Replacement of Challenger 2 with Leopard 2

JohnR

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I've seen a number of threads on Youtube that is suggesting that the British Army is considering replacing it Challenger 2's with Leopard 2's instead of undertaking the CLEP. I've got to admit the videos are not brilliant; one of the makers Huff Hack is awful - the read of the stats of various vehicles like they are reading a shopping list and saying things like M K instead of Mark, but there is a degree of logic in what is said, for example the higher initial cost but lower lifetime cost and that it is easier to fit the tank with the uprated 130mm gun fitted.

However, in much of the video's they have shown a re-turreted Challenger with the 130mm gun. I have to admit to a preference for the CH2 hull, it has a good reputation for mechanical reliability, and I prefer the Hydro-gas suspension over the torsion bars of the Leo2, easier repair, no penetration of the hull and increase volume in the tank hull. The hull could also be re-engined with the MTU Europak, increasing power to weight ration, reducing fuel consumption and increasing fuel storage.

Grateful for your opinions and any additional information.

I feel this is the same as hitting traffic on the motorway, whichever way you go, you get home at the same time.

new build leo2 with a130mm are going to cost serious $$?

probably the same as a new turret for the current chassis, new engine etc.

politically it will be chally.

only if France and Germany get it together, and ask U.K. to join in, is there an alternative.

My money is on Challenger 3 with the Rheinmetall turret, with the L55 120mm smooth-bore gun (but as its a new turret with the capacity to fit the 130 mm in the future), on the current hull. Engine upgrades maybe but not a new pack; although that would be nice but not sure the money is there. Not sure people understand the enormous amount of work involved in bring a completely new tank/vehicle into service versus an upgrade.

The brave decision is to go straight to the 130 mm. If Rheinmetall can persuade the UK to go down that path, as the lead nation, just think of the upgrade work they would get if others followed! Not sure the UK is that brave however!

My money is on Challenger 3 with the Rheinmetall turret, with the L55 120mm smooth-bore gun (but as its a new turret with the capacity to fit the 130 mm in the future), on the current hull. Engine upgrades maybe but not a new pack; although that would be nice but not sure the money is there. Not sure people understand the enormous amount of work involved in bring a completely new tank/vehicle into service versus an upgrade.

The brave decision is to go straight to the 130 mm. If Rheinmetall can persuade the UK to go down that path, as the lead nation, just think of the upgrade work they would get if others followed! Not sure the UK is that brave however!
Well we led the way to 120mm, so why not. Boris is into 'big' sorry BIG announcements, we have Tony's carriers, now we will have Boris's great invincible new tanks, with virtual boxing gloves, to knock out the enemy bounders, and instill fair play in the world. Sorry the WORLD.

The other benefit of upgrading, is that you can continue to run the old tanks, 'awaiting upgrade', and dribble the upgrade in over say 10 years.

Chally upgrade, 130mm, upgrade the engine and add more data capture to everything, new comms all round, and the jazzy digital cammo. Is Telford the only place that could do this now?

Well we led the way to 120mm, so why not. Boris is into 'big' sorry BIG announcements, we have Tony's carriers, now we will have Boris's great invincible new tanks, with virtual boxing gloves, to knock out the enemy bounders, and instill fair play in the world. Sorry the WORLD.

The other benefit of upgrading, is that you can continue to run the old tanks, 'awaiting upgrade', and dribble the upgrade in over say 10 years.

Chally upgrade, 130mm, upgrade the engine and add more data capture to everything, new comms all round, and the jazzy digital cammo. Is Telford the only place that could do this now?
New comms means army wide; not a quick or easy project.

New comms means army wide; not a quick or easy project.
More than about time and if they are to mean what they say about being world relevant they need to be meaningful in upgrades and equipment.

Despite my mentioning about the Europack engine upgrade I've also read that the CV12 engine could be upgraded to 1,500 hp. How would that be achieved?

Also given the Bowman comms upgrade is quite recent, what additional upgrade is necessary? Could we buy something off the shelf?

