P-51D Mustang with Unusual Drop Tanks

jzichek

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Just put up a new article at RetroMechanix.com on a P-51D Mustang which was tested with a pair of unusual streamlined 150 gallon ferry tanks at Eglin Field, Florida in 1944-45:

5830606281_34b72eefe9_o.jpg

The object of the tests was to determine the safe ferry range of the P-51D airplane. The article features 20 photos of the installation, as well as scans of the actual report itself. I've not seen this type of drop tank installation on a P-51 before, though they are described as "standard P-51B 150 gallon auxiliary tanks" modified for use on the P-51D. If anyone has further information on these tanks (drawings would be great), feel free to respond here or on my site.

Also, this article and all prior ones now feature thumbnails for easier navigation of the images. Enjoy!

-Jared

Those type tanks were Ferry Tanks and similar tanks were designed and installed on P-51A/A-36 through P-51D/K. I have no seen an image of one on the P-51H but it should easily fitand work on the H

Other than these two photos, I cannot find anything else substantial like a drawing as requested... but I did read through a number of forums on the topic, and one mentioned something about P-47s and even P-51s being ferried long-distance in the Pacific between islands. Food for thought.

Attachments

• ferry tank 2.jpg
    ferry tank 2.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 16
  • ferry tank 1.jpg
    ferry tank 1.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 17
Back
Top Bottom