Shenyang FC-31 prototype to J-XY / J-35 naval fighter

Damn Deino, I thought it was the real thing. Oh well it can't be that long before the real plane gets to land on the Type 003 since they are obviously testing the carrier to see if it fits.

Damn Deino, I thought it was the real thing. Oh well it can't be that long before the real plane gets to land on the Type 003 since they are obviously testing the carrier to see if it fits.

No, unfortunately - but in fact no.one expected a real one that early! - it is not real, but this one is:

J-35 - 20240109 - 種花家的小姐姐2 - 1.jpg J-35 - 20240109 - 種花家的小姐姐2 - 1 part.jpg

Thanks Deino, looking forward to the day that the real thing gets to land on the Type 003 carrier.

Based on the way the cockpit canopy and cockpit is arranged ejection seat is a little forward could a at the minimum a STOL/VTOL version possible lift fan/engine? With twin swivel engine VTOL /TVC for STOL?

Based on the way the cockpit canopy and cockpit is arranged ejection seat is a little forward could a at the minimum a STOL/VTOL version possible lift fan/engine? With twin swivel engine VTOL /TVC for STOL?
No, no possible lift engine. For many reasons, nobody is going to make a dual engine V/STOL aircraft as weight and complexity go way up. I mean that in terms of just not operation, but engine out issues in the hover.

Where exactly you gonna place lift engine(s) or lift fan on your perfect simplified design?
Sorry about that was just wandering if there was something besides looks to the canopy opening forward of the nose vs from behind the cockpit on the "J-35" for the PLAN am just assuming there is a reason outside of VTOL am guessing is a no go how about extra avionics extra ECM/Jamming

You can’t do that easily on a twin engined fighter.

The PLAN would need to design a brand new STOVL fighter for that Springtime, that is if they are serious about developing that particular capability. Remember how long it took the UK to develop the Harrier?

Strictly speaking, it isn't anyhow prohibited to have multi-engined VTOLs, but certainly not here.

It isn’t impossible, but it is difficult to add a F-35B style lift fan if you have two engines and want some semblance of an S-bend in your duct.

Attachments

• IMG_2076.gif
    IMG_2076.gif
    87.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_7893.png
    IMG_7893.png
    445.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_7892.png
    IMG_7892.png
    535 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_7777.png
    IMG_7777.png
    196 KB · Views: 74
FC-31 model shown at AVIC stand at Singapore Airshow 2024.

Was being shown in the “export corner”, with all the various Chinese export goodies such as J-10E, JF-17 and JL-9.

Attachments

• fc-31_sg2024.jpg
    fc-31_sg2024.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Will this re-alight Pakistan's interest in the FC-31? They were interested a few years ago but nothing happened then no news after that.

So I see that Pakistan are going to acquire the FC-31at some point in the future but there was no word on how many examples would be bought, if this holds true then it will be the first export order for the FC-31.

So I see that Pakistan are going to acquire the FC-31at some point in the future but there was no word on how many examples would be bought, if this holds true then it will be the first export order for the FC-31.
First order at all I think

In my opinion its first export customer is very likely to be a Gulf country, in case the PLA decides to allow exports. There are considerable internal and external differences between FC-31V2 and a possible land based version of the J-35; thus I don't think they'd have a production line specifically reserved for producing the FC-31.

Once it enters service, J-35 is going to become a top of the line fighter just like the J-20 and we know how the PLA feels about the confidentiality of their capabilities. Therefore I don't think they would export it anytime soon, at least not until their 6th gen enters service.

Add to that the Naval variant if that enters service and China does the same thing that it did like the J-20 then there will be no way for Pakistan or any other country to purchase the FC-31. Unless they somehow design a special export variant with some of the technology removed.

Point (IMO) is, that the Pakistani social media scene is currently so much overhyped and unrealistic that some refuse to accept facts.

[funny modus on]
This goes even that far that some are claiming - "brother, I told you, I know!" - that in 2018 a third J-31 was flying, since then already nos. 04 & 05 are preparing for a secret handover to Pakistan "soon" so that Pakistan can help perfecting this fighter for the PLA, in the same way, Pakistani input made the J-10C what it is today!
[funny modus off]

Anyway, some of these guys are so obsessed, that the PAF will get their first J-31 within the next 15 to latest 18 months again based on "brother, I told you, I know!"

So, jokes aside ... I'm in fact pretty sure, IF - and that's the point - IF the J-31 ever materialises as a land-based fighter based on the J-35, it will take time - and surely more than two years - and even then, SAC will at first concentrate on building J-35s for the PLAN NA and surely not for Pakistan! Then maybe in several years but again IF!

but again, what do i know? ;)

Point (IMO) is, that the Pakistani social media scene is currently so much overhyped and unrealistic that some refuse to accept facts.

[funny modus on]
This goes even that far that some are claiming - "brother, I told you, I know!" - that in 2018 a third J-31 was flying, since then already nos. 04 & 05 are preparing for a secret handover to Pakistan "soon" so that Pakistan can help perfecting this fighter for the PLA, in the same way, Pakistani input made the J-10C what it is today!
[funny modus off]

Anyway, some of these guys are so obsessed, that the PAF will get their first J-31 within the next 15 to latest 18 months again based on "brother, I told you, I know!"

So, jokes aside ... I'm in fact pretty sure, IF - and that's the point - IF the J-31 ever materialises as a land-based fighter based on the J-35, it will take time - and surely more than two years - and even then, SAC will at first concentrate on building J-35s for the PLAN NA and surely not for Pakistan! Then maybe in several years but again IF!

but again, what do i know? ;)

Their air chief did announce the intention to acquire, but I highly doubt that it can be ready within a year or two since there is no prototype for Fc-31, only demonstrator. Unless of course the rumor of a land based J-35 is real there is no chance that the bird will be ready for delivery in three years.

I wonder what would happen if Pakistan did buy the land based J-31 what would happen in regards to the Radar Absorbent Material or rather the treatment of it? Would Pakistan have to purchase the RAM from China or some how make it themselves?

Finally again some J-35 news! At least I haven't seen these images before
1f60a.png
... would be great to know the number!?
1f914.png

(Images via @ricky Un on Facebook)

J-35 35000x - 20240309 - 1 XL.jpg J-35 35000x - 20240309 - 2 XL.jpg J-35 35000x - 20240309 - 3 XL.jpg

To answer your question Deino, it looks like it is 513 but you can just about see the numbers on the engine air intakes in the middle picture. Don't know why they have dull numbers on the aircraft? Any ideas?

To answer your question Deino, it looks like it is 513 but you can just about see the numbers on the engine air intakes in the middle picture. Don't know why they have dull numbers on the aircraft? Any ideas?

Thanks, but in fact I see no readable numbers at all … maybe here?

IMG_3685.jpeg IMG_3686.jpeg IMG_3687.jpeg

Guy who took the photo blurred it out to prevent people like Deino for extrapolating information from it.

Perhaps my computers monitor is getting on a bit Deino or my eyes were playing tricks on me. Oh well.