The Avico Press topic: technical and editorial Q & A

You said they did. Were you joking?

Orionblamblam said:
frank said:
I wondered how they accepted payments. I ordered a couple of the books a week or so ago & ucon said I'd be notified when they were ready. Glad they use PayPal.

Do they? Woo!

AFAIK Paypal only allows payments *from* Russia, not *to* Russia. To stop all those pesky Russian mafiosi from fleecing Westerners, no doubt.

Sorry, I took this: "I'm just waiting for the Paypal ordering instructions for the book..." to mean they did, so I guess it really was a joke.

Orionblamblam said:
frank said:
You said they did.

No, I didn't. I said I'm *waiting* for them to do so.

as far as I know you will have no problems with paypal payment - this somehow will be arranged

I will order as soon as I am confident a proper procedure is in effect and I understand it. That could be a real challange!

Dear UCON.
First, an happy near year for you and "avico press".
For us a lot of new Russian airplanes studies, so interesting.
A question.With your wishes I can see a pretty drawing
of an airplane....but, I don't know it....
What it is ? Tanks you for an answer.
All my wishes again, bye

Dear Toura!
Thanks a lot for your congratulations and specialy for your interest to russian aviation.
My personal Merry Christmas and very Happy New Year 2009. Looking forward for useful cooperation.
In the pic, you have mentioned and made by world famous Gatial is the first (from 5) variant of Ilyushin Il-56. Thanks to God :) we have found some incredible blue-prints and slowly make restoration.
Best regards once again

Dear UCON.
Thanks you for your prompt answer !
A good Christmas for you. Bye

I sent you an email thru avicopress a few days ago, but I had asked if you were aware of issues with logging in. I have been unable to log in the last few days.

ucon said:
Hi to all!
Two more variants of DVB-102 you may find in www.avicopress.ru:
VM-3 and VM-3A
Regards

Hi, dear Frank!
Yes, it was problems some days ago and there were explanations in SPF made by flateric.
Let me underline - it was not avicopress problem but in Amsderdam's hub.
Regards

Maybe this isn't the right place for this question, but I tried to get onto Avicopress. I got to the airliner window section, and when I clicked on the Design Bureau logos, nothing happened. I tried to register, and the same problem. Is it me, my IP, or is there some secret handshake somewhere?

Kim M

Probably them. They routinely have problems. Try again.

royabulgaf said:
Maybe this isn't the right place for this question, but I tried to get onto Avicopress. I got to the airliner window section, and when I clicked on the Design Bureau logos, nothing happened. I tried to register, and the same problem. Is it me, my IP, or is there some secret handshake somewhere?

Kim M

Hi ucon,

Thanks for these Mya projects, fffabulous stuff!

I like the Avicopress site and am interested in many of the books you offer but when I attempt to register or email it all just stops. Is it yet possible to register and purchase from outside of Russia?

And what more information do you have on the Myasishchev 'Princess'?!; was it a copy, or a conversion of the three built, assuming MoD would have sold them anyway?

Cheers from Oz

Hi again ucon,

Not a good start, messed up on my first post, my excuse is that this site is TOO good, information overload!

Of course I meant the BERIEV 'Princess'.

Humility from Oz

(query reposted in the right thread thread)

Dear Thomas!
Thanks a lot for your post! Yesterday I have recieved a letter from Mr. Hans Niedzballa: "This are very surprising news to me, as I am the initiator of the idea of a very large cargo aircraft to replace overboarding traffic by lorries and cargo trains. The inspiration came from bavarian ministery of traffic. It should have bene shown, whether a very large cargo aircraft could be an alternative for a giant tunnel project over the alpes from Bavaria via Austria to Italy..."
All detailed info I will put in nearest future in the Avico Press site.
Best regards!