I am going to make myself unpopular here and say that we should get out of the heavy armour business (except for training units with a mixture of M1 Abrams at Suffield in Canada and Leopard 2s at Tidworth or Barnard Castle (sorry!) in UK).
If (and it is a pretty big if) the UK or as it may well be The Kingdom of England hasnt learnt that wars just keep making us poorer (Boer, First W, Second W, Cold, Gulfs Terror etc) and everyone else richer, and decides to waste more lives and treasure defending the Baltic States, Taiwan, or wherever than maybe we will need MBTs.

I am going to make myself unpopular here and say that we should get out of the heavy armour business (except for training units with a mixture of M1 Abrams at Suffield in Canada and Leopard 2s at Tidworth or Barnard Castle (sorry!) in UK).
If (and it is a pretty big if) the UK or as it may well be The Kingdom of England hasnt learnt that wars just keep making us poorer (Boer, First W, Second W, Cold, Gulfs Terror etc) and everyone else richer, and decides to waste more lives and treasure defending the Baltic States, Taiwan, or wherever than maybe we will need MBTs.
Dear uk75,

So get out of heavy armour but have training units with 2 different types of tanks; odd, very odd! There is enough effort, spares etc, in keeping one type in service. Trust me if you do go to war there is nothing better than having 70 tons of metal between you and the bad guys; speaking from experience as an ex-infantryman having been in FV432 APCs and Warrior AIFV. There will always be a place for tanks, or some kind of heavily protected firepower, on the battlefield. An upgraded Challenger 3 will do that.

Regards, Vikingtank.

My rationale was based on the experience of World War 2 where much armour was supplied by the USA.
Post-Covid and Brexit there will be little money and even less appetite for foreign military expeditions.
I hedged my bets between the US and Germany as our key NATO allies. The German military is in worse shape than ours so I would scratch the Leopards.
The US and UK have traditionally been the reinforcements to NATO's front line. Now that we have reduced our army and industry to such an extent, the US option seems sensible.

My rationale was based on the experience of World War 2 where much armour was supplied by the USA.
Post-Covid and Brexit there will be little money and even less appetite for foreign military expeditions.
I hedged my bets between the US and Germany as our key NATO allies. The German military is in worse shape than ours so I would scratch the Leopards.
The US and UK have traditionally been the reinforcements to NATO's front line. Now that we have reduced our army and industry to such an extent, the US option seems sensible.
As the germans get beaten up about not spending enough, you would think they could come up with a new 'lend-lease' so the building of Leo2's counts as german defense spending, and give them to the UK to man. Everyone happy? Right?

An interesting suggestion.
Trying to project thirty years ahead for the life of a new tank is pretty tricky.
Noone in 1984 would have predicted that Challengers would have to serve in Iraq and Yugoslavia rather than the North German Plain.
A diminished England in 2025 may not be the starting point, but at present it looks more likely than the others. Even if the UK holds together and political reforms kick in, it is hard to see where we would be sending tanks.
Even in peacekeeping work as has been pointed out above there is a lot to be said for an MBT. The usually placid Danes found their Leo2 pretty useful.
So what are we talking in practice. For years the only reinforcement armoured unit in the UK was one assigned to the UK Mobile Force. If memory serves, it was the training regiment/squadron.
If we go beyond this, do we give up our Apache force or reduce it?

I can't see us giving up or reducing our Apache force, it's easily deployable and provides excellent fire power in support of ground forces.

With regard to replacing Challenger 2 with Leo 2, I think that to a certain degree we have reaped what we had sown. In my opinion we shouldn't have bucked the trend when introducing the Chally2 by fitting a rifled gun and designed it with a smoothbore from the outset.

Dear all,

When the UK's Integrated Review does finally report this year I hope to see a root and branch reform of the Army orbat (not holding breath!). It is currently a very poor mish-mash of capabilities, vehicles (including Challenger 2), units and roles that needs sorting ASP. This guy below talks a lot of sense although I do not always agree with him (a bit about Challenger 2 is down the lead page a bit); but at least he calls an entrenching tool an entrenching tool!

As for not needing tanks just look at the link below (I check it every day) and see where the UK is involved. Places that can often, and have before, escalated to a point where tanks could be needed. And that is just the places we are involved in now. Defence mentoring is one of the 'in' things worldwide so where the UK could be tomorrow is anybodies guess. And do not forget the Baltics; we are there to stay for the time being with tanks.

