Twin-engine Curtiss P-40

Some additional info to Stargazers last post.

Twin XP-40- One of the more extreme P-40 modifications proposed
was a twin-engine version. No military designation was assigned and
no Curtiss model number is known but it did get to the full mockup stage
using the fuselage of P-40C (41-13456) and two Packard V-1650-1 engines.
Nothing came of this late 1942 project.

so far : Peter M.Bowers in"Heritage of the Hawk" Airpower ,May 1983.

blackkite said:
Nose heavy?
Not sure, it looks much more logical, than the actual mock-up and some weight forward of the CG
could have been saved by combining te landin gear with the nacelles. I'm not sure, if the fuselage
is elongated in the model, but that probably would have been another modification.

Just looking at the original pic .... I believe that the plane, if actually built in that manner, would be nose heavy. Now if it were built much like GTX's fictional drawing, then it just might be possible for the plane would be a decent flyer. At any rate, I am attempting to test that. I am building a 53" span, electric R/C version of GTX's design

Hi,

here is a profile drawing to P-40 twin engined aircraft.

Aerei Nella Storia

Attachments

• P-40.png
    P-40.png
    477.3 KB · Views: 304
hesham said:
Hi,

here is a profile drawing to P-40 twin engined aircraft.

Aerei Nella Storia

Nope, that shows the early P-40/Hawk 81 type engine cowlings, the mockup used Merlin powered P-40F
components. They look very different.

jcf said:
hesham said:
Nope, that shows the early P-40/Hawk 81 type engine cowlings, the mockup used Merlin powered P-40F
components. They look very different.

I disagree partly. The profile view DOES show a twin-engine configuration (see the thicker line around the cowling, obviously not a single-engine aircraft), though it is not one we've seen previously. Speculation/fantasy on the part of the artist, probably.

To prevent aggravations: jfc didn't doubt, that the drawing shows a twin engined type.
He just noticed, that the cowlings look like the nose of the early P-40 variants (up to
the P-40C, I think) and so probably weren't housing Packard Merlin engines.

Don't know the Aerei Nella Storia magazine, as I cannot read Italian, but it would be
interesting to get to know the context of that drawing.

Treid to transalate the relevant page from that mag (Thank you, hesham) and to my
opinion, it's an independent attempt of a reconstruction of the twin engined mock-up.
But as online translator results are to be taken always with a pinch of salt, maybe it's
time to utilise the "SPF Translator Service" ?
Attached is the text from the mentioned article, maybe one of our Italian members
can have a look at it ? ;)

Attachments

• 2015-05-21 09_28_36-Aerei+Nella+Storia+45.pdf - Adobe Reader.gif
    2015-05-21 09_28_36-Aerei+Nella+Storia+45.pdf - Adobe Reader.gif
    122.6 KB · Views: 375
A twin-engined P-40C

Amidst the twin-engined fighter projects intended for the US Army during the 30s and 40s, there are some of the lesser known in the whole History of aviation: notably, we allude to the twin engined version of the P-40 and to the Curtiss XP-71 project.

In regards to the first one, we only know it was designed around 1940 and that in 1942 [line missing] (which could have even been a flying prototype) made up of the fuselage of a P-40C (s/n 41-13456) joined to a modified wing with the engines on top, to keep the propellers sufficiently far away from the ground.

It's possible that this project, of which no documentation is left, was part of a series of concepts for a High-Speed Fighter, a sort of forerunner to the XP-71, about which we'll write later on.

In regards to the mock up we talked about before (static or flying) we only have one picture we know of, and we can presume that it would have used the same engines employed on other Curtiss-Wright projects of the era, like the traditional V-12 Allison V-1710-39 (F3R), the 24-cylinder Pratt & Whitney XH-2600 or the inverted V-12 Continental XIV-1400-3 Hyper, all of them water cooled, although for the production run were chosen two Packard (Rolls-Royce) V-1650-1 Merlin developing 1300 hp (or at least that's what relate the very few informations available). Such a progression in regards to the powerplant choice, can give us a chronological reference for the project, due to the fact that all those American experimental engines were under development during the 30s, while the Merlin became available only towards the end of 1940.

We have no known reference about its possible first flight, and it could even be there never was one.

At the roots of what we ourselves called the Twin P-40 - as no official designation for it is known - was surely the will to make a leap forward in regards to the previous P-36, XP-37, XP-40 and XP-42, but also the attempt to jump into the tender spawned by the Circular Proposal 39-775 for a high altitude interceptor. As we know, its winner was the Lockheed XP-49 while the Grumman XP-50 placed second.

The available documentation doesn't mention what the other two proposed projects were and in which order did they place, but it could be that the P-40 Twin came fourth during the evaluation trials that took place in the second semester of 1939.

It's clear, though, that Curtiss kept on developing it for over a year, seeing that both airframe and engine became available only in 1941.

For sure it was thought that the P-40 Twin could be a useful testbed for other contemporary programs.

Hope it can be of use.

Regards.

That's very nice of you CiTrus90, thanks a lot.

My impression is that this twin-engine P-40 project may have been Curtiss's entry in the XP-50 competition, but of course it's only guesswork based on the year, configuration and general requirements for that specification.

A number of years ago a well-known kit designer/friend and I looked at the Twin P-40 at length, more of an exercise of curiosity than anything else - although I did end up having a 1/48th scale resin conversion done for this aircraft that I never released.