PLEASE, everyone, pardon me for asking ucon here, but I've had no luck reaching him via PMs or emails or his site. Ucon, I never received any update on my order of a couple of your books a year ago. Are you still doing the books or what? Thanks & again, please pardon my posting here.

ucon said:
Dear Thomas!
Thanks a lot for your post! Yesterday I have recieved a letter from Mr. Hans Niedzballa: "This are very surprising news to me, as I am the initiator of the idea of a very large cargo aircraft to replace overboarding traffic by lorries and cargo trains. The inspiration came from bavarian ministery of traffic. It should have bene shown, whether a very large cargo aircraft could be an alternative for a giant tunnel project over the alpes from Bavaria via Austria to Italy..."
All detailed info I will put in nearest future in the Avico Press site.
Best regards!

Dear Colleagues
We briefly introduced you to some illustrative material for high-altitude aircraft of MDB.
We really appreciate your opinions and criticisms to make the book even better.
The book consists of the history of the creation of aircraft to fight with balloons, more than 30 variants and modifications on each aircraft with line-drawings, cutaway drawings, color schemes, technical data. History is written on base of real documents and close cooperation with the MDB.
Each review will be gratefully accepted.

Dear Triton the main problem with english edition is native-speaking editor

Ucon,

can't deny that Russian Language books are a problem. I can't read it, just translate fragments. It takes a lot effort and I miss a lot info. Nevertheless, given the high quality of Avicopress, if you can give a reliable and user friendly web to help secure orders (I just suffered a bad experience with Amazon) you can count on me as a loyal and enthusiastic customer forever.

Antonio

ucon said:
Dear Triton the main problem with english edition is native-speaking editor

One question here, ucon:
When you say that the problem is the editor, do you mean this because he doesn't speak English, or because he is against the idea of translating the books?

For you folks who have been able to get Avicopress pubs, how have you done so? Over a year & a half later, Ucon & I haven't made contact well enough to arrange payment for an order I requested in November '08.

pometablava said:
Ucon,

can't deny that Russian Language books are a problem. I can't read it, just translate fragments. It takes a lot effort and I miss a lot info. Nevertheless, given the high quality of Avicopress, if you can give a reliable and user friendly web to help secure orders (I just suffered a bad experience with Amazon) you can count on me as a loyal and enthusiastic customer forever.

Antonio

"Dear Triton the main problem with english edition is native-speaking editor"

Ucon, I have experience in editing and writing in English....plus I am a native
speaker. No experience with Russian, but if you could provide a rough English
translation I could certainly help. AND I have done this professionally.

Cheers.

Friends if publishers aimed to translate his works into English, they would long ago have done and turning on a professional level. However, other publishers, why do not hurry to translate their works from English into Russian. So, we're in the same situation.

To Mr. Frank and the others

There is no problems with our site – we offer an easy registration and access to many unique materials. If you have problems, you can always PM me at the Secret Project forum or send me e-mail.

Everybody who has ordered our books, got them without any problems (otherwise SPF would be full of complaints). We use book-on-demand printing, which is performed within a few days and allows us to print as much copies as required. There is no a case to my knowledge that someone ordered a book from Avico-Press and never got it.

Mr. Frank, as soon as your intentions to get our editions will turn into real orders - you immediately will get the book (or books).

Now, regarding publications in English. Surely, we would like, hands off, to publish our books in English. But then we need a translator - native speaker, who is knowledgeable in aviation and can easily translate sometimes very specific terms.

We have no such person in our inner circle, to our sorrow. This work is painful job of enthusiast that probably can’t bring a lot of money.

Moreover, foreign publishers (Ian Allan, for example), require us to put editor’s name of the English edition before the author’s name on the cover. Looks not quite cool in our opinion - imagine that you spent several years writing the book, to find out that certain John Smith appears from nowhere and stands over you.

In Russia, the editor never becomes the author.

Secondly, we have a completely different style in presenting the contents. We have rejected handmade drawings long time ago, switched to color print and do not use secondary sources.

