Shelldyne and BSEL

Maury Markowitz

From the Great White North!
Reaction score
I'm reading British Secret Projects and came across a passage that piqued my interest:

Developed by Shell in conjunction BSEL, Shelldyne, while having a lower energy per unit of mass, was denser (1.08g/cc) than JP-4\

I can find almost nothing on Shelldyne. There's a few google hits that mention it in passing, but little or no information within. Does anyone have something detailed?

Those mentions I can find are all in the US, not a single one in the UK. So I'm curious about the history of this.

I'm reading British Secret Projects and came across a passage that piqued my interest:

Developed by Shell in conjunction BSEL, Shelldyne, while having a lower energy per unit of mass, was denser (1.08g/cc) than JP-4\

I can find almost nothing on Shelldyne. There's a few google hits that mention it in passing, but little or no information within. Does anyone have something detailed?

Those mentions I can find are all in the US, not a single one in the UK. So I'm curious about the history of this.

"Shelldyne™ -H, hydrogenated dimer of norobornadiene, is an example of a dense fuel (1.11 kg/m3) originally developed as a thermally stable, endothermic fuel for ramjets as RJ-5."

--Forrest S. Forbes, Peter A. Van Splinter, in Encyclopedia of Physical Science and Technology (Third Edition),

There is an extensive discussion of the properties of Shelldyne-H vs. methylcyclohexane in https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/tr/pdf/AD0878778.pdf.

Hydrocarbon Fuels for Advanced Systems, G.H. Ackerman et. al., Shell Development Company

Considering that its describes as "high density fuel" it's most likely a typo and should be 1.11 g/cm^3 aka 1.11 kg/l aka 1.11 ton/m^3. Jet fuel is very roughly 0.8 g/cm^3, water is 1kg/l.

Edit: in fact its described as 1.08g/cc in the OP.

Back
Top Bottom