Face facts we will be keeping the Challenger 2/3, or what ever it will be called; far too much face will be lost if we bin it. I could comment on all the other vehicle programs but that is outside this thread.

And lastly, for all you doom and gloom merchants, please, please stop listening to a certain public funded broadcaster in the UK and broaden you news watching a bit. France Today would be a good start as it generally reports worldwide news that you will rarely come across elsewhere and not their journalists view of the news!

Enjoy, Vikingtank.

Though there is likely to be a delay on the Integrated Review, there was a report last week that it had been put on hold.

What is left of my regiment is currently running Challenger too, they are intended to translate to the new thing, Ajax or whatever. Essentially translating to the recce role. I know but frankly I cannot be bothered to worry about the new thing until they wake up a decision which will take a while given their current lack of progress.

I loved this bit, I told them they were out of order a long time ago for the same thing, Bankers. "...not their journalists view of the news"! Made my day.

Though there is likely to be a delay on the Integrated Review, there was a report last week that it had been put on hold.
Hi Grey Havoc, They can put it on hold for a while yet, no probs, as long as they come up with a coherent, sensible, workable and funded plan/orbat and not the current one! But breaking the back of the cap badge mafia will be difficult so that units if need be can be amalgamated/re-roled etc. However remember what cap badge the current defence minister was so do not expect any changes (apologies to any Guardsman reading this as I mentioned the word change without warning you) to that particular Division! Vikingtank.

What is left of my regiment is currently running Challenger too, they are intended to translate to the new thing, Ajax or whatever. Essentially translating to the recce role. I know but frankly I cannot be bothered to worry about the new thing until they wake up a decision which will take a while given their current lack of progress.

I loved this bit, I told them they were out of order a long time ago for the same thing, Bankers. "...not their journalists view of the news"! Made my day.
Hi Foo Fighter, Glad to have cheered you up! I can understand you frustrations; however once in service the Ajax family will be brill (if a bit big) and should have replaced Warrior as well but hay ho ........

Now for more laughs; have you read this:

https://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/from...ar-to-fres-to-ajax-the-sixties-and-seventies/ (and keep on reading up to the end although its a few years out of date, at the end, as Boxer had not been selected as the MIV at that stage)

Bring on Challenger 3 with the 130 mm ............

Enjoy, Vikingtank.

Last edited:
Gentlemen
Thank you for responding so politely to my kite flying
BBC Radio 4 has sort of left me with the view that UK/England should just pull the blankets over its head.
The range of activities and involvement of the British Army is greater than I had thought.
Challenger with 130mm sounds a bit like the Oxford and Pfizer vaccines, so yes, go for it.

Hard to keep up, I thought they were talking about a 140mm blunderbus. Maintaining relevence would seem to suggest a 140mm now might get them ahead of things for a while.

The 140mm died long ago (it appeared when the Russians were rumoured to be developing a high-velocity 152mm tank gun). The 130mm is relatively new, and probably performs at least as well.

Hard to keep up, I thought they were talking about a 140mm blunderbus. Maintaining relevence would seem to suggest a 140mm now might get them ahead of things for a while.
Hi Foo Fighter,

The Challenger 2 with the 130 mm,

Vikingtank.

Gentlemen
BBC Radio 4 has sort of left me with the view that UK/England should just pull the blankets over its head.
The range of activities and involvement of the British Army is greater than I had thought.
Challenger with 130mm sounds a bit like the Oxford and Pfizer vaccines, so yes, go for it.
uk 75,

Trust me, the UK as a country, and the military are far from done for; enough said. Anyway more to read on the UK military including Challenger 2: https://thinpinstripedline.blogspot.com/

Shame you get that idea from BBC Radio 4 but it is a enduring issue that most of the UK news channels are less than even handed on their reporting; its the reporters political leanings/opinion that seems to matter more. They are especially poor at reporting on the military.

Hence the forthcoming https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GB_News which claims to be more about the actual world news and to be more even handed on its questioning. We shall see.

Rant over lets get back to the wonderful Challenger 3, hopefully, maybe, perhaps .............

Vikingtank.