Therefore, multi-volume "The Illustrated Encyclopedia of MDB Aircraft" went through three editions (all sold-out with great success) and now we are preparing the fourth, completely new and enriched edition.

As all probably know, the PayPal still doesn’t allow Russian residents to receive funds, so we forced to use (damn expensive for sender) Western Union. Hope that PayPal will change its policy one day…soon.

And the last thing. We are a small private publishing house, which is trying to do our job well. You are our priceless customers and critics – we are ready to hear your opinion.

Thank you.

There are a few other possibilities.

One is a machine translation using something like Systran. Nasty, but more understandable than Russian to an English speaker and, lightly edited by someone knowledgeable, could work.

Another would be - rather than trying to translate the whole giant encyclopedia - translate small sections likely to sell well and sell them separately as small monographs. That would be a more manageable approach and there might be someone on the forum with good enough Russian and English to do it (I won't mention you Flateric as you are busy enough :)

I am appaled that Western publishers insist on applying their own name to the books in place of the original publisher and above all other mentions... I've seen that happen in the past, but I didn't think it was THAT systematic. One way to override that problem would be to start your own English language branch based abroad! At the least, you could find a reasonable deal with a Western publisher of similar size and quality whereby you would ensure the marketing of their books in Russian while they would do the same for your books in English.

Ucon, I think you are doing an amazing job, and have my full support and eternal appreciation. I hope, before long, to buy all your books on Myasishchev. Huge thanks for your contribution.

Another PM sent to you.

ucon said:
To Mr. Frank and the others

There is no problems with our site – we offer an easy registration and access to many unique materials. If you have problems, you can always PM me at the Secret Project forum or send me e-mail.

Everybody who has ordered our books, got them without any problems (otherwise SPF would be full of complaints). We use book-on-demand printing, which is performed within a few days and allows us to print as much copies as required. There is no a case to my knowledge that someone ordered a book from Avico-Press and never got it.

Mr. Frank, as soon as your intentions to get our editions will turn into real orders - you immediately will get the book (or books).

Now, regarding publications in English. Surely, we would like, hands off, to publish our books in English. But then we need a translator - native speaker, who is knowledgeable in aviation and can easily translate sometimes very specific terms.

We have no such person in our inner circle, to our sorrow. This work is painful job of enthusiast that probably can’t bring a lot of money.

Moreover, foreign publishers (Ian Allan, for example), require us to put editor’s name of the English edition before the author’s name on the cover. Looks not quite cool in our opinion - imagine that you spent several years writing the book, to find out that certain John Smith appears from nowhere and stands over you.

In Russia, the editor never becomes the author.

Secondly, we have a completely different style in presenting the contents. We have rejected handmade drawings long time ago, switched to color print and do not use secondary sources.

Therefore, multi-volume "The Illustrated Encyclopedia of MDB Aircraft" went through three editions (all sold-out with great success) and now we are preparing the fourth, completely new and enriched edition.

As all probably know, the PayPal still doesn’t allow Russian residents to receive funds, so we forced to use (damn expensive for sender) Western Union. Hope that PayPal will change its policy one day…soon.

And the last thing. We are a small private publishing house, which is trying to do our job well. You are our priceless customers and critics – we are ready to hear your opinion.

Thank you.

Thank you very much, dear Foiling for your support! It is very important for us.

For whom, who did not know (or don't know): Very first edition of "Illustrated Encyclopedia of MDB aircraft". Sold out within 3 months.

Attachments

• Plakat.jpg
    Plakat.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 386
Dear Mr. Frank, I've got your message, thank you very much. Site was never locked and I could hardly understand what's going on. Hundreds users have no problem. I will send to private letter. Best regards

Topic created to alleviate the old Myasishchev thread.

Please feel free to write here about any questions concerning Avico Press, both online and in paper form.

Also remember that forum member ucon co-runs Avico Press, so it can also be a good thing to contact him personally if the question is not of general interest to other members.