The Avro Type 698 Vulcan : The Secrets Behind Its Design and Development

RAP

ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Subtitle: The Secrets Behind Its Design and Development by David Fildes, Pen & Sword 2012. Vulcan lovers need this book, I just got a copy and have flipped through it. It looks outstanding. It has some great info on preliminary design and an interstesting section on Conceptual Designs. This section has lots of drawings- Vulcan Phase 6 with streached fuselage and carrying Skybolts, vertical take-off design, Phoenix carrier (12 of them) and more.

I would expect it to be good - David Fildes is a historian with Avro Heritage Centre at Woodford.

Availble from amazon.es :), I think I'm going to order a copy.

Thank you for the recommendation of this book. I'd come across listings of it, but hadn't decided to get it or not. I have a few other Vulcan books, but now that I've got this one, it is set to be my favorite. It has all of the sorts of info I'd wanted out of my other books on the subject. Plenty of good technical detail and unused early designs.

I ordered this book based on the comments in this thread and it was an excellent decision. Not only does it contain a fantastic amount of detail about both the aircraft and the development programme but it also includes details and drawings of virtually every Vulcan development proposal; not just the latter Phase 5 & 6 but also unused designs from the Mk 2 design process and from the early phases of development. There is also discussion of various weapons proposals (including drawings of the aircraft carrying various OR.1149/59/82 proposals). This is an excellent book and a great companion to Chris Gibson's Vulcans Hammer in particular but also to BSP Jet Bombers.

Thanks to everyone who commented in this thread, this is one of the reasons why I love this forum!

Received the book today. At first sight it worths every cent, and that's a thick volume at almost 500 pages long and it's full of photos and, best of all, drawings.

I already have Tim Laming's "Vulcan Story", Chris Gibson "Vulcan's Hammer" and "Battle Fight", Tony Buttler "Bristish Secret Projects" and many articles from magazines and internet sources. But this book still has a lot of unknown information including drawings of development design stages, unbuilt Vulcan versions, alternative and related designs (Part Six. Conceptual Projects. Pg 391 to 434)

Strongly recommended from experts to newbies

I get my copy today.
It's a one of the best book for unknown project lovers!

As someone who can be rather fussy about his books (to say the least) I am very grateful to this website for the steer to buy this book.
My copy arrived mint from Amazon this morning. It is conveniently the same size as my copy of the official history of the RAF Nuclear forces or the Putnam series.
If you are only buying one book on the Vulcan I can definitely agree that this is the one. Yes, I know I have a weakness for colour stuff and artwork but this book is proof that using good material that is the right size and comprehensive in black and white also does the job.
This is one of those books that will be referred to again and again and is what the 9 year old in me treasures as a rainy day book.
A happy hippo (yes I still have my Hippo books from childhood!)
UK 75

blackkite said:
I get my copy today.
It's a one of the best book for unknown project lovers!
SECONDED!! My copy arrived yesterday and it's full of fascinating data.

What is the page count? Publisher's description says 328, but one review on the same site says 487.

I have my copy in hand; 487 is the correct page count.

I really can not praise this book enough. For instance I am right now looking at general arrangement drawings of supersonic Vulcan concepts under the designation Avro 732 on pg.416-18.

Got my copy today. Very interesting book. Large parts of the book are excerpts from original Avro documents. Its not really a coherent narrative of the Vulcan, more of a sourcebook of primary materials largely drawn from the Avro Heritage Centre. If you want a readable history of the Vulcan in service, you'd be better off with other books. Plenty of cool stuff though.

Well, the inclusion of original documents is a good sign from my PoV! :)

A very interesting article, especially the later sections on VC.7 and VC.10.

eric: thank you. Who knew that the Vulcan wing ("unfit for a Bomber") had been so...aided by RAE?

NASA survives, but I know not whether with Whitcombs funded to work on transport airfoils. Neither RAE nor NPL do/have. Neither do Avro Canada, Convair, Douglas, HSAL, Vickers...and Boeing's sub-contracting of Engineering (may have) contributed to the 737 MAX issue. So novelty/ creativity must now rest in the Air Vehicle Prime. So...black/stealth: creativity 1990-ish; production volume >2010. But what do the creative talent do for the rest of their inventive span? There is a comment in the Paper that the innovator, formed at Hull Uni, spent his career in RAE: "waste of a good man": but today he would go straight into some form of geeky kit: gestation-junk, 10 years.

Subtitle: The Secrets Behind Its Design and Development by David Fildes, Pen & Sword 2012. Vulcan lovers need this book, I just got a copy and have flipped through it. It looks outstanding. It has some great info on preliminary design and an interstesting section on Conceptual Designs. This section has lots of drawings- Vulcan Phase 6 with streached fuselage and carrying Skybolts, vertical take-off design, Phoenix carrier (12 of them) and more.
View: https://twitter.com/AvroVulcan617/status/664531150015188992