Slesarev Svyatogor Giant Russian Bomber (1913-1921)

jzichek

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Do any of our Russian forum members have more information on this enigmatic aircraft? A basic description of the type can be found on Wikipedia and I can't seem to find out much more about it; I've only seen a few images of it published and I have never been able to locate a three-view. For such an enormous aircraft, very few images of it seem to survive.

Russia_sviatogor_1917.jpg

Any further info/images are appreciated!

-Jared

Sturdy looking, I'll say that for it. Are those engine pods, I don't see anything looking like an engine or props.

I'm guessing two strut mounted pusher props driven by engines buried in the fuselage?

Avimimus said:
I'm guessing two strut mounted pusher props driven by engines buried in the fuselage?

The above link has a picture that seems to show the props being belt driven from inside the fuselage.

Quote from the article at the site above: Airplane "Svyatogor" design which was launched in 1913, was a biplane of the classic scheme, but with the original placement inside the fuselage of power plant, equipped with a mechanical drive propellers. According to the original project design intended to use two German motor "Mercedes" of the total output of 600 hp The engines were placed in the center of gravity of the aircraft, the so-called "engine room", so that the on-board mechanics can pass freely between them in the service propulsion system during flight.

Thanks for the link Igor-Mich! The site not only has a three-view of the Svyatogor, but info about a lot of other obscure WW I aircraft I've not seen before. It looks like most of the Russian entries come from the book "Russian Aircraft 1914-1917" by M. Maslov. Anyone know of a source for this book for those of us living outside Russia?

I live in France and bought a copy of this book years ago, but I don't remember how. You should ask our member here "Silencer1", who participated in this book if I remember well.

Jzichek, The book is out of print since long, but sometimes can be located in second hand book shops. It was originally printed in Russia on behalf of a US-based publisher, Icarus Books. A friend of mine is selling several WW I aviation titles in order to gain much needed shelf space for his ever expanding range of books covering the period from 1930s to 1960s; I will ask him whether he still has this one on Russian aircraft (I recall he had the book in his library).

HN

Comparative geometry of two largest Russian planes of the period of the First World War. (At the upper right biggest of a family "Ilya Muromets" /
№107 - at that time had not yet bomber /)

Attachments

• Svyatogor.jpg
    Svyatogor.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 525
Are the two types drawn in the same scale? The size of the Slesarev bomber's wheels is out-of-this-world!! I don't think I ever saw anything like it.

There might be a Bigger Wheel here (7ft9in = 2m36), although the Mannesmann Giant was never completed.

B-36SingleWheel.jpg

Apparently it was 9' 2" dia unmounted (uncompressed by the aircraft sitting on it).

Stargazer2006 said:
Scott, is that a Convair?

Yep. The original B-36 main landing gear. The XC-99 (cargo version of the B-36) also had those single-wheel main landing gears.

At the risk of leading smarter minds further off subject, but it is one of my favourite aircraft: the main wheels of the Douglas XB-19 were about 8'00 diameter.

Attachments

• XB-19 Kaplan.jpg
    XB-19 Kaplan.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 404
Wow! Great pic! Perhaps a mod could split this topic and create a new one entitled "Large aircraft and very big wheels" in the Aerospace section?

I think we have enough material here for that, plus probably more to come, and so the Slesarev topic would not be diverted. Thanks!

Stargazer2006 said:
Wow! Great pic! Perhaps a mod could split this topic and create a new one entitled "Large aircraft and very big wheels" in the Aerospace section?

I think we have enough material here for that, plus probably more to come, and so the Slesarev topic would not be diverted. Thanks!

If so, please do not forget the Mannesmann Poll big wheels!!

HI ALL
Svyatogor is a Russian mythical hero !
Well
but as I don't understand Russian, what is this
plane ?
I found this on the net but one of you could
translate ??
THANKS

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 284
Thank you very much Redstar72 .
I don't look in "secret project" !!!
THANKS AGAIN

toura said:
HI ALL
Svyatogor is a Russian mythical hero !
Well
but as I don't understand Russian, what is this
plane ?
I found this on the net but one of you could
translate ??
THANKS
All that i understood is
  • two Renaul engines of 220hp
  • speed of 105 km/h
  • crew of 3 person
up there are surely description of dimensions of aircraft,

Upper wing span (m) | | 36,0
Length in the flight line (m) | | 21,0
Wing area (m2) | | 180
Flying Weight (kg) | | 6500
Speed ​​at the ground (km / h) | | 114
Ceiling (m) | | 2500
Flight Duration | | 30 hours
(from http://flyingmachines.ru/Site2/Crafts/Craft28198.htm) translated with google translate