Solar panels for homes.

Foo Fighter

Cum adolescunt hominem verum esse volo.
Reaction score
I live on a residential estate run by a charitable group, being charitable myself I will use their own title.

They have been throwing government money at these properties for a while now but nothing makes a shed load of sense apart from the management taking kick backs.

Completely now kitchens and bathrooms where only a few worktops and tiles are needed for example.

The flat next to mine has had three completely new kitchens installed in the nearly eight years I have been here and the idiot rep say's, "We have a duty to re[place the kitchens and bathrooms ever few years". WTAF? I thought they had a duty of care to not throw money down the ceramic receptacle in the bathroom myself.

Lots of bullying in the past which I now resist like, "You have to let me in or I will evict you" after turning up with no appointment etc.

The actual LAW states that "As assured shorthold tenants you BUY your home by the month and have the absoluite right to live in and enjoy it in privacy. YOU the tenant decide who enters not a third party".

The landlords agency state that "You have no RIGHT to enter and must do so with the cooperation of the tenant so make things more agreeable by only attempting to enter WITH AN APPOINTMENT and the tenants agreement".

Anyhoo, they are putting solar panels on SOME of the roofs which I was told, "You have to let me take photographs of the interior of the flat and you have to let me in whenever I want. No photo's, no solar panels, you will save £500 per annum on energy cost's, is that worth something to you"?

There are two major issues on the technical front:-

No battery farm. How do they run a solar panel setup without this?

How do they allocate the energy produced to individual homes?

Seeing as the energy can only be sent into the main grid, how can they say we save anything?

I have spokent to other resident who have had the new windows installed, no saving in energy use and no improvement on the draughts that plague these properties.

I told the local police and they told me to deny access to my flat, the nonsense given is just that. Today another resident told me I have "Red flags" aginst me at haig and they are wanting me out. I feel a hardening of attitude coming on which might take some time to dissipate.

haig was set up as a charity for disabled veterans of WW1 with deiscounted rents lower than council rented homes for those who qualify. my elderly neighbour does not get the discount despite being an ex WRAF officer. The landlord say's, "Oh but that was soooo long ago".

Sorry, chewing nails and spitting rust now.

With the last rent increase, we were told the discount might not be affordable in future, no doubt helped by their profligacy.

Last edited:
I'm not going to fault you for saying this here, stress involving one's housing is a big stress.

Indeed. Low-cost housing estates run by charitable groups are great. Except when they aren't. Then, they can be the absolute worst combo of potentates and payment-fiddlers ;p

There are two major issues on the technical front:-

No battery farm. How do they run a solar panel setup without this?

How do they allocate the energy produced to individual homes?

Seeing as the energy can only be sent into the main grid, how can they say we save anything?
Sorry to hear about your issues with the landlords - and no need to apologise for wobbling - it happens, and it’s good to share!

As for the issues above - most domestic solar has an inverter associated with it. The inverter changes the solar DC to grid AC, and feeds it into the local grid on a dedicated line.

The inverter tracks how much it sends into the grid and reports that to the electricity utility.

There’s more detail involving how much solar your house uses, if it’s set up for it - but that’s the bare bones of the set up.

Low-cost housing estates run by charitable groups are great. Except when they aren't.
My reality has become similar but a bit different in details from your situation since a health crash in 2005, and that we seem to reside in different countries.
I am now disabled and qualify for government housing assistance since the Social Security Disability amount has from 2009 to current been anywhere from 200 dollars a month below to 25 dollars a month above the poverty level income amount for a household of 1 as determined by the US Department of Health and Human Services.
My health has never been perfect and short term health crashes have caused lost employment which then caused lost income which then caused housing loss via eviction and then a period of homelessness twice prior to the year 2000. Homelessness is stressful. The potential of homelessness is stressful.

There have been a couple housing threats in the last 15 years which I won't describe, but yes, the stress went sky high quickly.
Fortunately they were ultimately resolved in my favor be it by good luck or divine intervention, either way I'll say Thanks!

Where I live now does not have solar panels but being in the US midwest it would absolutely need to be hail resistant.
Wind energy would work too.
As long as the providers of each understand they will by definition be somewhat intermittent given our highly variable wind levels and sky cover levers as cold fronts from Canada and warm fronts from the Gulf of Mexico do their eternal tango in Missouri.

The following may or may not be of personal interest to anyone, but our local climate would impact the level of continuity of solar and wind power generation;

Climate of Missouri
Wayne L. Decker
Professor Emeritus
University of Missouri

Missouri has a continental type of climate marked by strong seasonality. In winter, dry-cold air masses, unchallenged by any topographic barriers, periodically swing south from the northern plains and Canada. If they invade, reasonably humid air, snowfall and rainfall result. In summer, moist, warm air masses, equally unchallenged by topographic barriers, swing north from the Gulf of Mexico and can produce copious amounts of rain, either by fronts or by convectional processes. In some summers, high pressure stagnates over Missouri, creating extended droughty periods. Spring and fall are transitional seasons when abrupt changes in temperature and precipitation may occur due to successive, fast-moving fronts separating contrasting air masses.

All of Missouri experiences "extreme" climate events, and such events must be considered part of the normal climate. Though infrequent in occurrence and often very geographically restricted, these �disturbances� produce environmental changes that may not otherwise have happened and that may be relatively long lasting in their effect. Among these extreme climatic events are high-intensity rains, protracted drought, heat waves and cold waves, ice storms, windstorms, and tornadoes. These climatic events, in turn, may lead to other environmental disturbances such as floods, fires, landslides, and abrupt changes in plant and animal populations and distributions. High-intensity precipitation characterizes all regions of Missouri. The town of Holt in northwestern Missouri holds the world record for a high-intensity rain, having received 12 inches within a 42-minute period on June 22, 1947.

The length of daylight in Missouri (including refraction of sunlight), at latitude 39° north (approximately Columbia), varies from a low of 9 hours and 26 minutes on the December solstice to a high of 14 hours and 55 minutes on the June solstice. Thus, the annual range of length of daylight between the two solstices is approximately 5 1/2 hours. Comparable figures for latitude 36°30' north (Missouri-Arkansas state line) are 9 hours and 40 minutes and 14 hours and 30 minutes, an annual range of less than five hours. Comparable figures for latitude 40°30' north (approximately the Missouri-Iowa state line) are 9 hours and 17 minutes and 15 hours and 4 minutes, or an annual range of just less than 6 hours.

Sorry to hear about your issues with the landlords - and no need to apologise for wobbling - it happens, and it’s good to share!

As for the issues above - most domestic solar has an inverter associated with it. The inverter changes the solar DC to grid AC, and feeds it into the local grid on a dedicated line.

The inverter tracks how much it sends into the grid and reports that to the electricity utility.

There’s more detail involving how much solar your house uses, if it’s set up for it - but that’s the bare bones of the set up.
Thanks folks, I feel a bit less of a twit than yesterday.

This site has 20 flats in five blocks, my problem is that they will have little in the way of control but I suppose if it goes into the grid it will then be metered to us in the usual way.

gritish bas have a poor track record and are insisting that the 92 year old upstairs owes £1000 plus for the last quarter. She has a television on some of the day.

If each house/apartment has its own electricity meter then the solar is usually tied into the house wiring after the meter (with or without a separate solar production meter - local utilities decide yes or no), and the house/apartment meter is replaced with one that keeps track of draw from the grid and feed to the grid separately.

The vast majority of already-installed meters just keep track of flow, counting flow to the grid as if it was from the grid - thus the new "bi-directional" meter.

Really old meters, those with the flat disk inside that spins, actually run backwards during "feed to grid" periods, so they aren't as bad.