Question about HMS Ark Royal R09

PreMars

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Why did the Royal Navy choose to convert the HMS Ark Royal to carry Phantoms instead of the HMS Eagle?
I read in Hobbs's book that the Ark Royal was in worse condition than the Eagle, so why not convert the better Eagle?

Think it was a matter of "which one was available first for Phantomization" - and Ark got there first. Readily agree it sounds fully stupid with 100% hindsight, but they had some reasons to proceed that way. A matter of decline of the carrier fleet in the 1960's, too : against a background of (atrocious) economic hardships.

Think it was a matter of "which one was available first for Phantomization" - and Ark got there first. Readily agree it sounds fully stupid with 100% hindsight, but they had some reasons to proceed that way. A matter of decline of the carrier fleet in the 1960's, too : against a background of (atrocious) economic hardships.
So is it possible that if Eagle is modernized, it would be cheaper than Ark Royal?
I heard that Eagle's catapults had been replaced with the newer BS5, and only a slight improvement in the arresting gear and the installation of water-cooled deflectors are needed. Is it true?

In the voice of Ted Cassidy's Lurch, "You rang."

If that's in relation to this . . .
So is it possible that if Eagle is modernized, it would be cheaper than Ark Royal?
I heard that Eagle's catapults had been replaced with the newer BS5, and only a slight improvement in the arresting gear and the installation of water-cooled deflectors are needed. Is it true?
Ark Royal's 1967-70 refit cost £32 million and (as far as I can remember) the estimated cost of "Phantomising" Eagle was £5 million. So, yes, it would have been cheaper. And as far as I can remember it is true that the only work required was to fit new arrester gear and water-cooled blast deflectors. However, I don't know when she was to have been "Phantomised" or how long the refit was expected to take.

Unfortunately, refits of British warships had a tendency to take a lot longer and cost a lot more than estimated. For example Eagle's 1959-64 refit (which took so long and cost so much that plans to refit Ark Royal to the same standard were cancelled) and the conversion of Blake & Tiger into helicopter cruisers (which took so long and cost so much that the planned conversion of Lion was cancelled). That being written, Ark Royal's "Phantomisation" seems to have been completed on time and at cost.

Why did the Royal Navy choose to convert the HMS Ark Royal to carry Phantoms instead of the HMS Eagle?
I read in Hobbs's book that the Ark Royal was in worse condition than the Eagle, so why not convert the better Eagle?
The the plan in February 1966 (when CVA.01 was cancelled) was to "Phantomise" Ark Royal & Eagle and that both ships would serve until 1975. This plan was not altered by the 1967 decision to withdraw from "East of Suez" in 1975. However, in 1968 it was decided to bring the withdrawal forward to the end of 1971 and retire Ark Royal & Eagle in 1972.

Eagle's refit was cancelled in 1968, which I suspect was because it was thought that "Phantomising" a ship due to decommission in 1972 wasn't worth it. On the other hand Ark Royal's "Phantomisation" refit was allowed to continue, although at this point she was only about a year into a refit which would take three years and cost six times more than the estimated cost of "Phantomising" Eagle and under the new plan would only have operated Phantoms for two years (1970-72). However, in 1970 the new Heath Government reprieved Ark Royal and she served until the end of 1978 so she operated the Phantom for eight years instead of two.

I suspect that Eagle would have been reprieved in 1970 and served until 1978 too had she been "Phantomised". Or Edward Heath & Lord Carrington would have decided to retire Ark Royal in 1972 (as planned by their predecessors) and keep Eagle in service until the end of 1978 because the she was in better material condition, had ADA and had a Type 984 radar. That is, provided that she avoided the grounding in Plymouth Sound which allegedly damaged her beyond repair.

Last edited:
Behold, : HMS Eagle in the Falklands. I had once pinned down that grounding you mention, think it happened in October 1970 and damaged a propeller shaft. Which accelerated Eagle retirement in 1972.

Right there - https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/hms-eagle-in-the-falklands.447558/page-139 (Mustangforever is my little self pissing off the AH.com disfunctional moderators).

Back
Top Bottom