Richard N

Lost in the Sky
Reaction score

Attachments

• RutanRC Kickstarter.JPG
    RutanRC Kickstarter.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 214
Richard N said:
A Kickstarter campaign launching RutanRC to produce radio controlled flying models of Rutan aircraft. Included in pledge packages are flying models, special access to Rutan's SkiGull project and his presentation at Oshkosh, and dinner at his home.

This is one of those days when I do wish I lived across the pond... :'(

Behind the scenes updates on Burt's SkiGull project begin at $149 with a set of airplanes, but overseas shipping will probably be high as these will be light but bulky packages.

Dinner at Burt's house begins at $3500, and it would be an overseas flight, but you could combine that with a tour of US and Canadian air museums or even a trip to Oshkosh.

You'll only get to do this once, so why not take advantage of a once in a lifetime opportunity?

Richard N said:
You'll only get to do this once, so why not take advantage of a once in a lifetime opportunity?

Gasp... because my financial situation is pretty complicated at the moment... :'(

But believe you me, a tour of US museums and archives is something I plan to be doing in the future... and spend an entire month, at least!

Richard N said:
Behind the scenes updates on Burt's SkiGull project begin at $149 with a set of airplanes, but overseas shipping will probably be high as these will be light but bulky packages.

You can get the behind the scenes updates for just $15, without any of the hardware, if I'm reading it right.

As it says right on the main page, the White Knight is a glider; the Spaceship One model uses a ducted fan and an electric motor. It's all stock RC model parts, really.

OK, that makes 'em legal. And boring. I want a WK/SS1 with ducted fan engines and an actual hybrid on the SS1; bonus points for installing a W54 warhead to make the end of the flight more entertaining.

Orionblamblam said:
Are the RC models rocket powered? If so, IIRC the US FedGuv will become terribly interested in the munitions you're developing...

Rocket power will happen. A recently released Me-163B model came with provisions for a rocket motor:

https://youtu.be/Z9tDy5rlEBQ

Use of model rocket motors on AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics-the governing body for model aeronautics in the US) sanctioned fields is allowed as long as the rocket motor stays with the airplane and there is no burn ban in the area; no aerial firing of rocket powered ordnance.

Approaching FL540 (Funding Level) on the second day with a goal of FL2200 with 33 days to go.

Attachments

• RutanRC Kickstarter 04-22-15.JPG
    RutanRC Kickstarter 04-22-15.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 85
Back
Top Bottom