Twin engine F-84 drawing?

famvburg

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
I swear I have seen a drawing of an F-84F type with a solid nose and twin jets mounted on the rear fuselage similar to an A-10 and other twin fuselage mounted engined airplanes. Hesham even mentioned it in a post. I’ve searched but only Hesham’s mentioning shows up. Anyone ever seen this drawing anywhere? Thanks.

I swear I have seen a drawing of an F-84F type with a solid nose and twin jets mounted on the rear fuselage similar to an A-10 and other twin fuselage mounted engined airplanes. Hesham even mentioned it in a post. I’ve searched but only Hesham’s mentioning shows up. Anyone ever seen this drawing anywhere? Thanks.

My dear Famvburg,

that;s so weird,we never heard about something like that,and here's all Info about F-84F.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    963.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 2.png
    2.png
    211.1 KB · Views: 38
Here is part of hesham’s post.

Hi,

there is many developments,which was intended to increase the F-84 life,
such as a twin engined version powered by two GE 1/J1Bs and a four
engined variant powered by GE J85s and designed for close air support
with a combat range of 200 miles

Here is part of hesham’s post.

Hi,

there is many developments,which was intended to increase the F-84 life,
such as a twin engined version powered by two GE 1/J1Bs and a four
engined variant powered by GE J85s and designed for close air support
with a combat range of 200 miles

My dear Famvburg,
if you meant this captions,OK,but as I know there was not a variant with
two engines mounted on the rear of the fuselage ?.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    61.9 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
I don't know about a twin-engined F-84F, but I have seen a brochure for a twin-engined F-86 with the engines on pylons from the aft fuselage. I won't say by who, but this was recovered by dumpster-diving when Rockwell binned all of North American's archives.

I don't know about a twin-engined F-84F, but I have seen a brochure for a twin-engined F-86 with the engines on pylons from the aft fuselage. I won't say by who, but this was recovered by dumpster-diving when Rockwell binned all of North American's archives.
That would be worth seeing. The brochure, not the dumpster diving.

Have you read the textbook "The Fine Art of Dumpster-Diving?"

Like a Canadair CL-76 maybe ?

Attachments

• CL-76.png
    CL-76.png
    58.8 KB · Views: 73
A question I've had regarding these types of modifications where fuselage engines are replaced with wing or pylon engines (especially when there are nose intakes). After the modification there is a huge remaining space where the engine and engine ducts were. Can those realistically be filled with fuel tanks? Or would that would doing so throw off weight balance (which can be handled by limiting the extent of the tanks to keep them centered) or performance (wing loading, t/w, etc.) that it wouldn't make sense?

Talk to BIll Simone, he's the one who recovered it.

A question I've had regarding these types of modifications where fuselage engines are replaced with wing or pylon engines (especially when there are nose intakes). After the modification there is a huge remaining space where the engine and engine ducts were. Can those realistically be filled with fuel tanks? Or would that would doing so throw off weight balance (which can be handled by limiting the extent of the tanks to keep them centered) or performance (wing loading, t/w, etc.) that it wouldn't make sense?
Yes.
Old intake trunks near the center of gravity could be re-purposed as fuel tanks. You still need to install anti-slosh bulkheads and plumbing. OTOH intake trunks near the nose or tail are best left empty ... to reduce balance problems ... or filled with bolted-in avionics.

I'm sorry elmayerle, but are you inferring that Rockwell actually through out North American Aviation archives??:eek:

Regards
Pioneer

I'm sorry elmayerle, but are you inferring that Rockwell actually through out North American Aviation archives??:eek:

Regards
Pioneer
Ayup. And that was hardly the only archive to get tossed. Lockheed pitched the Bell archive, Northrop tossed the Grumman archive. Most companies barely kept archives at all and often ditched them as a cost savings measure. Boeing is about the only American aero company to make an effort to archive their history.

No, he's stating it. Although it wasn't necessarily Rockwell that did it. What I mean, is that it was most likely well below the "evil" corporate layer and many times the tossing happens for other over reasons, reutilization of space, the "minder" retires or is offsite, there is a RIF and the building is closed, no one freaking cares, it's easier to shred than declassify, etc. (Have seen all of these personally).

Fifty Ways to Lose Your History
Just shred the stack, Jack...
(you can make up the rest)

Back
Top Bottom