Rockets Launcher,70 mm RD-MRWS.(1980)

klem

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
The 70 mm Rapid Deployment Multiple Rocket Weapon System or RD-MRWS was a joint development undertaken during the 1980s by the US Army and BEI Defense Systems of Euless, Texas, to provide rapid deployment forces with a lightweight land-based ground support rocket system. Overall the intention was to deploy in-service 70 mm HYDRA 70 aircraft launch pods installed on ground launchers Typical launch platforms proposed include converted 105 mm howitzer carriages, obsolete chemical rocket launch traiers. converted quadruple machine gun mountings, or purpose-built pedestal installations to be camed on light vehicles. Also developed was a tripod-mounted man-portable launcher for up to four rockets.
The basis of the RD-MRWS is a reloadable seven-round or 19-round launch pod originally intended for use with aircraft or helicopters. Up to eight of these pods can be mounted on a single towed mounting or vehicle installation with a control unit selecting how many rockets and/or podis could be fired at one time. Atypical installation would be a six-pod launcher on a towed trailer, with a four-man crew taking about 10 minutes to load the pods. Rockets could then be fired either individually or in two or four-round salvos - if required all six pods could be emptied in less than seven seconds.
The choice of HYDRA 70 rocket types is wide Starting with a standard HE warhead weighing 4.5 kg, other rocket types available include a cargo warhead carrying various types of multi-purpose sub-munition an anti-armour shaped charge warhead, anti-personnel warhead containing fechettes, screening smoke, illuminating, radar- jamming chaff dispensers Fuze options vary as widely as the warheads, Ranges vary from 700 metres to over 15000 metres. (Artillery: Guns and Rocket Systems / TJ. O'Malley-Greenhill military manuals 1994).(https://www.combatreform.org/groundrockets.htm)

Attachments

• RD-MRWS.jpg
    RD-MRWS.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Whose text are you copying there? I assume it's Jane's but I'm not certain. It is clearly old, given that HIMARS (that MLRS derivative) has been in service for nearly 20 years now.

Whose text are you copying there? I assume it's Jane's but I'm not certain. It is clearly old, given that HIMARS (that MLRS derivative) has been in service for nearly 20 years now.
Thank you dear Toms, absolutely, you are right about the update of the text in relation to the evolution of the system, it is certain that the system has had derivatives, but i believe that this one has not gone beyond the prototype stage. is there any other info on it

A 4xbarrel 77mm rkt launcher which could reach out to 15km!!! A single or pair of dismounts able to effect the battlespace w/ a cluster and now a cluster guided rd would be revolutionary capability. ..would give my car for pic of the 4xbarrel manportable. ..familiar with the trailer.

Thank you dear Toms, absolutely, you are right about the update of the text in relation to the evolution of the system, it is certain that the system has had derivatives, but i believe that this one has not gone beyond the prototype stage. is there any other info on it

There is a new offering similar to the 4-round concept, this time from Arnold Defense.

There were a couple of other 70mm ground launchers around the same time as this proposal, as I recall. Avibras had one, I think.

Last edited:
Not his first time, either.
Personally I would expect that forum policies make it mandatory that such re-use of text must be credited. Mods, what think?

EDIT: It's not only about the ethical/moral aspects (plagiarism, poseur, etc), it is also about creating a silly risk when one publisher will not be amused and will start fine-combing SPF for copyright violations.

Last edited:
Not his first time, either.
Personally I would expect that forum policies make it mandatory that such re-use of text must be credited. Mods, what think?

EDIT: It's not only about the ethical/moral aspects (plagiarism, poseur, etc), it is also about creating a silly risk when one publisher will not be amused and will start fine-combing SPF for copyright violations.
Thanks dear member dan_inbox for these observations, however I point out that this is just a presentation with reference to the author, at no time did I say that it was my text, it is just an informative initiative on my part in this forum, I know the rules of the forum, there is not my opinion in it.however I thank you for these concerns that you have stated proof of your seriousness that I estimate at its fair value.Sincerely yours.

It is good that you fixed your post by adding the credit to the autor after TomS and me called you up on it.
I point out that this is just a presentation with reference to the author, at no time did I say that it was my text
This is completely disingenuous: you originally posted it without any reference to the author, only under your own name. And it wasn't the first occurence.

For me the case is closed now that you have added the credit. Just make sure it doesn't happen again.

There is a new offering similar to the 4-round concept, this time from Arnold Defense.

There were a couple of other 70mm ground launchers around the same time as this proposal, as I recall. Avibras had one, I think.
Thank you TomS, am familiar w/ Arnold Def even on ATVs, but noone is claiming man-portable as of yet. Even a 4xperson portable and a rg out to 15km is a big deal.

Thank you TomS, am familiar w/ Arnold Def even on ATVs, but noone is claiming man-portable as of yet. Even a 4xperson portable and a rg out to 15km is a big deal.
So nothing like this (relatively) man portable Tripod mounted 4 round launcher from Arnold as ordered by US SOCOM in 2020? (Only claims 5km range though)

Attachments

• 135C5F42-A055-473B-AF67-F54A816DAD77.jpeg
    135C5F42-A055-473B-AF67-F54A816DAD77.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 71
  • B012F7A2-BB2B-4B0E-B0D6-D6CE992BBDCE.jpeg
    B012F7A2-BB2B-4B0E-B0D6-D6CE992BBDCE.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 70

So nothing like this (relatively) man portable Tripod mounted 4 round launcher from Arnold as ordered by US SOCOM in 2020? (Only claims 5km range though)
Thank you Justin.

If the Marines are going to be a dispersed force, this could bring the USMC new revelance. When so outnumbered, standoff is life. If your squad LMMG is close enough to engage, you are already likely to be surrounded when outnumbered so significantly.

Whole squads might have to be designed around these creatures and their logistics though.