Grey Havoc

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
1713385072382.png
Out of both companies, Colt was in the worst position due to H&K basing their entry to OHWS Program on their in-development USP pistol. For the sake of time, Colt borrowed elements from three of their current pistols (Double Eagle, All American 2000, and the 1911) to forge a rather Frankenstein's Monster entry to the program. Due to the passion of a Colt collector name Alex Young and an article on the Firearmblog, we have some dates for the Phase I testing. It seems that in late August of 1992, the Colt and H&K entries were tested by NSWC-Crane from August to December of 1992 in Indiana.
According to an interview with former Navy SEAL Dave Hall, he and his fellow Special Operations test member spent a week firing 30,000 rounds of both +P and ball ammo in both the H&K and Colt entries with all failure recorded. At the end of the week, the Special Operator test members submitted their input on the guns and their associated hardware. At the end of Phase I, it was clear that the Colt OHWS was not going to move forward and only the H&K entry would be moving on to Phase II. There were several major reasons why the Colt entry was eliminated from OHWS Program after Phase I: there were barrel failures due to cracking, the LAM by S-Tron did not function and the company went out of business shortly after this, the gun was too tall, too heavy, and the Colt barrel had issues with attaching to the suppressor made by Knight's Armament.

Last edited:
yet another example of Germany being better at manufacturing anything... colt is antiquated..lol