Seeking Input for Magazine and Newspaper Stories About Aviation and SpTechnology

johngeo

Reporting on White Elephant Technologies
Reaction score
Website
thesiloeresearchinstitute.tumblr.com
I wanted to introduce myself to the Secret Projects community and hope this is the appropriate way to do so.

My name is John Geoghegan and I write a twice weekly column for the Huffington Post about unusual inventions that fail to find a wider market acceptance despite their innovative nature.

I call these inventions White Elephant Technology, or WET. The majority of WET inventions I write about are not speculative, they have been built and field tested. Additionally, many are related to aviation and space technology.

In addition to my HUFFPO column, I write about these unusual technologies for such publications as the New York Times Science section, Smithsonian Air & Space, and Aviation History magazines.

As a result, I've written about such under-appreciated technologies as: wave-powered boats; underwater aircraft carriers; atomic-powered airships; the X-85; the Avro VZ-9AV; an asteroid deflection program; the X-37B; wind-powered cargo ships; personal submersibles; aerial rowboats; and flying aircraft carriers, to name just a few

In other words, I like to report on inventors and inventions that operate WAY outside the box.

I recently joined Secret Projects because your community really gets this stuff. As a result, I wanted to invite your followers to read my weekly column (link below). MORE IMPORTANTLY, I want to encourage them to contact me with any interesting developments related to unusual space and aviation technologies they feel comfortable sharing. Their comments, criticisms and feedback on my HUFFPO column are also welcome.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-geoghegan/

I have immense respect for the quality of the discussions threads on Secret Topics and hope I can tie into the community in a respectful and helpful manner.

Kind regards, jg

It is a pleasure and a privilege to welcome such an seasoned writer and enthusiastic researcher as you are. Welcome aboard! :)

Welcome, John! I noticed in your intro that you mention the X-85. I viewed your Goblin blog and you still say X-85. FYI: It is XF-85. Best wishes, Steve

johngeo said:
Steve, appreciate the catch! That's exactly the kind of mistake I don't want to make. Thanks for pointing it out to me. Best, jg
You're more than welcome! Please point out any mistakes I make. Cheers, Steve

Hi John, welcome, am enjoying your columns. As I'm sure you've picked up by reading the forum, there's a long and rich discussion going on about the military utility of spaceplanes. Thus it might be a little premature to categorize the X-37 a white elephant, since we don't have a clear idea of its performance against its mission, since both are classified.

In the "small world" category, my ex used to work for you at Connecticut mag.

Holy Crow, George. That's the small world department!

I agree with you about it being too early to classify the X-37 as a white elephant. In fact, it seems pretty promising. However, I think they're gonna blow their second launch window, which could mean trouble or nothing. It really is too early to say. I'll have to check out the X-37 threads on Secret Projects as you suggest.

Now, who is your ex? Please email me details at johnjgeoghegan@yahoo. com.

All the best, jg

Steve, thought you should know I just made the corrections XF-85 corrections to my HuffPo column.

The "F" on my computer keyboard must be sticking from overuse ;)

Thanks again for the heads up. Best, jg