TomS

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Thread for unbuilt RAM launcher concepts (aside from the standard Mk 49 and SeaRAM launchers)

This morning, I reminded myself of an unusual concept to mount Rolling Airframe Missile launchers on the sides of a Mark 45 gun turret. The idea was to use the gun drives and gun fire control to point the missile launchers in the direction of the threat. They also proposed to use the launchers for other payloads, including decoys, which has been a recurring theme for the RAM launcher.

The original patent is by some Navy personnel, but I'm fairly certain this showed up as commercial offering (at least briefly). The patent refers to this as Sideshooter, and I think that was the commercial name as well, but nothing is coming up in my searches.

Friedman mentions this idea very briefly in his World Naval Weapon Systems (4th and 5th editions). He also mentions with several other concepts:

• a proposal to mount RAM tubes on the Contraves Sea Shield CIWS (Sea Shield was like the Sea Zenith quad 25mm CIWS, but deck-mounted and without Sea Zenith's angled turret base)
  • a Hughes proposal for a dedicated vertical RAM launcher for later LHDs (not ExLS)
  • a proposal to launch RAM from the Mk 13 launcher (I think the idea was a twin-pack in place of a single Standard)

If anyone has any info on any of these (or other RAM launchers), it would be appreciated.

Attachments

• US5129307.pdf
    489.4 KB · Views: 101
  • Sideshooter RAM Launcher.jpg
    Sideshooter RAM Launcher.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Found another one. The RAM Alternate Launching System, a lightweight 10-round launcher (2x5-round pods on a pedestal) developed by Per Udsen in Denmark. Reportedly weighed 2.96 tons in the launcher plus 766 kg below decks, compared to 5.2 tons and 936 kg below decks for the Mk 49. (Source here)

The main proposed application of RALS that I remember was on the Newport News FF-21 -- I've grabbed a poor quality snip out of the FF-21 illustration on our FF-21 thread: https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/ff-21-frigate-design-from-newport-news-and-ingalls.2253/

1668517431120.png

Same source confirms my recollection about the Mk 13 adaptor -- two RAM on a disposable strongback that would be ejected from the launcher after firing the missiles.

Last edited:
Also forgot to mention the idea of stuffing 5 RAM each into 2 of the 8 cells on the Mk29 NATO Sea Sparrow launcher. I think that one died because it was too heavy for the Mk29's drive motors.

I vaguely remember seeing something that said the gun mounting couldn't rotate fast enough to be an effective launcher.

Ditto. Adding another several tons to the Mk 45 wasn't going to be easy on the elevation and train motors. You'd probably have to reengineer the whole turret. Then you get to worry about what overpressure and shock from the gun firing would look like on the missile tubes.

Also forgot to mention the idea of stuffing 5 RAM each into 2 of the 8 cells on the Mk29 NATO Sea Sparrow launcher. I think that one died because it was too heavy for the Mk29's drive motors.

1668523225234.png

From a 1981 Johns Hopkins APL Technical Digest Article:
Weapon System Configurations-At the present time, the RAM Missile is planned to be deployed in two weapon system configurations. The first uses the present NATO SEASPARROW launcher (Mk 132) in which two of the eight SEASPARROW's are replaced by two guide inserts containing five RAM rounds each (Fig. 2). Modifications to the SEASPARROW software, launcher, and firing officer's console will be made to accommodate the RAM Weapon System. The semi active guidance NATO SEASPARROW has a longer range than RAM Missiles and can engage both radiating and nonradiating threats, while the RAM Missile measurably increases firepower at shorter range against radiating threats. Computer-assisted weapon employment doctrines are being developed to provide optimum use of these weapons in varying threat situations.

Last edited:
Lockheed Martin ExLS launcher with Rolling Airframe Missile Block 2. Not proceeded with to date. ExLS has only had CAMM integrated to date, all other proposals have come to naught so far. Looks like it will come into service with the RCN in the CAMM configuration on their T26 derivative.

8n8bM6p.png

Picture of the RAM-Mk29 concept, book is from 1987

I'm intrigued by the text about a "smaller" VLS being considered for the Perry and Knox-class frigates. Wonder if they mean a Tactical-Length Mk 41 or something more like the Mk 48 for Sea Sparrow.

I'm guessing that this is Polmar's Ships and Aircraft of the US Fleet? I have the 1984 edition, which doesn't have this particular image or text, but the font and layout style is very similar.

Picture of the RAM-Mk29 concept, book is from 1987

I'm intrigued by the text about a "smaller" VLS being considered for the Perry and Knox-class frigates. Wonder if they mean a Tactical-Length Mk 41 or something more like the Mk 48 for Sea Sparrow.

I'm guessing that this is Polmar's Ships and Aircraft of the US Fleet? I have the 1984 edition, which doesn't have this particular image or text, but the font and layout style is very similar.
Yup, the 15th Edition, for a few bucks it’s a good investment.

I’ve never figured out what it was referencing. Looking at the deck plans of a Knox, I doubt you could fit even a Self-Defense Length Mk41. That being said, maybe it’s talking about the Mk48 or Mk56, mounted above deck?

I’ve never figured out what it was referencing. Looking at the deck plans of a Knox, I doubt you could fit even a Self-Defense Length Mk41. That being said, maybe it’s talking about the Mk48 or Mk56, mounted above deck?
That sounds like the Mk.48

That sounds like the Mk.48

Possibly like the Mk 48 Mod 0 alongside the helo hangar in the Halifax class., But even that takes up a lot of deck area/width that wasn't really there on the Knox class.

More likely this is a reference to a notional "lightweight" VLS that would be mounted right onto the side of a superstructure and vented directly overboard. Like the frigate sketch here:

So apparently the UAE has an 11 cell RAM launcher. I’ve never seen this before. It is *not* SeaRAM

Attachments

• C1E05648-BD6A-4172-8C47-8B757E559057.jpeg
    C1E05648-BD6A-4172-8C47-8B757E559057.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 119
  • C32E018B-592E-4311-832B-1CCE4A13DA8B.jpeg
    C32E018B-592E-4311-832B-1CCE4A13DA8B.jpeg
    57.4 KB · Views: 136
So apparently the UAE has an 11 cell RAM launcher. I’ve never seen this before. It is *not* SeaRAM

It's SeaRAM without the Phalanx radar. I can't find the separate designation, but it's been around as a concept since the 2010s or so. Seems like UAE is the only taker, which suggests those ships are pretty weight-constrained.

it's been around as a concept since the 2010s or so.

My mistake. Since around 2000, apparently.

In November 1998, the United States and Germany amended the Block I
development Memorandum of Understanding to include scope and funding for the
development of a helicopter/aircraft/surface craft (HAS) upgrade of the RAM
missile. Requiring only software changes to the RAM Block I missile, the HAS
upgrade will extend RAM targets to include helicopters, aircraft, and
surface ships. Navy plans indicate that all RAM installations on LSDs, LHDs,
LPDs, and CV/CVNs will be the HAS configuration by 2009. Also, the Navy is
developing an 11-round guided missile launcher in the HAS mode configuration
for installation on CG 52 through 73 between 2004 and 2009.

Danish RAM Alternate Launching System and a different lightweight 8-round launcher by General Dynamics

Attachments

• GeneralDynamicsLightweightRamLauncher.jpg
    GeneralDynamicsLightweightRamLauncher.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 78
  • RalsStanFlex300.jpg
    RalsStanFlex300.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 92
  • RamAlternateLaunchingSystemRALS.jpg
    RamAlternateLaunchingSystemRALS.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 78