Turkish Indigenous Helicopter Program

Interesting. Lots of space between the two cockpits. Likely all of the avionics that resides in the forward avionics bays on an Apache have been moved internal. This would also explain why it appears, to me, to be much taller than AH-64.

Last edited:
"I am happy to share with you the frames from the test flights of our 4th #GÖKBEY , which took off for the first time. I would like to thank all my valuable colleagues who work day and night. We will always continue to work for more."
View: https://twitter.com/Temel_Kotil/status/1526632565112819713?s=20&t=ooTWEomaTwRHB4yEnJQMSw
4th prototype T625 Gokbey with what looks like side winch mount
View attachment 678191

View attachment 678192

You can start to see CHAFF locations for military version of T-625 Gokbey
20220819_155203.jpg

What is known about the project? Does it continue, or is it still frozen?

It continues. TV3-117VMA-SBM1V engines were delivered in late January. The ground test should start in a month or two. They may have even begun, I don't know exactly. They showed the helicopter during the TAI facility tour but didn't allow taking pictures.

It continues. TV3-117VMA-SBM1V engines were delivered in late January. The ground test should start in a month or two. They may have even begun, I don't know exactly. They showed the helicopter during the TAI facility tour but didn't allow taking pictures.
Let me clarify. Is this about T-629, or is it ATACK-2? The T-629 project is interesting, earlier there was a message that the project was frozen, and efforts were directed to the development of the T-929 ATACK-2

Let me clarify. Is this about T-629, or is it ATACK-2? The T-629 project is interesting, earlier there was a message that the project was frozen, and efforts were directed to the development of the T-929 ATACK-2
Oh yes, you are right. I was talking about ATAK-II (T-929). T-629 was frozen as there are enough T-129s. TAI may continue development in the future (2028 and beyond) after all the helicopter projects reach serial production (T-625 GÖKBEY light utility, T-925 medium-lift, and T-929 heavy assault).

A nose only a mother could love.

Turkish Aerospace is in a great position, in the coming years, to sell to those countries that do not want the baggage that goes with power politics associated with first tier powers.

Excellent, the flight system powering ATAK-II will also be used in the 10 ton utility helicopter on the drawing boards, should get a boost in it's development cycle.

10tonen_banner,1944.jpg

Major breakthrough in Turkish aviation, Turkish Gas Turbine engine TEI-TS1400 powering Gokbey helicopter
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gqdIHrhVvM

Might interest some of you, the TEI-TS1400 engine during testing integrated into Gokbey helicopter spooled up to 90% power in 2.2 seconds. Some issues did occur during testing, whilst running the engine for the first time, the engines did burn some residual oil in the engine, this was due to oil not draining back into the bearing sump. The cause of the issue was found and the minor fix was implemented. After the fix, the engine was subjected to 10 days of testing, this involved spooling each engines separately, emergency shut down of each engines, tests of electronic communication between engines, resonance tests and various other testing. After the tests independent committee approved manned test flight, military certification of the engine is expected to be completed in 2 years.

- Chief Test Pilot Arif Ateş, the first pilot who flew with T929:

* Our initial thought was to perform a short flight. We were stable at about 10-15 feet. This is what we call the flight of helicopters anyway. Hover, the hardest flight. But we did not want to land after taking off. Our helicopter's responses were very consistent with the commands we gave so we thought we could increase it a little more. We stayed in the air for about half an hour on the first flight and reached an altitude of 20 feet and a speed of 10 knots. This is the generally accepted profile as regards the first flight of a helicopter in the world.

* At the beginning, we wondered if this would lift, but when we got up, we saw that it was incredibly stable. It is very stable, the motor-rotor integration is very good, the harmony is very good. First flight was extremely smooth and vibration-free. Despite its size, it is a very stable, very good helicopter."

* As part of flight tests, the altitude and speed limits will be increased.

* Currently the world's largest attack helicopter by length.

Source:
https://www.aa.com.tr/tr/bilim-tekn...helikopteri-ve-o-anlari-aaya-anlatti/2885246#

Last edited:
Mr Kotil: "The design (development?) of our 10 ton class utility helicopter continues. The mock-up is also being prepared. We'll show it at the Paris Air Show'

"We are developing an unmanned helicopter. We'll show it at the Paris Air Show."

"First flight of 10t utility helicopter is in 2024, first delivery is in 2026"

"We will deliver 3 Atak IIs to the Land Forces in 2025. Then we'll continue to produce two each month."

Excellent, the flight system powering ATAK-II will also be used in the 10 ton utility helicopter on the drawing boards, should get a boost in it's development cycle.

10tonen_banner,1944.jpg
Having the same dynamic and engine components on both attack and utility helicopters will be a significant cost saver, and marketing point for full mission marketability.

@snne : you might want to rectify the erroneous stated flight altitude ("20 thousand feet" when it might have been 20 feet... Unless mm are to be understood!).