Last edited:
Gentlemen
Ahhh and now I see where you're getting this from....BBC Radio 4.
I stopped listening to them over two years ago, after increasingly finding their preference for Woke comedy and biased attitudes towards a host of subjects.
I used to love R4, which was a great support during years of dull manual labour and kept my mind going.
So I say this with some sadness

It's best to understand it's no longer the BBC of old.

I do wonder at the immense negativity whenever someone suggests the UK does anything for itself.

Last edited:
I do wonder at the immense negativity whenever someone suggests the UK does anything for itself.

No new MBT or Challenger upgrade is ever going to be a 100% UK-developed solution. It will be a multi-national acquisition and foreign supply-chain reliant, the same as Ajax, Astute, T45, CVF, Dreadnought, Protector, Typhoon, Tempest, Mosquito, Wedgetail, or Poseidon.

No new MBT or Challenger upgrade is ever going to be a 100% UK-developed solution. It will be a multi-national acquisition and foreign supply-chain reliant, the same as Ajax, Astute, T45, CVF, Dreadnought, Protector, Typhoon, Tempest, Mosquito, Wedgetail, or Poseidon.
Yes
Though that is different from outright foreign purchase. As advocates of Leon seem to suggest.

I am intrigued by this concept of a Challenger mkIII. Which seems use the Challenger 2 chassis or at least something with Cr2 features.
A common gun/ammo of 130mm with other NATO members could lead to a common turret....

What capabilities does the UK have to produce AFV's from 'scratch'. It seems that BAE has bought up virtually all of the AFV manufacturers, ROF, GKN, Alvis and Vickers - admittedly the later three had already merged - and shut them down, except for the former GKN plant in Telford. Is there still any manufacturing facilities for AFV's at Barrow?

What kind of OPFOR would be scared of a vehicle that would not arrive in theater for weeks, demands a huge logistic support for any mobility that is also constrained to a few river crossing points that could be destroyed a hour into the conflict, have effective weapons range shorter than infantry systems, have the biggest sensor signature ever and can be killed semi-reliably by two man infantry weapons?

As a OPFOR, I'd be far more scared of saturation brimestone/spear3/spike/etc strikes whenever anyone with a radio, any aircraft from quadcopter to high attitude stealth aircraft flyby, any sensor from long range standoff to unattended junk, detects me. Spending money to maintain missile overmatch against Soft-kill/APS/C-RAM is decisive, while a bigger tank gun is irrelevant in the huge number of conflicts where they could not be used due to all kinds of constraints (time, A2AD bubble, politics, logistics, infrastructure, casualty aversion, low numbers, plausible deniability needed, etc)

An assault gun is neat for digging out infantry and lowering casualties. It is no going to win wars if air superiority is lost, dismantle recon-strike complexes or break into A2AD.

If you gave any force that fought in the past 30 years a 130~140~152mm armed tank, there would be just about zero positive impact on any of the conflicts fought relative to what happened otherwise. This is unlike, many other piece of equipment that have proven to be decisive.

A somewhat future proof APS system is perhaps a reason to upgrade for lower threat environments, if more asymmetric war is on the table. A bigger gun on a platform what'd die to random two man teams with modern weapons is.....

Last edited:
My approach is to use propositions to tease out arguments and test them. My own knowledge base is rather narrow and definitely weak on the technical side.
My understanding of modern manufacturing/assembly is that it is pretty international but that local political and specialist factors count for a lot.
I get a sense post-Covid that the UK has learnt that it does need to manufacture/assemble stuff in-country.

No offence intended but if the UK decided to go with a domestic future tank then it will have nothing to do with the COVID crisis and everything to do with the associated politics.

What kind of OPFOR would be scared of a vehicle that would not arrive in theater for weeks, demands a huge logistic support for any mobility that is also constrained to a few river crossing points that could be destroyed a hour into the conflict, have effective weapons range shorter than infantry systems, have the biggest sensor signature ever and can be killed semi-reliably by two man infantry weapons?

