OceanGate Expeditions Titan DSV loss

Indeed. I would be curious about the exact conditions (financial and otherwise) of the Space Act Agreement between OceanGate and NASA MSFC for the development of the carbon fiber structure. Follow the money...
MSFC worked with these clowns?

When SLS launched and Super heavy blew chunks, I thought my state was BACK.

And now--this.

If carbon can fail from pressure outside-in, then what about the plans to have SRB steel caissons replaced with 'fiber? Might that be an inside out failure?

Was it the same people?

Good grief.
You're talking about the difference between carbon fiber in compression on the sub, where it's rather weak, to carbon fiber in tension on the SRB, where it's strong.

I hope the end was fast... with no one getting porcupined with carbon splinters to the face beforehand.
An implosion is measured in single digit milliseconds.

If carbon can fail from pressure outside-in, then what about the plans to have SRB steel caissons replaced with 'fiber? Might that be an inside out failure?
The SRBs are not in compression during their flight: the pressure inside is much higher than outside. They would face a compression load hitting the water, then a few hours of sitting in sea water (with the pressure inside equal to outside) before being recovered.

How many dives did that vessel make? How many was it rated for? Why was there no docking collar fitted for rescue? Is that because the only failure considered was instant catastrophic failure?

Optimism is impirtant but regulation is more so, why no regulation outside of national waters?

I'm hoping some further survey of the debris field will be able to answer the question of what failed and how. Some are speculating that the window failed, others the carbon fibre pressure vessel. Long story short, a risky craft operated outside regulatory jurisdiction and failed, anything more is wait and see.

I think that the best idea now would be to stop all future tourist expeditions down to the Titanic permanently as of now to make sure that there are no more accidents like this ever again.

A group of wealthy people who could afford to buy anything die because someone didn't want to spend the money to do things to the specifications or follow the guidance of others who had been there before.

All the money in the world cannot save you from poor judgement.

I think that the best idea now would be to stop all future tourist expeditions down to the Titanic permanently as of now to make sure that there are no more accidents like this ever again.
Nobody died who didn't willingly put their lives at risk. One might argue that Titanic should be off limits to tourism because it's a fragile historic site, or it's a tomb that shouldn't be poked at, things like that... but "because people might die" is a bad precedent.

I've heard that the Titanic's wreck has decayed a surprising amount since its discovery. I've got to wonder how much ROVs prodding at it or now poorly designed submersibles imploding nearby have contributed to that.

Other 'tourist' submarine operations have shown it's possible to build and operate these things safely. Triton built the DSV Limiting Factor, which is designed for the Challenger Deep and is certified by DNV for those depths.

OceanGate's CEO thought it'd be a good idea to skip certification.

Implostion then explosion. Compress air enough and it goes bang but either way they knew very little about it. Losing coms 1.45 hours into the ?mission? suggests fairly early failure but with no emergency buoy to detach, no notification,

What a terrible waste of life.

I've heard that the Titanic's wreck has decayed a surprising amount since its discovery. I've got to wonder how much ROVs prodding at it or now poorly designed submersibles imploding nearby have contributed to that.
Titanic was dissolving away when first discovered; it's time as a recognizable "wreck" is limited no matter what anyone does. And if the wreckage of the sub is 1600 feet away, it seems like it wasn't that close when it imploded.

Expected as much. SOSUS is incredibly capable. "The combination of location within the ocean and the sensitivity of arrays allowed the system to detect acoustic power of less than a single watt at ranges of several hundred kilometres." (from wiki) Tom Clancy said that the Ohio-class subs radiated about as much energy as a 40 watt lightbulb into the water, and Ohios are ghosts.

Or, you know, they needed to get "yes we detected an implosion" declassified so they could say it to the news. The very existence of SOSUS arrays was classified until 1991, and it had been operational since the mid 1950s.
It's funny to read that the existence of SOSUS was classified until 1991 when I distinctly remember reading of it long before then, in analysis of the loss of the USS Scorpion. Obviously, details of its capabilities was classified (and likely still is; what sounds it can detect are less important than its analysis capabilities).

Generally, capabilities like that are both held close to the vest and garner very little interest to the general public, so even if they are mentioned, they don't generate a lot of echoes in the media. Interestingly, some of these capabilities become known because of totally non-military events, such as the VELA system, which became known because of its detection of the first gamma ray bursts.

