Unknown 1944 VTOL Heinkel-Hirth plane by von Ohain (Secret patent) with RR2 (Rasender Roland 2) turbine

novum

It takes all kinds to make a world.
Reaction score
Hi there,

during my 20 year long research on secret Luftwaffe developments 1944/45 in several archives around the world,
I never came across the following VTOL development sketches by von Ohain:

OHAIN_01.png

It is describing a plane by the company of Heinkel-Hirth-Motoren GmbH, Dr. von Ohain, in 1944, that was supposed to have an RR2 turbine attached vertically with regard to the flight direction.

The turbine that was proposed for this plane was a "Rasender Roland 2" or the so called "Tuttlingen" device. Here a picture of this interesting turbine (also developed by von Ohain):

OHAIN_02.png

I am interested if some of the researchers here in this forum found out more about this type of plane.

Kind regards,
Manuel

It seems so. Von Ohain envisaged a plane like that already in the 1930's. Most probably he wanted to put more than one RR2 turbine vertically into the wings.

It seems so. Von Ohain envisaged a plane like that already in the 1930's. Most probably he wanted to put more than one RR2 turbine vertically into the wings.
This almost sounds like a jet-powered Fock-Acheglis 269 / Weserflug P.1003, that is to say if the wings rotate once take-off is achieved. Otherwise, I get more Dornier Do-31 vibes.

Thanks a lot. Yeah I forgot those details, sorry for that.
It's all good mate. I was honestly looking for details on this topic, and when I found that forum, I thought I was onto something until I saw you were the author. Hah! Got me there for a second.