Turkey's F-16 'Project Liberty' (Özgür) modernisation

@aselsan
The ECS of the MURAD AESA radar, which was previously subject to embargo, was localized by
@anova_arge
.The system operates with 28VDC power and has a maximum power consumption of 350W.
View: https://x.com/KAYALP777/status/1827620956027720106

GV0DHR4XYAAFwhm

anyone know why USG or Lockheed is OK with this Ozghur Upgrade? As far as I know there is EUM verification

That 4.5 KW Cooling capacity is important as it shows the limit of possible radar's Average emitted power. From the available images of the antenna and TRM count. That cooling capacity will limit Murad's average emitted power to 1022 Watt or 1 KW.

anyone know why USG or Lockheed is OK with this Ozghur Upgrade?
Because there is always a limit to how far you can push a country to the wall. When that limit is crossed, the make believe rant on the treason of buying the S-400 will suddenly become a child's play. Everything in it is "known" and within reason. Let people think they are özgür/free, do not push them to be so for real.

That 4.5 KW Cooling capacity is important as it shows the limit of possible radar's Average emitted power. From the available images of the antenna and TRM count. That cooling capacity will limit Murad's average emitted power to 1022 Watt or 1 KW.
Thanks for the estimates

EDIT: By the way, the radar itself is called MURAD-100A.

View: https://x.com/Flankerchan/status/1828052802016510273

View: https://x.com/Flankerchan/status/1828052811105620044

GV6I56La8AAARTJ
GV6JYdvbsAAWRmX
GV6L7PvbAAE-6f_
GV6MCClXEAETMEG

It may not be an official document but it still does a decent job at giving you an idea.

View attachment 738717View attachment 738718
Very close to the figures I got in IDEF, they told me around 50 to 60nm for engaging (I guess this corresponds to PD90) 1m² target.

Also said targeting data for 8 aerial and/or? 6 naval/land targets. Radar is also capable of performing EW, I guess this was written in ASELSAN advertisement so no need to go there

@stealthflanker I guess your calculations are very good and helpful

There is also the possibility of 4.5kW being the average cooling capacity, but F-16 can supply 5kW at max so I don't think that 4.5kW is average

Very close to the figures I got in IDEF, they told me around 50 to 60nm for engaging (I guess this corresponds to PD90) 1m² target.

Also said targeting data for 8 aerial and/or? 6 naval/land targets. Radar is also capable of performing EW, I guess this was written in ASELSAN advertisement so no need to go there

@stealthflanker I guess your calculations are very good and helpful

There is also the possibility of 4.5kW being the average cooling capacity, but F-16 can supply 5kW at max so I don't think that 4.5kW is average
Up to 4.5 KW so that is max figure

1724741319196.png

Part of the Ozgur programme, development of AA missiles. Another footage of Gokdogan BVR missile was released yesterday

"Our first domestic and national air-to-air missile #GÖKDOĞAN hit the target accurately during the firing test activities conducted together with our Air Forces Command.

We would like to express our gratitude to all our stakeholders who contributed to this proud success."
View: https://x.com/SavunmaSanayii/status/1829604880321036389

Aselsan MURAD AESA
1725272578266.png

Translated -
Capabilities
  • Automatic target classification using artificial intelligence
  • Multi-target tracking
  • Ground mapping
  • Automatic altitude determination
  • Effective guidance to munitions
  • Higher and longer-range field of view
  • Imaging below the clouds with SAR (Synthetic Aperture Radar)
  • Wideband radar spectrum monitoring (ESM - Electronic Support Measures)
  • Directed electronic jamming (ECM - Electronic Countermeasures)
The NATIONAL AESA AIRCRAFT NOSE RADAR was developed with 100% domestic capabilities. Its first flight is scheduled for February 2024 on the F-16 Özgür platform. It will be deployed on F-16 Özgür, HÜRJET, AKINCI, KIZILELMA, and ANKA-3.

