Soviet MFI/I-90 designs

The multiparametric "Lamprey" model was made in TsAGI in the early nineties. The MFI MiG 1.42 was already put into production in 1992 - 1994.

Last edited by a moderator:
The multiparametric "Lamprey" model was made in TsAGI in the early nineties. The MFI MiG 1.42 was already put into production in 1992 - 1994
Thank you for your answer!

Best regards

Last edited:
The multiparametric "Lamprey" model was made in TsAGI in the early nineties. The MFI MiG 1.42 was already put into production in 1992 - 1994

My dear Paralay,

actually the development of this beast began in 1989.

actually the development of this beast began in 1989.
source please

This is one temporarily,but it's not the main source,I know it was
a Russian magazine ?;

Seems that you are mixing 1.44 with 1.42

Do you see original question? "If Lamprey was related to MFI/1.44/1.42 studies?"
Paralay says no as Lamprey was made and tested in early 90s (and yes, it was so) when production version 1.42 already was in jigs at Sokol plant where Paralay did work then.
You say "actually the development of this beast began in 1989"
Then you say: "it was originated in 1983 and not 1989"
What average forum reader should think? What beast of three did you mean? Because your answer looks like Lamprey was built in 1989 (no, it was not).

Unfortunately I have two dates for development and studing the aircraft
(of course I spoke about one design,1.42) in my files,1989 and 1983,and when
check from the book; The Osprey Encyclopedia of Russian Aircraft 1875-1995,
I found the 1983 was right.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    31.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 2.png
    2.png
    115.6 KB · Views: 39
Well, I read the MFI section in Yefim Gordon's book on the Su-57 and I don't think it sheds any significant new light on the MFI program. Most of it is straight recycled from his earlier book.

Several pics are taken from this topic, in my opinion. Some pics in the book date back to this 1997 web page I remember very well:

Last edited:
History of a picture. This is from Russian Aviation (1995) edited by A. G. Bratukhin.

RussianAviation.jpg

Clipboard01.png

On P.236 we find this pic "The working section of the T-203 low speed wind tunnel".

In 1997 Alexei Gretchikhine published a speculative webpage on the MFI / 1.42, before it was made public. He included this picture and captions it thus:

"The T-203 low-speed wind tunnel located at Siberian Research Institute of Aviation (SibNIA). All-black scale model mounted in the working section of the tunnel is a twin fin, delta winged aircraft. Note that fins are positioned atop of the twin booms. Aviastroenie Rossii, p. 236."

In PKL 40 Nowe MiG i Su (2000) Yefim Gordon publishes a black and white copy of this pic (unattributed) and captions it as a fifth generation fighter design being tested in SIBNIA's T-203 wind tunnel.

In Red Star 01 - Sukhoi S-37 and Mikoyan MFI (2001) Yefim Gordon prints a black and white copy (unattributed) and labels it

"A Soviet fifth generation fighter undergoing wind tunnel tests at SIBNIA".

In Famous Russian Aircraft : Su-57 (2021) Gordon publishes a grainy cropped image (unattributed) of just the model from this pic and it is captioned:

A still from a video showing a black-painted model of the izdeliye 1.42 suspended upside down in one of TsAGI's wnd tunnels."

So, we have gone from the truth (it is a picture of a model in the T-203 SIBNIA wind tunnel) to a lie (its a still from a video of 1.42 model in TsAGI wind tunnel).

To finish this minor rant, I enhanced the tiny pic bigger using AI software. It looks a lot nicer, but it isn't "genuine" now.
Clipboard01_waifu2x_3x.jpg

Then there's this:

MiG1.42g.jpg

According to Alexi Gretchkine in 1997

Another wind tunnel, another scale model. Although it has no connection with 1.42, the model displays some rudimentary stealth features. Note that forward fuselage is triangular in crossection. TsAGI.

In Su-57 book, this picture is captioned by Gordon

A wind tunnel model of the izdeliye 1.42's fuselage with a chin air intake featuring a vertical splitter and vertical airflow comtrol ramps.

Do you believe this now?

Updated some dead links with Wayback Machine copies.

The SLM-32 model footage can be seen on Youtube.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE38DdQrzJE

I did an AI enhance on this well-known screencap
8035_waifu2x_3x_png.png

And this is interesting - SLM-22 front fuselage in the background shows interesting intake detail quite similar to the S-22 mockup.

8949_waifu2x_3x_png.png

Russia's Air Power at the Crossroads, Chapter 9 (P235) attached.

Attachments

• Prospects For a Fifth Generation Air Superiority Fighter.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 79