some questions about In-flight refueling

Archibald

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
I thought I knew about IFR, but I was wrong. For example, how much time does it takes to refuel something as big as a C-5A Galaxy ? or an AWACS (never realized it was a 707 refueling another 707, how about that)

How much fuel is transfered into a Galaxy during a refueling ?

I do know that boom systems transfer fuel at a rate of 1000 or even 1200 gallons per minute (around 4 metric tons per minute or so) - enough for "small" fighters.
I understand higher flow rates are maybe not necessary - but I wonder what would the technical limit be ? 10 tons per minute ?

A single flying boom can transfer fuel at approximately 6,000 lbs per minute. A
single hose-and-drogue can transfer between 1,500 and 2,000 lbs of fuel per minute.
Unlike bombers and other large aircraft, however, fighter aircraft cannot accept fuel at the boom’s maximum rate. (Today’s fighter aircraft can accept fuel at 1,000 to 3,000 lbs per minute whether from the boom or from the hose-and-drogue.)

Thus, the flying boom’s primary advantage over the hose-and-drogue system is lost when refueling fighter aircraft.

Source - CRS RL32910

KC-135R Maximum Transfer Fuel Load: 200,000 pounds (30,947 gallons)

The C-5 Galaxy has 12 integral wing tanks with a capacity of 332,500 pounds (51,450 gallons) of fuel.

Back
Top Bottom