Images from the tests of the MURAD-100A AESA radar at ASELSAN facilities.
1726485480236.png 1726485487141.png

Also been tested inflight onboard a transport aircraft, i believe in a similar fashion as to S.Koreans with the radar facing out the rear cargo bay doors
1726487223665.png 1726487285995.png

Last edited:
Images from the tests of the MURAD-100A AESA radar at ASELSAN facilities.
View attachment 741014View attachment 741015

Also been tested inflight onboard a transport aircraft, i believe in a similar fashion as to S.Koreans with the radar facing out the rear cargo bay doors
View attachment 741016View attachment 741017
"With the development of MURAD 100-A, our country has been included in the top five countries in this field, and the production of our radar, which has been carried out nationally at every stage from the development of the GaN (Gallium Nitrate) chip to the final product, and whose flight tests have been initiated, has begun in our facilities with high-tech infrastructures in high volumes."
Via: @Radonislav

Last edited:
While i don't think development will fail, it's prudent to finish development and install it on fighters first(overcoming American resistance at that).

It's literally their first fighter aesa, and quite an ambitious one. Things can go wrong.

While i don't think development will fail, it's prudent to finish development and install it on fighters first(overcoming American resistance at that).

It's literally their first fighter aesa, and quite an ambitious one. Things can go wrong.
According to the CEO Ahmet Akyol, development and qualifications of hardware is complete, they are working on software optimisations and expect it to be fully ready in 2026

Well the subcomponent development is already done and all they have to finish now with the trials is the software which will take a long time to mature even after the introduction into service anyway.

Dergi-4-KAPAK-5.jpg

GJlcl1LXUAAGAfH

Moreover, those GaN TRM "tiles" that Aselsan has developed have already been used in other radar projects so I don't see a reason why not to prepare for a large mass production of airborne FCRs.

GL30yGPXYAA3TbG

Aselsan is investing in automated production lines for radars and radarcomponents. There was previously talks about a dark factory where there would be little if any humans working.

"Digital transformation and the adoption of robotic production methods will not only increase productivity but also improve the quality of products. In this context, ASELSAN aims to optimize production processes by using advanced technologies, reduce human errors and ultimately offer high quality radar systems to its customers.

The first phase of construction is expected to commence in the second quarter, and this production facility will be used for the robot-assisted mass production of a large number of radar components, radar seeker heads and AESA nose radars. In the 7,000 square meter integration area, it is aimed to carry out superstructure (platform level) production."

Last edited:
Once this modification programme is in production I wonder if Turkey will offer it to Ukraine?
I think it wouldn't be an overstatement if we said there will be an internal demand for hundreds of these within this decade so I find it hard to believe that they can churn out enough radars for export.

Besides, NG has a way larger production capacity and the APG-83 is already more than a decade old at this point; so if Ukraine is to receive AESA radars for their jets (which is hard to believe for me), I think it would most likely be SABR (or, possibly Raven ES-05/Vixen 1000 E).

Last edited:
I think it wouldn't be an overstatement if we said there will be an internal demand for hundreds of these within this decade so I find it hard to believe for them to churn out enough radars for export.
Akıncı, Hürjet and F-16Ö's all use MURAD-100(110)A

Kızılelma is going to have MURAD-200A with better stealth (probably better LPI) properties

According to the CEO Ahmet Akyol, development and qualifications of hardware is complete, they are working on software optimisations and expect it to be fully ready in 2026
As we know, software isn't a small thing in modern development...
If they can get to where they are, their TRMs are indeed ready(not on a fighter though, which is important) - but that's just the beginning.
Once this modification programme is in production I wonder if Turkey will offer it to Ukraine?
Turkiye typically can do everything - but only for hard cash, and it will be available only several years into the future. Pure business.
Plus the problem with US agreeing to any modifications to US aircraft still stands.

Realistically, the only option here is F-16V, which will be done for US taxpayer money and at the expense of all the other orders.

As we know, software isn't a small thing in modern development...
If they can get to where they are, their TRMs are indeed ready(not on a fighter though, which is important) - but that's just the beginning.

Turkiye typically can do everything - but only for hard cash, and it will be available only relatively far into the future.
Plus the problem with US agreeing to any modifications to US aircraft still stand.

Realistically, the only option here is F-16V, which will be done for US taxpayer money and at the expense of all the other orders.
I am not saying it is easy work, but it is clearly not a roadblock for serial production of the hardware.

