KB · Views: 38
Hi Alemilb,

I have a book about US serial numbers aircraft,can you more specific and explain
which aircraft you want their serial numbers ?.

Hi Alemilb

Joe Baugher's website on US Military Serials is probably the only publicly available listing of USAAF, US Navy, USCG and other serials but, IMHO, there are bits and pieces on the fate of individual aircraft missing that I picked up from other websites. I have conveyed those to Joe Baugher but the work he does in updating his listings is colossal and, as such, not all of these updates have been inserted yet. However, for cancelled contracts Baugher will do.

As far as Rene Francillon's Grumman book is concerned there is Appendix B with design numbers and representative projects. Is that what you mean.

By the way, your list that you refer to did not come through. Could you send it direct to me and I will compare it with my (unpublished) serial listing.

Have fun

And to Hesham: what book on US serial numbers do you refer to?

My dear Jos,

here is the name of the book;

US Military Aircraft Designations & Serials 1909-1979

Hi both,

My attached list is still awaiting for approvai, in the meanwhile I send it to you.

Hesham, the book you referred to is the Andrade famous one?
I've already it.

Many thanks
Alessandro

OK Alemilb,

and I hope to see your list.

Hallo everybody,

I'm not able to send you the list as attched file in the message section.
Is it now available on the forum?

Alessandro

Hello alemilb!

As far as I remember, you (as new member) could made such attachments after few initial posts.
So, now you could insert the list in post.

Cheers!

Attachment is approved above.

The first few posts and attachments are manually approved to foil spammers.

hesham said:
US Military Aircraft Designations & Serials 1909-1979

Thank you Alemilb,

and I saw from more twenty years a book about US military aircraft serial numbers,not this
book of course,and it contained Douglas XC-143 (DC-9).

Hesham, it is a pity you do not recall the source, and more important the year of publication of such 'Earth shattering' information.
As far as I know the XC-143A designation was assigned to the Curtiss Wright 200 in late 1961 and the design was redesignated as X-19 on 12 February 1962.
Later that year, on 18 September 1962, the C designations went out of use and was replaced by the Tri-service C designations..
Construction of the DC-9 began on 26 July 1963 and the first flight was made on 25 February 1965 (source: Eden, P. et al, The Complete Encyclopedia of World Aircraft (2002), p.607). The design of the DC-9 started in the early 1960s.
Based on these dates I find it unacceptable to believe that XC-143 was linked to the DC-9 unless we know the source (so that we can assess its trustworthiness) and the year attached to the suggestion (so that we can put it in a timeframe). Any argument that the DC-9 was considered as an alternative to the CW 200 would be unacceptable because of the VTOL nature, unless we would be talking about a completely different design labelled as DC-9 (highly unlikely IMHO)
And I know that the C-143 was hijacked by the USCG in February 2006 for its Canadair Challenger.
Having said all that, I might be wrong - I might have missed something like that in the many years I have been working on US military designations. So I am quite willing to accept a XC-143/DC-9 if the information comes from a reliable source.

Your suggestion is something similar as the Lear Jet Q-20 reference I saw in the late fifties/early sixties. Being young and inexperienced I did not keep a record of the source and I have, since then, declined to include this designation in my data base. But may be. one day I will run across that reference again.

My dear Jos,

unfortunately,from more than twenty years ago,I wasn't rich enough to purchase every
book I like it,I saw many books in libraries and institutes,and all I remember it was looks
a handbook but had many pages,more than 200.

Hi Jos,

usually in Putnam books there is a section as appendix reporting the production lists of all the models built by the company.
I believe it could be the same in Grumman book.

Many thanks,

Alessandro