Super Sabre AH

zen

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
In 1954 there was a discussion of a licensed Super Sabre option for Australia using two Avon RA7s in a modified fusilage.

It would have been an interesting development and raises the question why such wasn't offered to the UK.

Because a twin engined Super Sabre does potentially deliver a potent system....

Equally a RA.19R was considered for a single engined solution.

.....why such wasn't offered to the UK
The UK didn't exactly want for Avon-powered airframe projects in the period in question. Companies such as Armstrong Whitworth, Bristol et al (the list is extensive) would have had no issue knocking together something well into F-100 performance parameters had the money and will been there. It clearly wasn't before Sandys and after Sandys..... Yes I know I'm turning into a broken record. No harm in speculation though.

Peripherally, before I was aware of this project, I was planning on modelling a twin-engine F-100 possibly with "fixed" Westinghouse J46s or PD-24s (J46/Avon blends). A Eurofighter Typhoon fuselage cut immediately behind the cockpit and a PM F-100 cockpit substituted looks pretty "50s cool" and maintains that loaf shape aft (I don't claim practicality here). Like a hundred other projects, I might have to get a fire under that.