As a OPFOR, I'd be far more scared of saturation brimestone/spear3/spike/etc strikes whenever anyone with a radio, any aircraft from quadcopter to high attitude stealth aircraft flyby, any sensor from long range standoff to unattended junk, detects me. Spending money to maintain missile overmatch against Soft-kill/APS/C-RAM is decisive, while a bigger tank gun is irrelevant in the huge number of conflicts where they could not be used due to all kinds of constraints (time, A2AD bubble, politics, logistics, infrastructure, casualty aversion, low numbers, plausible deniability needed, etc)

An assault gun is neat for digging out infantry and lowering casualties. It is no going to win wars if air superiority is lost, dismantle recon-strike complexes or break into A2AD.

If you gave any force that fought in the past 30 years a 130~140~152mm armed tank, there would be just about zero positive impact on any of the conflicts fought relative to what happened otherwise. This is unlike, many other piece of equipment that have proven to be decisive.

A somewhat future proof APS system is perhaps a reason to upgrade for lower threat environments, if more asymmetric war is on the table. A bigger gun on a platform what'd die to random two man teams with modern weapons is.....
Yes to all the missiles etc.

But at the end, 'someone' needs to go onto the field of battle, to make sure all the enemy are dead/gone. There will be mines, some enemy, etc. If we line up from an unarmoured landrover, through to a Chall 2 - which one , given this job, would you choose to go in?

We can play rock-paper-scissors all night, a heaily armoured 'bastion' has still got a role.

My approach is to use propositions to tease out arguments and test them. My own knowledge base is rather narrow and definitely weak on the technical side.
My understanding of modern manufacturing/assembly is that it is pretty international but that local political and specialist factors count for a lot.
I get a sense post-Covid that the UK has learnt that it does need to manufacture/assemble stuff in-country.
manufacture yes, basic design, when someone has already done it, is a waste of money. Keeping in mind that a lot of these vehicles evolve over time. Starting from scratch is sure fire way to have fatigue failures, inaccessible components, and unforeseen consequences. 'battle proved' is worth a lot.

But at the end, 'someone' needs to go onto the field of battle, to make sure all the enemy are dead/gone. There will be mines, some enemy, etc. If we line up from an unarmoured landrover, through to a Chall 2 - which one , given this job, would you choose to go in?

We can play rock-paper-scissors all night, a heaily armoured 'bastion' has still got a role.
Now sure how much ground taking does the uk want to be doing. In a Nato defensive war the continentials can probably do it, the logistics makes more sense and the stakes are higher for them.

If one is trying to lower casualties against well hidden enemies, armoring the transports is more important than armoring the support gun: it carries more men.

If one waits long enough, AI should enable UGV/MAV/robots to do most of the job.

If unmanned doesn't happen somehow, a paradigm shift into active defenses can be completely different vehicle concepts than the traditional MBT: after all one can intercept sabots too. Not sure how well this sort of concept keeps up with stuff like EMP/HPM precusors or jammers, but if it doesn't then good protection just plain can't happen.

The MBT has demonstrated its value time and time again in various theatres and roles since the end of the Cold War. It is not, and never has been, invulnerable. But in many situations there is no better substitute.
Until the UK reduces its Army to a limited Island Defence Force with token UN duties, it will have a requirement for a realistic number of MBTs.
Off-the-shelf purchases have worked for Australia and Canada. But Challenger and its derivative recovery and engineer vehicles are as suitable for upgrading as M1 or Leo2.

Until the UK reduces its Army to a limited Island Defence Force with token UN duties, it will have a requirement for a realistic number of MBTs.
A good numbers of governments have been ejected by applications of air power, special forces and handouts of weapons.

Actually stabilizing stuff afterwards doesn't work with that force structure, but who wants the job anyways?

Now sure how much ground taking does the uk want to be doing. In a Nato defensive war the continentials can probably do it, the logistics makes more sense and the stakes are higher for them.

If one is trying to lower casualties against well hidden enemies, armoring the transports is more important than armoring the support gun: it carries more men.

If one waits long enough, AI should enable UGV/MAV/robots to do most of the job.

If unmanned doesn't happen somehow, a paradigm shift into active defenses can be completely different vehicle concepts than the traditional MBT: after all one can intercept sabots too. Not sure how well this sort of concept keeps up with stuff like EMP/HPM precusors or jammers, but if it doesn't then good protection just plain can't happen.
Even in a European war, we will still attack, otherwise we need to refurb the maginot line.... When we move to non-peer adversary then the tank is still of value.

