Northrop / McDonnell Douglas ATF - YF-23 and EMD F-23

Searching for 'IRST' in this same thread will bring you answers with pics. Fact that Lockheed wanted side-looking AESA doesn't obligatory mean that Northrop team wanted the same.

Searching for 'IRST' in this same thread will bring you answers with pics. Fact that Lockheed wanted side-looking AESA doesn't obligatory mean that Northrop team wanted the same.
I see the picture you are referencing. The section of fuselage it was attached to just seemed quite different from the shape on the F-22 so I wasn't sure. That and the logo being the right-way up even though the whole assembly is flipped upside-down.

I had thought the side AESA arrays were because of a stated ATF requirement for greater radar coverage, in which case the F-23 would have to have some answer (presumably similar or some sort of array in the leading edge of the wing). But maybe it was never a requirement at all.

I don't see any internal volume provisions or apertures for side looking AESA arrays here. I see pair of MLD apertures at top and bottom though.

Attachments

• YF-23-1.jpg
    YF-23-1.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 66
  • Screenshot_20240311_221233_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240311_221233_Chrome.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 62