Anyway, here is what we decided at the time:

The fuselage strongly appears to be that of P-40D/E, etc.
The serial number appears to be completely spurious and may have been put on just to purposely confuse things or may have been on a tail sitting around.
The engines appear to be Packard Merlins, NOT Allisons. They lack to top air intake typical of the Allisons.

When built up into a model it is a quite impressive edifice, but totally "wrong" on so many levels. I doubt the landing gear could have withstood that much extra weight, nor could the wing spars withstand the number of "g"s to which they would have been subjected in almost any sort of maneuvering. Visibility from the cockpit certainly looks like it would have dramatically limited in a number of important aspects.

Lacking any sort of documentation (I suspect it may exist somewhere in the huge numbers of Curtiss documents being held prisoner and unidentified at the NASM Hazy center), we finally decided in frustration that a bunch of Curtiss engineers and line workers got really drunk one weekend and built the thing out of spite.

I don't know if this helps or not, but at least it may give a grin or two and something more to consider.

AlanG

In Curtiss Fighter Aircraft: A Photographic History, 1917-1948 Dean and Hagedorn were unable to uncover any
info on the 'Twin P-40' beyond the single photo, and state their opinion that it was a hoax, created for unknown reasons,
from a short-tail H87 fuselage, P-40D canopy and P-40F cowlings, one of which features a shark mouth.
They also agree that the serial is spurious. The book has a much larger and clearer reproduction of the photo than the
Putnam, and you clearly see how crudely it is put together.

The when and where it was built are both unknown, so stating it was part of the XP-50 'competition'
is a real stretch.

Still think that Peter M. Bowers in his "Airpower " May 1983 article
'Heritage of the Hawk' was very close.
(reply 40)

jcf said:
The when and where it was built are both unknown, so stating it was part of the XP-50 'competition'
is a real stretch.

Sure. I didn't "state" it, I merely said that it was my opinion. I will edit my post to make it even clearer that it's only that.

But come to think of it, why would a company bother to put together some hasty non-flying mock-up job as this if not as a design proposal for some competition?

Skyblazer said:
jcf said:
is a real stretch.

Sure. I didn't "state" it, I merely said that it was my opinion. I will edit my post to make it even clearer that it's only that.

But come to think of it, why would a company bother to put together some hasty non-flying mock-up job as this if not as a design proposal for some competition?
Good question! The only reason I can think of is the USN's need of a twin-engine carrier-based fighter that led to the Grumman F7F Tigercat which was also evaluated as the USAAF XP-65. -SP

For what little it is worth, I vaguely recall reading that the P-40 twin was a non-flying, ground-handling trainer for twin-engined aircraft, cobbled together from wrecks by maintenance staff. I can neither recall nor find a source, however. So I may be hallucinating.

Be that as it may, I doubt that the photo could be a serious mockup. Mockups are meant to give a 3-D impression of how a proposed aircraft will look and, more importanlty, how the components will fit together. Mockups thus have to look more plausible than this thing does--note the angular "fairings" on the aft end of the nacelles. Mockups are also cheaply and quickly built from cardboard and wood, so that they can be quickly and cheaply built and and modified. Two real engines on a real airframe would thus seem rather inconvenient and potentially costly. Finally, the thing does not look anything like a flyable airplane. Visibility looks very poor from the cockpit, except dead ahead. The nacelles look like they would blank the tailplane and rudder. Even without that, turbulent flow from the necessarily bluff-ends of the nacelles would cause controllability issues. There is no additional fin and rudder area to compensate for the large side area of the big flat-sided nacelles. The center of gravity would have to be way out of kilter with two engines, unless a significant amount ballast was added in the tail.

Finally, I wonder what the attraction of a Packard-powered P-40 twin could have been a time when the obviously better P-38 and P-50 were in service or available and when Packards were already too much in demand for use in the P-38?

iverson said:
For what little it is worth, I vaguely recall reading that the P-40 twin was a non-flying, ground-handling trainer for twin-engined aircraft, cobbled together from wrecks by maintenance staff. ...

From what is already said in this thread, it's still the most plausible explanation to me !

The hoax/ground handling mockup theories make the most sense. Those nacelles look like the boxes the engines came in. The engine weight right over the standard P-40 landing gear? They would snap the first landing.

Skyblazer said:
jcf said:
is a real stretch.

Well, nobody knows whether or not it was put together 'by a company', all that exists is a single photo without provenance.

Serial number 41-13456's fate is listed as "condemned Feb 27, 1943" on Joe Baugher's serial site for US aircrafts.

By the way, found a couple more pictures of the same but with different contrast level that might show some more details.

Regards.

Attachments

• P40 TWIN.jpg
    P40 TWIN.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 353
  • 4862L.jpg
    4862L.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 347
https://youtu.be/sIpv3PW1pQ4 - the flying Twin-engine Curtiss P-40 ( ok, only on a flight simulator) :)

(the variant T is purely speculative ) .

Watching video i suppose that Twin-engine Curtiss P-40 could be been an experiment for evaluating the two-engines configurations that could be connected with the development of Xp-71.

With a higher resolution pic like that I'm starting to wonder if the aircraft actually has a nose. It looks almost like it could be a straight cut, but not quite right enough to be certain.

Yep, nothing in front of the firewall.

Here's a pic of a P-40E undergoing a firewall forward rebuild:
df787ce5-95fd-4378-94f7-fc9b44d1f2ec

Jemiba said:
iverson said:
For what little it is worth, I vaguely recall reading that the P-40 twin was a non-flying, ground-handling trainer for twin-engined aircraft, cobbled together from wrecks by maintenance staff. ...

From what is already said in this thread, it's still the most plausible explanation to me !

I agree