Interesting to see that there seems to be a lot of claims made by Oceangate over the years that are now being shown as potentially deceptive?

That changes the legal side of things dramatically.

Regards,
Ummm...
“We partnered with aerospace experts at the University of Washington, NASA and Boeing on the design of our hull,” a promotional video on OceanGate’s YouTube channel advertises. The moderator’s statement is accompanied by a screen covered in the logos for Boeing, NASA and the UW.

This week, all three entities — Boeing, NASA and UW — denied participating in the sub’s design or construction.

Ummm. *This* *week* they denied involvement. Now, granted, even major ConGlomMegaCorps probably can't keep an eye on every claim ever... but their denials of involvement would ring less hollow had they made them *before* this incident.

How many dives did that vessel make? How many was it rated for? Why was there no docking collar fitted for rescue? Is that because the only failure considered was instant catastrophic failure?
I don't believe that there is any submersible with a docking collar on the upper hull for rescue.

Remember that this thing was 6.5m long overall, and 5m of that was pressure hull. The DSRV is 15m, 2.4m abeam. Not that a DSRV could get 5000m down, their test depth was only 1500m.

Were those side thrusters mounted the same way?

Give me some wood planks for struts and some nails---and I'd make the Christmas Bullet safer than this thing:

From THE NEW YORK POST

More:

Last edited:
Were those side thrusters mounted the same way?

Give me some wood planks for struts and some nails---and I'd make the Christmas Bullet safer than this thing
Pretty sure the thrusters were mounted on the outer casing. And yes, probably screwed to the fiberglass.

Interesting to see that there seems to be a lot of claims made by Oceangate over the years that are now being shown as potentially deceptive?

That changes the legal side of things dramatically.

Regards,
This looks damning.

Mr Rush responded that he was "tired of industry players who try to use a safety argument to stop innovation".

"We have heard the baseless cries of 'you are going to kill someone' way too often," he wrote. "I take this as a serious personal insult."

I do hope they savagely savage the company and the co-founder. Waivers my sorry a$$, if that submarine was a coffin, they have to pay. So far we know they cut corners on things like
- composites instead of steel or titanium
- the window not build to the correct depth pressure
- the hatch that couldn't be opened from the inside

There will be blood.
I‘m not a lawyer, but I gotta imagine that the liability waiver wouldn’t stand up. Like, it’s one thing to have a waiver that says, “I know that what I’m doing is extremely dangerous, if not probably fatal, even under the most advantageous circumstances, and I won’t sue if things go wrong on the ‘things will probably go wrong’ mission.” It’s quite another to say the piece of paper you yourself drafted indemnifies you from the consequences of what looks like obvious neglect on your part. Especially in light of the fact that they fired the engineer who raised red flags about the design.

But then I wonder if any legal action would be dependent on an analysis of the wreckage, which would require a difficult salvage, to say the least.
Since I'm not a lawyer, and don't know which country's laws will apply, the only sure thing is that there will be quite a few lawyers being able to finance their new yachts. And, yes, there are many instances in case law where waivers are waved aside.

Why get something bespoke made that you can't easily replace and cost an arm and a leg, when you can use COTS for things and just run to BestBuy etc for a replacement?

That's fine... when you're not working in an environment that can explode you, squash you flat, unravel your DNA or cause you to yoink your own eyeballs out and start spouting Latin warnings.
I was a USN submariner. We tried to use as much COTS as we could inside. At the pressure hull, though? It's called SUBSAFE. Double valves at any opening more than 1/4" in diameter. All pipes welded, not brazed or silver-soldered. All welds Xrayed. Procedures and checklists everywhere.
Hard lesson's learnt. Ignore them at your peril.

Titanic was dissolving away when first discovered; it's time as a recognizable "wreck" is limited no matter what anyone does. And if the wreckage of the sub is 1600 feet away, it seems like it wasn't that close when it imploded.
The sub imploded an hour and 45 minutes into a two and a half hour descent, so it was still far from the Titanic. If it descended at a constant speed, it should have been about 8750 feet down... 3750 feet above the Titanic.

