Pioneer

Seek out and close with the enemy
Reaction score
G'day gents

I stumbled across this Soviet prototype 2S2 (122mm I assume!) airborne SPH design, which looks like it is based on the BMD-1 chassis

Does anyone have any more info (specifications/drawings/pics) on this design?
Also does anyone know why it didn't it enter service?

Looking forward to what we can come up with

Regards
Pioneer

Attachments

• Soviet 2S2 Nona-D Airborne SPH protoype (Pic2).jpg
    Soviet 2S2 Nona-D Airborne SPH protoype (Pic2).jpg
    82 KB · Views: 330
Wow....that's probably the only photo of the 2S2 on the net ;D

The 2S2 "Fialka" used the 2A32-122 mm gun on a BMD-1 chasis, top speed of 60km/h, weighed 10T and had a crew of 4. Produced in 1968 and AFAIK a single prototype. It wasn't accepted in service because the BMD-1 had trouble handling the recoil of the gun.

Nothing on it in English but here's a couple Russian and one Czech page on the 2S2.

Thanks for your input gents

Happy New Year

Regards
Pioneer

Have you got a pic of the 2S2?

Yes please!!

Unfortunately, photos 2C2 unavailable. Cry If I find - just tell!

Fingers crossed!!

Sorry Stranger_NR, but I lack any Russian - what is
Maybe, it is 2С8 "Ландыш"
??
I looked at the link to the site you kindly highlighted, can you give me a rough translation ;D

Thanks gents for your input!!

Regards
Pioneer

Pioneer said:
Sorry Stranger_NN, but I lack any Russian - what is
Maybe, it is 2С8 "Ландыш"
I looked at the link to the site you kindly highlighted, can you give me a rough translation ;D

Thanks gents for your input!!

Regards
Pioneer
2C8 "Lily" (Convallária majális) - an experimental 120-mm self-propelled mortar, from which came to the rescue abandoned in favor of a universal system of Nona-S. As the chassis was used BTR-D, but from a "normal" mortar system different a large muzzle brake.

P.S. I am weak in English, so translation is very rough. ::)

Pioneer said:

This is just a brief summary...

The gist of the text is whether the Soviets suffered from a 'superiority complex' for not considering the Czech built 'Pram-S' SP Mortar for the Soviet Army.

Pram-S link: http://community.livejournal.com/shushpanzer_ru/546393.html

Then there's a brief history of how the Soviets experimented with the 2S2 and 2S8 and eventually ended up with the 2S9 Nona which is a 'multi-role' support weapon (mortar + direct fire capability). The author asks the readers whether the right choice was made and maybe the Pram-S (which has a auto-loader and higher rate of fire) would've have been a better choice.

Thank you Stranger_NN for both your time and effort!
P.S. I am weak in English, so translation is very rough. Roll Eyes
I complement you on your English my friend!!

The gist of the text is whether the Soviets suffered from a 'superiority complex' for not considering the Czech built 'Pram-S' SP Mortar for the Soviet Army.

I've never thought of it in this light, but you have something in what you say! I think many in the West forgot the Czech's expertize in designing and building top class military equipment!

Looking at the 'Pram-S' (which I have to admit, I have seen, but not investigated as I should have over the years!!), one would think the basic concept/layout of the 'Pram-S'/BMP arrangement could have been incorporated into a stretched BMD chassis (granted without the 12.7mm AA MG and less amount of 120mm mortar bombs!

Thank you Husar for your time and effort also!!

Regards
Pioneer

"У советских собственная гордость: На буржуев смотрим свысока" (The Soviet's own pride: a bourgeois look down) - a quotation from the works of the Soviet poet Mayakovsky, very popular in the USSR. Title of the article plays up the phrase. It is ironic. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
No worries ;)

Now only if we could get a pic of the 2S2
I present to you pictures of 2 slightly different 120mm gun equipped BMD family SPGs..(one with smooth barrel, one with muzzle brake and fume extractor)

I SERIOUSLY BELIEVE IT IS THE SPECIMEN WITH THE MB AND FE ON THE BARREL.
as the smooth barrel looks more like a 100mm, 107mm or 115mm gun in my opinion .. now if only we knew what that SPG was...

Attachments

• 3019c9a17060c6ba0fdfa741dd401f93.jpg
    3019c9a17060c6ba0fdfa741dd401f93.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 2s2-image01.jpg
    2s2-image01.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 101
Thank you for your time and effort in finding and posting these great pictures Dball!!

Regards
Pioneer

Thank you for your time and effort in finding and posting these great pictures Dball!!

Regards
Pioneer
No biggie at all...it was actually pretty darn easy all I did was look up "2S2 FIALKA" on Google and boom......most results were for the 2S3 SPH or the 2S8 SPM..but I remember finding those two online a little while back.

Whilest I love everything German WW2, WW2 Aeronautics ( Fighters, Bombers, aerial armaments..etc), busting myths which surround WW2 and the Axis which are perpetuated into perpetuity by media and inaccurate war movies. I do actually have interests in Soviet WW2 and Cold War military topics due to the secrecy around these projects and actions.

Seeing how I posted pics of 2 AFV/ SPGs with distinguishable differences.
Does anyone know what the second picture I posted is of??

The story goes that ONLY 1 2S2 WAS BUILT and that it HAD A 122MM D30 derived Howitzer. Well the D30 has a bore evacuator and a muzzlebrake. So that is the darker vehicle on the lighter background of the 2 vehicles I posted. So what is the lighter colored vehicle on the dark background.
It almost appears as if it has a 100mm or 107mm gun of sorts such as an AFV derivative of the 100mm M1944/ BS3 or 107mm m1910/30 or 107mm m1940(m60), 100mm MT-12 Rapira, or even 100mm B34 (naval) KS19 (infantry) AA gun hell even a variant of the 100mm D10/ D54