Single seat T-38?

Nico

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Hi fellows,
it's really a pity that now the crisis is really biting and we had to work harder than ever to earn the dollars or the euros requested by the insatiable fiscocracy.
Nothwithstanding that, we have to survive, mantain our mind sanity and at least sometime breathe the pure air of our preferred matters.
As you can see, I enclose the pic of a Chevrolet Corvair (it seems to me the first model year) but the matter of my post is the beautiful Northrop YT-38 Talon prototype. I received the photo from a friend of mine that asked me why the Talon looks decidley as a single-seater. I have already downloaded the pic of the Corvair some years ago but in that occasion I was interested in the car and the strangeness of the single seat T-38 was unnoticed.
Frankly, I don't remember if, at least initially, the Tallon was offered also as a single seater. The colleague that forwarded the pic to me asks if the aircraft could be a mock-up, if the aft canopy was replaced by a "solid" canopy for blind flying training or if the T-38 was modified purporting the incoming N-156F (with modified hardware or by some sort of archaic photoshop).
I squeeze my memory but nothing appear to me... Something of you, dear readers, remember something?
By the way, administrators and moderators of Secret Projetcs have ever thought that also in the commercial automotive field there are fascinating unknown development and quite a lot of prototypes and projects never mass produced? Could be an interesting idea...
Nico

Attachments

• Chevrolet-Corvair.jpg
    Chevrolet-Corvair.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 243
Nico said:
Hi fellows,
it's really a pity that now the crisis is really biting and we had to work harder than ever to earn the dollars or the euros requested by the insatiable fiscocracy.

Especially the Italian one.... :mad:

BTW it could be only a sort of Cocoon film applied on the T-38 rear place in order to represent some sort of single-seat variant?

I mean it would be cheap (in the ole' good days) to put some easy to remove white film over the canopy that replace it with a solid one (or to perform some photo-trick at that time very difficult to make).

Ciao
Giuseppe

This is 58-1192, the second prototype YT-38. The black marks on the vertical tail looks like what's left after using the aircraft for static load tests, or at least for calibrating strain gauges for in flight loads work. I think this a prototype at the end of (or slightly beyond) its useful working life, being used for a publicity shot. The paint on the rear canopy was probably quicker and cheaper than actually repairing whatever the flight test guys did to the canopy.

index.php

"After a hard day of breaking the Sound Barrier, there's nothing that excites me and the little woman more than our 1960 Corvair"!

Nico said:
By the way, administrators and moderators of Secret Projetcs have ever thought that also in the commercial automotive field there are fascinating unknown development and quite a lot of prototypes and projects never mass produced? Could be an interesting idea...
Nico

Doesn't interest me, but if enough people wanted it we could have a section for that.

I guess it could have been a simple modification to train bombers crews. Either to replicate night flying during day hours, or for navigators who usually do not enjoy much external view (B-52 for example).
Note there seems to be a little "window" left in the covering, in the last picture.

I guess it could have been a simple modification to train bombers crews. Either to replicate night flying during day hours, or for navigators who usually do not enjoy much external view (B-52 for example).
Note there seems to be a little "window" left in the covering, in the last picture.
In any case, the first prototype had this configuration.

The rear seats were not installed, being replaced (temporarily) with flight test instrumentation and telemetry gear. The canopies were covered/"whited out" to keep the equipment from cooking in the high desert sunlight at Edwards.

The rear seats were not installed, being replaced (temporarily) with flight test instrumentation and telemetry gear. The canopies were covered/"whited out" to keep the equipment from cooking in the high desert sunlight at Edwards.
Makes sense, especially when looking from my laptop instead of my phone screen. ;)

I think, that such trainers should have option to change visibility for rear cabin canopy - just in case of front control malfunctions. Frequently, retractable covers used for this purpose. I agree with aim9xray - the rear cabin could contain test equipment. Moreover, on the color image of 5 aircraft we could see, that various pieces of equipment have been installed.