Type 82 class names

uk 75

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
This may have come up before (if so I apologize).

The Type 82s were never formally named as far as I can find. However, given the similarity of the Type 42 names to earlier Bristol class names, can we assume that the 8 or 4 Type 82s if built were earmarked to get these names?

On a similar vein.
The Type 21 frigates were given A names, the Type 22s B, C and then replacement names/London. The Type 23s were initially referred to unofficially as the Daring class.

All very confusing. Does anyone know a site which explores/explains the naming/pennany number system of RN ships?

Given that they would have followed on from the County class i suspect the Pennant No's would have followed D-23 in what sequence was available as the Counties batch II went upto D-21.
The Type 82s would have also probably used Town class names although they were unlikely to be in the same sequence as the Type 42's (The cruiser Sheffield was still the reserve fleet flagship at the time the 82's would have been ordered), probably going with the larger City names like Birmingham, Glasgow, Newcastle, Southampton, Liverpool, Manchester, Cardiff, Edinburgh that had Town class credentials from either WW2 or WW1.