Also CEO also said essential functions were tested and ready. I don't know what are those essential functions are

From 2025 to 2035 Aselsan needs to deliver 160 radars for F-16 B30,B40 and B50. 100 radars for Hürjet. 100+ radars for Kizilelma B and C. 60+ radars for Kaan and 100+ radars for Akinci and Anka. We are talking about more than 600.000 TRM in total.

Those are just the air-to-air radars not to mention all the other AESA radars.

From 2025 to 2035 Aselsan needs to deliver 160 radars for F-16 B30,B40 and B50. 100 radars for Hürjet. 100+ radars for Kizilelma B and C. 60+ radars for Kaan and 100+ radars for Akinci and Anka. We are talking about more than 600.000 TRM in total.

That's why they are building that lights out factory. Can't keep with the demand with the current production line

I am not saying it is easy work, but it is clearly not a roadblock for serial production of the hardware.

Also CEO also said essential functions were tested and ready. I don't know what are those essential functions are
Correction, what he said was "all important functions" not essential

“Bir yandan MURAD AESA Burun Radarı ile uçuşlar devam ederken, diğer yandan üretimler de devam ediyor. Üretimlerine başlamış durumdayız. Dolayısıyla bundan sonra optimizasyon konuları var sadece. Ve önemli fonksiyonların hepsi implemente edildi. Son kullanıcının yorumlarına ve deneyimlerine bağlı olmakla birlikte biz MURAD’ın savaş uçaklarında 2 yıl sonra operasyonel olabileceğini düşünüyoruz.”

“While flights with the MURAD AESA Radar continue, production also continues. We have already started production. Therefore, from now on, there is only optimization. And all important functions have been implemented. Depending on the end user’s comments and experiences, we think that MURAD can be operational in fighter aircraft in 2 years.”

Ozgur is a modernisation package for the Block 30. Turkey is still hopeful for the Viper upgrade package for the Block 40 and 50, if that doesn't happen an Turkish official did state that they would implement Ozgur package for the 40 and 50 as well. As it stands however there are no plans for Ozgur to be implemented for the 40 and 50, yet...

Ozgur is a modernisation package for the Block 30. Turkey is still hopeful for the Viper upgrade package for the Block 40 and 50, if that doesn't happen an Turkish official did state that they would implement Ozgur package for the 40 and 50 as well. As it stands however there are no plans for Ozgur to be implemented for the 40 and 50, yet...
79 upgrade packages is too little for the number of B40 and B50 in service.

If you are talking about the current Viper Upgrade, it is only for Block 40 and 50+ Aircraft. The DCSA report clearly states that.

TurAF Block 40/50s will undergo ÖZGÜR-II. They signed the contract at IDEF last year. I don't know if you were there, but the TurAF General (I don't remember his name) who was at the ceremony said all the Block 50 Aircraft would receive ÖZGÜR-II.

MURAD Radar is literally developed for the ÖZGÜR-II project. ÖZGÜR-I is only an avionics upgrade for the Block 30 aircraft. MURAD is not part of it; it will be implemented after Block 30 ÖZGÜR-I as a retrofit project. That's why there are two separate ÖZGÜR-II projects (Block 30 ÖZGÜR-II and Block 40/50 ÖZGÜR-II). One is MURAD radar retrofit for the Block 30 ÖZGÜR-I aircraft, and the other one is for the Block 40 and 50 F-16s. They even signed the contracts separately.

Edit: Haluk Görgün, Gürcan Okumuş, Ahmet Akyol, Murat İkinci, and Temel Kotil were there at the ceremony, but pretty much nobody from the press attended the event. It was super weird.

Last edited:
79 upgrade packages is too little for the number of B40 and B50 in service.
@snne, you need to correct me with this one. I don't know how true this is, but multiple sources claimed that MSB/TurAF plans to reduce the number of Block 40 aircraft from the Viper package or altogether remove them and go with the ÖZGÜR-II mod.

@snne, you need to correct me with this one. I don't know how true this is, but multiple sources claimed that MSB/TurAF plans to reduce the number of Block 40 aircraft from the Viper package or altogether remove them and go with the ÖZGÜR-II mod.
This is indeed being discussed by TurAF