Schmidding WW2 "Telescopic bomb".1943

klem

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
During the Second World War Wilhelm Schmidding, the german manufacturer of rocket engines having equipped various German missiles and rocket planes, developed it seems in 1943 a bomb called "Telescopic bomb" with its launching device "Teleskopische bombe und wurfgeraet HLWG". Can anyone enrich this topic by contributing more. any help would be welcome and appreciated. Thanks

As far as I know, the idea was to have bomb with telescopic probe, that would extend in-flight, and detonate the bomb several meters above the ground - to maximize the HE effect of explosion.

P.S. Japanese tested similar concept; a pair of bombs being dropped, connected by cable, so when one bomb hit, the other would immediately explode.

Thank you dear Harry64 for your help. The object mentioned in the L.Dv. 4200; Die deutsche Abwurfmunition, Serie D, Blatt 15: SD 50 Tel bzw SD 70 Tel (Stand: Juli 1944) constitutes a priori an important element I would almost say that it is the project in question it just lacks a confirmation saying that it is well the work of Schmidding which is not the case.

Last edited:
As far as I know, the idea was to have bomb with telescopic probe, that would extend in-flight, and detonate the bomb several meters above the ground - to maximize the HE effect of explosion.
It's a very plausible idea and it could perfectly explain what Schmidding's the telescopic bomb could be!
Just the "Teleskopische bombe und Wurfgeraet HLWG" raises my doubts. No Wurfgeraet HLWG was needed for Tel bombs, while the abbreviaton HL usually stands for Hohlladung, and so it can be interpreted as the Hohlladung Wurfgeraet or shaped charge launcher.

Just the "Teleskopische bombe und Wurfgeraet HLWG" raises my doubts. No Wurfgeraet HLWG was needed for Tel bombs, while the abbreviaton HL usually stands for Hohlladung, and so it can be interpreted as the Hohlladung Wurfgeraet or shaped charge launcher.
Also the probability, yes - that probe function was to explode shaped charge bomb on the optimal distance from target surface.

Who knows, maybe you are right, just German shaped charges had rather short standoff.
On the other hand, another 'telescopic' German projectile that comes to my mind is the 14 WK BS rocket, basically a fin stabilised derivative of the 28 cm Wk Spr, with a 2 m long telescopic probe - it was however still an incendiary shrapnel, not the shaped charge.

Notion may yet see a revival per 'spar torpedo' for NASA's asteroid-bashing mission, but faced with a comet...

Remember the Halley probe got knocked about by the 'coma' debris cloud ? RADAR or LIDAR would not be reliable to gauge stand-off distance to initiate an ablative nuke. Even if that only needs whatever 'shakes' to 'go large', closing speed plus debris leave scant margin...

The last such plan

During the Second World War Wilhelm Schmidding, the german manufacturer of rocket engines having equipped various German missiles and rocket planes, developed it seems in 1943 a bomb called "Telescopic bomb" with its launching device "Teleskopische bombe und wurfgeraet HLWG". Can anyone enrich this topic by contributing more. any help would be welcome and appreciated. Thanks
Hello Klem,

from which source did you get the reference to the "teleskopische Bombe"?