US built Lend Lease Matilda II

Volkodav

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Reading up on the GM 6046 diesel several years ago I was surprised to see the concept was sketched up by the British purchasing commission as a power option for a proposed US built version of the Matilda II.

The very limited information I have read indicated that the US was not interested in building British tank designs preferring to develop their own designs and supply them instead. What I am particularly interested in is how far this went before being dropped, was there an improved Matilda concept, not only using the GM 6046, but other US components, i.e. say the VVSS of the M-2/3 Medium?

There were cast turrets for early model Churchills produced in North America, The Churchill turret ring diameter was almost the same as the Matildas, it is conceivable that had US production occurred a version with a Churchill turret could have followed, and from that a 6pdr version and even a 75mm version. Probably getting into fantasy land here, but I am interested if anyone has any information on the actual proposal/request for US Matilda, as well as any ideas how the project could have proceeded and what the result would have looked like.

I don't have any information on an American Matilda II, but I imagine by the time something would have been produced it would have been "American built to British specs," rather than a British design built in the US. Similar to T14.

Reading up on the GM 6046 diesel several years ago I was surprised to see the concept was sketched up by the British purchasing commission as a power option for a proposed US built version of the Matilda II.

The very limited information I have read indicated that the US was not interested in building British tank designs preferring to develop their own designs and supply them instead. What I am particularly interested in is how far this went before being dropped, was there an improved Matilda concept, not only using the GM 6046, but other US components, i.e. say the VVSS of the M-2/3 Medium?

There were cast turrets for early model Churchills produced in North America, The Churchill turret ring diameter was almost the same as the Matildas, it is conceivable that had US production occurred a version with a Churchill turret could have followed, and from that a 6pdr version and even a 75mm version. Probably getting into fantasy land here, but I am interested if anyone has any information on the actual proposal/request for US Matilda, as well as any ideas how the project could have proceeded and what the result would have looked like.
Do you have the sketch or source about the GM 6046 Matilda II?

Virtually nothing, just a line about the BPC drawing up a U config engine suitable for the Matilda, using two 6-71s. The 6-71 was used in Canadian Valentines and the Matilda used twin AEC and Leylands. I'm looking for the original I got it from but haven't had much luck.

I am afraid it may have been a simple case of the question was asked and the answer was no. Then again, the 6046 was mass produced and used extensively in the M-3 and M-4 mediums. What I have been looking for is either corroborating information or just as good, information relating to the 6046's development that shows the BPC reference is not factual.

To be honest I would like the story to be true, it sounds authentic, even likely, but the lack of information on the origins of the 6046, one way or the other, is very frustrating.

Virtually nothing, just a line about the BPC drawing up a U config engine suitable for the Matilda, using two 6-71s. The 6-71 was used in Canadian Valentines and the Matilda used twin AEC and Leylands. I'm looking for the original I got it from but haven't had much luck.

I am afraid it may have been a simple case of the question was asked and the answer was no. Then again, the 6046 was mass produced and used extensively in the M-3 and M-4 mediums. What I have been looking for is either corroborating information or just as good, information relating to the 6046's development that shows the BPC reference is not factual.

To be honest I would like the story to be true, it sounds authentic, even likely, but the lack of information on the origins of the 6046, one way or the other, is very frustrating.
engns-jpg.232362

This pictures indicates the GM 6046 is bigger in every dimension than the twin Leylands, but if you look at a single 6-71 it is much shorter and lower even though a U layout tends to increase width and maybe height only, so maybe the extra power output of the 6-71s in the 6046 resulted in a bulkier engine than the derated versions. The weakest setup would give you 276 bhp so just around 10hp/t gross.

Ironically, the Churchill's engine should also fit and be smaller in absolute terms though the quirky layout would still require significant powertrain changes.