The US Space Force

I wish they would do the opposite of AvWeek and have SPACE in bigger letters than “air”

As long as they don't do it by artificially handicapping existing providers.
Fortunately the way that reads is that the existing EELV class (I date myself) will stay the way it is. There's also an established way for new entrants to enter/compete there (ISTR affixing my signature to a staff summary sheet as a reviewer on something like that over a decade ago). Looks like that phase III focus is the small payload stuff, which should have a lot of potential competition, so the folks out at Kirtland and a few other places.

As long as they don't do it by artificially handicapping existing providers.
Fortunately the way that reads is that the existing EELV class (I date myself) will stay the way it is. There's also an established way for new entrants to enter/compete there (ISTR affixing my signature to a staff summary sheet as a reviewer on something like that over a decade ago). Looks like that phase III focus is the small payload stuff, which should have a lot of potential competition, so the folks out at Kirtland and a few other places.
Looking forward to places like Relativity and Firefly getting into the mix. Rocket Labs too.

Looking forward to places like Relativity and Firefly getting into the mix. Rocket Labs too.
Indeed, there aren't that many Peacekeeper motors left. One of the guys at RL used to be commandant at the school house and a year behind me at B-school. Even the Branson jet might get some action.

Indeed, there aren't that many Peacekeeper motors left. One of the guys at RL used to be commandant at the school house and a year behind me at B-school. Even the Branson jet might get some action.
The down side is you can't really play 'legos" with liquid propellant rockets the way they do with solids.

Have Space Force in my neck of the woods at RAF Feltwell with three golf balls and tiny one. Feltwell falls under the 48th Fighter Wing at RAF Lakenheath around the corner with housing / schools for base personnel and employees.

It was quarter of a century ago working in the local fields around Lakenheath / Hockwold / the fens I noticed the golfballs above the tree tops and wondered who they belonged to. Luckily my gangmaster was ex US Army M1 Abrams tanker (who came to uk from Germany married local lass and settled in Cambs) he told me it as a USAF facility. Couple of years later picked a copy of MoD UFO man Nick Pope first thriller 'Thunder Child' and mentions Feltwell a lot. Then Peterson AFB website had mentioned Feltwell as 5th SWS and even pic of operations center entrance and golfball.

At RAF Mildenhall Air Fete 2000, wandered around hangars to see all the squadrons exhibit their swag so saw there was an AF Spec Command personnel form Feltwell in their blue flightsuits moseing around with their stand. I didnt go over to see them as more interested in the 352nd Special Operations Group stuff. Anyhow there was a vertan USAF Colonel called Chip Terrill Jr who was sat selling his book and signing it called The Air Force Role in Developing International Outer Space Law which 22 years later on still have the copy (my pic).

307084719_10160720619051490_7142520833776199592_n (1).jpg

Around 3 decades ago with closure of RAF Edzell (USN), kinda moved some of the tracking equipment down to Feltwell (did hear from one of the enthusiasts at the viewing areas -Mildenhall / Lakenheath mentioned his mate was a contract HGV driver for Mod and a dozen sixteen wheelers were tasked to bring stuff from scotland to Feltwell. One driving crew decided to stop off at Little Chef somewhere along the motorway the way only for unmarked (implied MoD Police) that was following them to pull, remind the drivers to not to look inside the containers or under the tarpaulin otherwise it could be shot on sight.

Anyhow around 2005/6 timeframe the 5th SWS disbanded as it was said with the advance of BMEWS, space warning extended range capability etc , then sites like Feltwell and another in Japan and Alaska were in effect redundant. If that is the case than why not dismantle the gofballs. Decade later found out Det 4 of 18th (Space) Intelligence Squadron was the quiet resident at Feltwell apart from the 48th housing and schools. But you had to sift through AFSPC website to find it.

I was inside RAF Lakenheath few years back 2018 so managed to take photo of the golfballs from the control tower and recently I was driving from RAF Lakenheath and stopped off before the base to take sunset shots of the golfballs and so here are my photos.

34481949_10156806297526490_7355969442519449600_n.jpg

305100807_10160703159451490_4644922881866402122_n.jpg

With the creation of Space Force, complete restructure so now Feltwell unit is known as the 73rd Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Squadron (ISRS) Detachment 4.

cheers

Well it sounds great... But, if I may, it's going to be a challenge to play the trumpet in airless space.

Something more modern, with synthetizers, could have been, on practical terms only, obviously, more appropriate.

Its more that Russia and China are finally developing capability the US has had for a long time. I suspect that weapon reveal that I read about was the blackstar follow on.
?
"We’re not going to be range-limited any more,” General Thurman asserts. “We’ll be able to pack much more energy into fuels. This has tremendous implications for aircraft designs.”

Among other things, it means that “our younger officers, in their Career lifetimes, will probably see airplanes the size of F-15s going in and out of space,” the ASD Commander asserts.

Endothermic fuel.

That was 1987.

Last edited:
Among other things, it means that “our younger officers, in their Career lifetimes, will probably see airplanes the size of F-15s going in and out of space,” the ASD Commander asserts.

Endothermic fuel.

That was 1987.

It was unrealistic bunk then, and it's unrealistic bunk today. Endothermic fuels are simply *cold* fuels (such as methane) that are used to suck heat out of structures... certainly handy for airbreathing hypersonic vehicles, but they provide no meaningful advantage for spaceflight applications.

Its more that Russia and China are finally developing capability the US has had for a long time. I suspect that weapon reveal that I read about was the blackstar follow on.
?
"We’re not going to be range-limited any more,” General Thurman asserts. “We’ll be able to pack much more energy into fuels. This has tremendous implications for aircraft designs.”

Endothermic fuel.

That was 1987.
I remember reading that back then. Didn't believe it then. Don't believe it now.