US UAV and UCAV Technology

Fair enough, but their usage of the word seems misleading to me.

Only for you. Others understand it
I'm aware of the definition. The article to my reading used the word "prime" as a classification of a company rather absolutely rather than the condition of a company in a particular contract or program. I consider it a poor choice of words. Your mileage may differ.

Attachments

• message-editor_2F1585604737277-gho-schematic.png
    message-editor_2F1585604737277-gho-schematic.png
    355.1 KB · Views: 213
Thanks for that; I definitely DID somehow miss that. Seems like a bit of a niche aircraft but still very interesting.

Article is from 2020. but it went under everyone's radar, must have been COVID.
thank you for posting x-39, wondering what happened there.

raw attached quiet EDFs, assuming, but they just are not very stealth... + what still appears to be near vertical surfaces are....well U know. UR tax dollars at work

Thanks for that; I definitely DID somehow miss that. Seems like a bit of a niche aircraft but still very interesting.

It's a much larger program than you might think. It's the largest program (in terms of $) that Scaled has ever done, as far as I can tell.

And there might be a photo of it (or its little brother) here on the forum and has been here for years.

It's a much larger program than you might think. It's the largest program (in terms of $) that Scaled has ever done, as far as I can tell.

And there might be a photo of it (or its little brother) here on the forum and has been here for years.

After Great Horned Owl, there was Little Horned Owl. Low signature, smaller, runway independent. Boeing And Northrop built vehicles for it.

lho-x.jpg

Attachments

• LHO_slicksheet_12022021.pdf
    772.2 KB · Views: 23
Even than Model 324 / Scarab sale to Egypt where Scaled built the airframes? I would have thought that would be significantly above everything else due to the c. 50 numbers vs c. 1 for every other Scaled programme.

Even than Model 324 / Scarab sale to Egypt where Scaled built the airframes? I would have thought that would be significantly above everything else due to the c. 50 numbers vs c. 1 for every other Scaled programme.

I do not know the amount for the Scarab contract, but yes this was almost definitely larger.

Ok, so according to this article, at some point plans were laid to further develop "Great Horned Owl" into an stealthy UCAV, I wonder if these panned out.
The Defense Department’s advanced research agency is exploring the X Prime concept with two different projects. One is the Shepard program (for Series Hybrid-Electric Propulsion Aircraft Demonstrator) to develop an efficient hybrid-electric system and integrate it into an innovative aircraft design that includes essential operational considerations and mission system components.
“Shepard is taking a pure X-plane, the Great Horned Owl, which was a great demonstration of a capability for hybrid-electric propulsion but wasn’t something you can use in the battlespace,” Leahy said. “We’re going to wrap a new skin around it to give it the survivability that it needs. And we’re going to try to demonstrate we can do that quickly.”
Great Horned Owl was an early-2000s Intelligence Advanced Research Projects Activity (IARPA) program to develop an ultraquiet, high-efficiency unmanned aircraft with ducted-fan hybrid-electric propulsion. According to information first obtained by The War Zone, the project resulted in the XRQ-72A flying-wing UAV design developed by Northrop Grumman subsidiary Scaled Composites.

Attachments

• shepard-619.png
    shepard-619.png
    318.3 KB · Views: 138
Ok, so according to this article, at some point plans were laid to further develop "Great Horned Owl" into an stealthy UCAV, I wonder if these panned out.
General Atomics isnt wasting time...

We are working on hybrid electric propulsion,” Atwood said. “We believe that GA is going to pioneer a completely new way to propel airborne air-breathing [vehicles]. That will be unveiled in the coming years, but it is a completely disruptive technology. It uses a hybrid electric system where it’s basically a Tesla Model S and an RQ-170 got together and you have a fully electric aircraft” capable of traveling greater distances.

“The key to this design is [a] heavy fuel engine, driving very efficient generators and motors. And that way we can get fairly low [fan] speeds, get really good efficiency,” Alexander said. “So, this is game changer right here. This is a low-pressure ratio fan, so it’s a little tricky and we got to be careful with it. But we believe once we nail this, get the thrust out of it and installed weight, then that’ll drive that aircraft” to new lengths.

Specifically, Alexander said, the company expects the stealthy MQ-Next design to have 60 hours endurance, without needing to be refueled — a long-distance, long-on-station capability that he specifically noted would “help you cover the South China Sea.” In addition, the design should be able to take off from a 3,000 foot rough runway, meaning if it does need refueling, it could do so at the kind of small bases being looked at under the Air Force’s agile combat employment concept.

Wow! It was clear that this was a obscure program compared to the afromentioned below with.. well.. literally zero PR coverage, but built already? Let's keep in mind that unlike GA Hybrid/electric flying wing, this is an entirely separate design from NG SG-1 submission, thus tailored for different missions and unrelated to MQ-XX initiative I presume?
41375675_1693944761284.jpg

USAF is looking for information regarding engines in the 3000-8000 lb thrust class as part of the CCA program. Also the traits they are most interested in are range, speed, and short take off capability...with speed and take off indicating they are looking for something with somewhat of a greater thrust:weight compared to currently available UAVs.

They want range at speed, hence fuel capacity. Something, altogether added, that invariably translates into thrust.

A handful of documents pertaining to the GHO (Great Horned Owl) program, plus the LHO (Little Horned Owl) logo.

Attachments

• gho.jpg
    gho.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 38
  • factsheet.jpg
    factsheet.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 54
  • gho-schematic.jpg
    gho-schematic.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 55
  • internal.jpg
    internal.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 53
  • memo.jpg
    memo.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 43
  • approval.jpg
    approval.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 29
  • lho.jpg
    lho.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 31
The Air Force awarded contracts to five companies to design and build Collaborative Combat Aircraft that can fly autonomously alongside manned platforms, a spokesperson confirmed. They are:

• Boeing
  • Lockheed Martin
  • Northrop Grumman
  • Anduril
  • General Atomics

There is something weird with this news: wasn't it something already aknowledged to the public? I posted it here as it surfaced in my news feed but then had to scratch my head. What's going on?

There is something weird with this news: wasn't it something already aknowledged to the public? I posted it here as it surfaced in my news feed but then had to scratch my head. What's going on?

Rumors in December, awards in January. Seems about right.

A recent study indicated that lower cost UCAVs, and more of them, is likely the preferred route. This seems to deviate from the recent statement that a CCA might cost 1/3 of an F-35, although that figure was given as more of an absolute ceiling. A previous game last year (that unfortunately cannot locate) involving another group had the same take away: they opted for more and cheaper UAVs, many of them disposable or at least expendable, rather then more reusable equipment.