Transports are moving up in armour, hence Ajax, and Bradley replacement - 40 tons plus, basically thats a MBT minus the gun and a a bit of the armour. Along way from the M113 or FV432.

Agree on the UGV etc, but still someone has to go in.

For sure its always a race, I can see 'flying' armour, drone guards etc. Decoy tanks, the lot. its going to be a giant shell game.

No offence intended but if the UK decided to go with a domestic future tank then it will have nothing to do with the COVID crisis and everything to do with the associated politics.
the only part that could be COVID related, is the need to simply spend money, within the UK, employing engineers etc We can either pay people to sit on the dole, or pay them to make things. Better overall to do the making version. IMHO.

On the political side, I agree, the current government will want to push uk build, but still some scope there, i.e. we make all the turrets for Leo3. that still kills of a competitor for the LEo3.

Dear all,

One more link on Challenger 2 before I throw my hat into the ring on the 'do we need the tank' question:

My experience says yes but that will persuade few.

Shin_getter quite rightly points out all the technical assets, many of them airborne, that can be deployed against the tank. For those who have any experience with any type of aircraft/helicopter they will always comment on how bloody unreliable they are (read up on Task Force Hawk in the Balkans) and how ficke they can be. The numbers of airframes of all types that had to be in/nearby Afghanistan just to keep a few aircraft overhead areas of high threat to protect patrols/ops etc was amazing; and that is in a benign air threat. And these wonderful smart munitions cost an arm and a leg each and most countries will have surprisingly low stocks at the onset of war. However the threat from UAVs, especially loitering UAVs, is currently evolving and is definitely a threat to watch; cloud punchers take note (cloud punchers = those very clever air defence chaps). So yes aircraft/helicopters/UAVs are a threat to the tank but unless you are fighting the US not as much as you think - at the moment ...........

And yes the infantry anti-tank weapons, both hand held and vehicle mounted, are indeed a threat to the tank but can be mitigated by the modern active defence systems; just ask Israel/US why they are spending so much money on this area. And of course the the tank armour wins/ATGM wins/tank protection system wins etc, etc technical battle continues. And then there is all the other weapons on the all arms battlefield, tanks do not operate in isolation, to suppress those bad guys with their ATGMs; not guaranteed but it can work.

Both threats to the tank have their place on the battlefield and can be successful but can they knock the tank off the battlefield, especially when operating with an effective all arms force, no not yet.

Azerbaijan has just last year recovered the Armenian occupied Nagorno-Karabakh (Google it) with an extraordinarily successful campaign hugely supported by UAVs, and what a job they did, but it still took tanks, and other parts of the all arms force, to stand on the Lachin corridor cutting off Nagorno-Karabakh from Armenia to win the war for sure. Tanks did that!

And as Fluff alludes to, in a conflict if you want somebody's else's territory, for whatever reason, and hold onto that territory then you need to park your bloody great big tank (or big vehicle with big gun and lots of protection) on the bad guys lawn and say 'I am here what are you going to do about it'. Tanks can do that!

However I do agree with Shin_getter ref infantry assault guns for close support of infantry on the battlefield, and belonging to the infantry, but the purse holders and the tankers would have a fit at that heresy! Oh and by the way the infantry also needs this heavy armour and protection systems, i.e. Israeli Namer, but thats another story!

So long live the well protected, well armed, mobile thing! And as none of us can see the future, the next conflict will be as unexpected as the last........

Vikingtank.

Last edited:
As an ex tanker I am only too aware that tanks will attract 'attention' once in contact with the enemy, whoever they are so frankly would be happy to see infantry attached support and direct fire units. They were proved to be efficient at reducing infantry casualties and something you really need to hold ground is the poor bloody infantry, in trenches dug while under fire or at least observation. I fully understand the cries and woe of those who want to reduce crews and remove tanks but frankly there is no option now and if you build a different vehicle to do the same job, whatever you call it, you will have a bloody tank. Not aimed at or responding to anyone in particular but people play an awful lot of paper chess and it does nothing constructive. Have a great day folks.

Not wanting to get the pro-mbt-advocates on the barricades but maybe a solution like Option D (at the end of the article) could be rather suitable for most of today's expectable scenarios.