The sub imploded an hour and 45 minutes into a two and a half hour descent, so it was still far from the Titanic. If it descended at a constant speed, it should have been about 8750 feet down... 3750 feet above the Titanic.

They lost comms 1:45 into their descent. Apparently losing comms on descent was a regular occurrence for them and did not immediately cause alarm.

Submersibles generally do not descend at a constant rate. Water conditions, submarine systems, etc. cause the rate of descent to change with a competent pilot. But obviously your mileage may vary, and this submersible was by design fairly different from other submersibles.

SOME articles report that SOSUS detected a bang around that time. Maybe it imploded when they lost comms, maybe later. There is no solid information at this point. Based on where the debris is I would guess - and only guess - that it imploded later in the descent, when it was closer to the bottom.

It never ends...........

They sandblasted the carbon tube before slapped on a later of polyurethane. That is a bit scary?

The Cyclops 1 came before the Titan and was only used in shallow water.

Looks like the Cyclops 2 was the Titan, yet used the same main carbon hull.

Regards,

Last edited:
It never ends...........

They sandblasted the carbon tube before slapped on a later of polyurethane. That is a bit scary?
That actually sounds about right. Cured resin is very slick, paint doesn't like to stick to it. You need to rough up the surface to have paint stick.

As to whether that could have compromised the strength of the CF tube? I don't know.

The Cyclops 1 came before the Titan and was only used in shallow water.

Looks like the Cyclops 2 was the Titan, yet used the same main carbon hull.

Regards,
Yeah, they seem to have taken every possible shortcut.

You don't sandblast CF, you are just weakening the weave. Same lines of drilling into the walls.

These guys just do the opposite of what is logical.

Totally strange.

Regards,

I remain confounded about the use of carbon fiber in compression. Surely a titanium or steel hull would be better; the extra weight would be a *bonus* here.

Here is Graeme Hawkes talking about carbon fiber for a full ocean depth pressure hull (31:41) . There are... interesting failure modes when using carbon for pressure hulls and it's very difficult to find problems, and there may be additional problems created by cycling the pressure load (i.e. repeated dives). To use carbon for this you really need to know what you're doing and be careful.

View: https://youtu.be/qZ7wL4gIzCE?t=1901
Quellish, thank you for posting that, very interesting. Listening to Mr. Hawkes, the selection of CF for DeepFlight Challenger's hull material sounds like a tradeoff - new, unproven technology, but will do the job for that particular mission within a given budget. CompositesWorld has an article providing a bit more detail on Cyclops 2 / Titan hull construction. According to the article, it's hull was manufactured by the same company (Spencer Composites) as DeepFlight Challenger's hull.

You don't sandblast CF, you are just weakening the weave. Same lines of drilling into the walls.

These guys just do the opposite of what is logical.

Totally strange.

Regards,
It's either that or sand it, which has an ever greater chance of damaging the fibers.

I don't believe that there is any submersible with a docking collar on the upper hull for rescue.

Remember that this thing was 6.5m long overall, and 5m of that was pressure hull. The DSRV is 15m, 2.4m abeam. Not that a DSRV could get 5000m down, their test depth was only 1500m.
Perhaps there should be on 'experimental' types? At least a regular entry/exit which could have a docking collar built in.

Perhaps there should be on 'experimental' types? At least a regular entry/exit which could have a docking collar built in.
If we get down to it, basically all those deep diving submersibles are experimental, in the sense that they are only made in 1s and 2s.

The problem here was a lack of someone at Oceans Gate whose job was to say "what happens when X fails?"

Joining that composite cylinder to the titanium hemisphere seems fraught as one would want the two materials to match pressure vs deflection across the joint. My guess, which is somewhat educated, is that the failure started at that join.

Novel designs need more testing than conservative ones; FEM analysis is a wonderful thing but joins between such dissimilar materials in pressure vessels for human occupancy are not mature technology.

Joining that composite cylinder to the titanium hemisphere seems fraught as one would want the two materials to match pressure vs deflection across the joint. My guess, which is somewhat educated, is that the failure started at that join.

Novel designs need more testing than conservative ones; FEM analysis is a wonderful thing but joins between such dissimilar materials in pressure vessels for human occupancy are not mature technology.
Not to mention that they're using carbon fiber in a reverse pressure vessel. One where the pressure is outside and the inside is at 1atm.