North Korea Tongchang-ri Launch Pad 3D

ISNJH

Blogger, 3D designer
Reaction score
Website
www.interceptorshield.com
I am new here on the forum and just wanted to share a little of my current work I am currently working on.

My latest visualization is a 3D reconstruction of the Tongchang-ri launch site from press photo's from the visit to the site and slowly starting to reconstruct the site in 3D. still a lot of work to do and also I have to make a bunch of scaling adjustments but just thought I would share what I have so far gotten done.

Tonghcang-ri-Site-RenderWorkInprogress5.jpg

Tonghcang-ri-Site-RenderWorkInprogress6.jpg

Tonghcang-ri-Site-RenderWorkInprogress7.jpg

Tonghcang-ri-Site-RenderWorkInprogress8.jpg

Tonghcang-ri-Site-RenderWorkInprogress9.jpg

Been working on the Tonghcang-ri North Korean ballistic Missile launch site render some more and the last two days I have been working closely from the on site press photo's I have slowly started to get the support swing gantry's added on the launch tower! still a lot of of parts scaling to do and adjustments before it will be finished! but currently this is the most detailed model of site currently created and already its shaping up!

Just wanted to share what I have gotten done so far! "note" I know the holes on all level's of the gantry are same size I will be correcting this soon once I finish getting the gantry swing hinges modeled!!

Tonghcang-ri-Site-RenderWorkInprogressGantrys1.jpg

Tonghcang-ri-Site-RenderWorkInprogressGantrys2.jpg

Update: Got the basic crane added onto the launch tower, still need to make some adjustments on crane section that extends out over the tower and correct it length and add on the girder struts to top part of crane! Here are three renders showing from different angles.

Tongchang-ri-Site-LaunchTowerCraneWIP1.jpg

Tongchang-ri-Site-LaunchTowerCraneWIP2.jpg

Tongchang-ri-Site-LaunchTowerCraneWIP3.jpg

I spent time this evening counting the cement slabs from the sat photos on Google earth so now the pad is divided up into the individual slabs instead one big flat surface!

Here are two renders showing the latest update!!
Tongchang-ri-Site-LaunchPad-CementSlabs.png

Tongchang-ri-Site-LaunchPad-CementSlabs2.png

Small update got the two side buildings by the pad added in so that they match up with the sat images and all the photos from the press visit!

Tongchang-ri-Site-LaunchPad-Side-Buildings.jpg

Tongchang-ri-Site-LaunchPad-Side-Buildings2.jpg

Small update on site, been working on adding in the fuel buildings and getting them placed! the road going up to the fuel building still needs adjustments since it is to curved! Also I started work on getting some the piping put in going to launch tower and the blue water pipes from the water storage on top of tower!

Tongchang-ri-Site-LaunchPad-Fuel-Buildings.jpg

Tongchang-ri-Site-LaunchPad-Fuel-Buildings2.jpg

Tongchang-ri-Site-LaunchPad-Fuel-Buildings3.jpg

After having to take a break from working on the Tongchang-ri launch site I am back to work on modeling the details on the launch tower and getting other parts finished like the Radio camera tower by the launch tower!

Have attached two screenshots showing some of the new work! am hoping to get the shacks added into the separate levels of the launch tower along with the stairs for each floor added this coming week.

Attachments

• Tongchang-ri-TowerE.jpg
    Tongchang-ri-TowerE.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Tongchang-ri-towerrender2.jpg
    Tongchang-ri-towerrender2.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 12
Very nice ... the missile by the was was succesful this time.

Attachments

• NK long range missile Dec 12 - 1.jpg
    NK long range missile Dec 12 - 1.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 16
Its been a little while since my last post and I have been busy with other projects! but with recent developments I have gotten back to work on the Tongchang-ri launch site reconstruction! here are a few images showing some of the progress!!

1. stairs started to be added in to each level! still need to add the railings
2. correction on some scaling issues.

Attachments

• Tongchang-ri-towerrender42.jpg
    Tongchang-ri-towerrender42.jpg
    466.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Tongchang-ri-towerrender41.jpg
    Tongchang-ri-towerrender41.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Tongchang-ri-towerrender38.jpg
    Tongchang-ri-towerrender38.jpg
    564.4 KB · Views: 7
I am also working on replacing the temp crane on top of the launch tower with an accurate reconstruction of the real crane working from pic reference of the crane that was provided to me by James Oberg who kindly contributed a zoomed image of the crane that showed enough details on the crane!

Here is a screenshot showing current progress on the modeling of the launch tower crane in google sketchup! the model once finished will be exported out to blender for final editing and rendering on the launch tower!!

Attachments

• Tongchang-ri-craneWIP3.jpg
    Tongchang-ri-craneWIP3.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 8
  • Tongchang-ri-craneWIP4.jpg
    Tongchang-ri-craneWIP4.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 7
New renders showing the crane now on the launch tower replacing the old crane that was on the tower before! still some final adjustments to be done on the crane to scale it to correct size to match one in photo but other then that its a perfect copy :)

Attachments

• Tongchang-ri-towerrender49.jpg
    Tongchang-ri-towerrender49.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Tongchang-ri-towerrender50.jpg
    Tongchang-ri-towerrender50.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Tongchang-ri-towerrender47.jpg
    Tongchang-ri-towerrender47.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Tongchang-ri-towerrender48.jpg
    Tongchang-ri-towerrender48.jpg
    427.8 KB · Views: 4
Might find this interesting, if you hadn't already spotted it

http://38north.org/2012/12/nhansen121912/

Few changes to crane including material applied to crane! also added in the the lights to back of crane and upper crane maintenance platform along with lights to the launch tower roof!!

Attachments

• Tongchang-ri-towerrender54.jpg
    Tongchang-ri-towerrender54.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 126
  • Tongchang-ri-towerrender58.jpg
    Tongchang-ri-towerrender58.jpg
    367.6 KB · Views: 139
  • Tongchang-ri-towerrender59.jpg
    Tongchang-ri-towerrender59.jpg
    366.8 KB · Views: 175
  • Tongchang-ri-towerrender57.jpg
    Tongchang-ri-towerrender57.jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 216
I had to redo the tower and supports from scratch since when compared to images I found my old launch tower was out of scale in length and other area's this was esp true when I tried adding in the railings to the top of the tower and the separate floors I found they did not match the tower!

The new tower is more accurate and matches photo's when lined up with photo as shown in ref image with my model overlayed on the photo

Got the new redone tower imported into blender to see how the new changes look.

I have also added in the railings to the first seven levels from the top floor down including the front railings and gates that swing open to allow one to walk out onto the gantries on each level.

Left to do is

1. adding in the sub-flooring support beams back into the under floor
2. adding back in the stairs
3. getting the gantry pivots added to side of tower to attach the gantry's to.

After those are added in it will be final adjustments then scaling and redoing the launch stand the rocket sits on to be to scale and match the latest changes to the stand as was seen in the launch video released from the most recent launch conducted by the North!

Attachments

• Tongchang-ri-towerrender61.jpg
    Tongchang-ri-towerrender61.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 89
  • Tongchang-ri-towerrender60.jpg
    Tongchang-ri-towerrender60.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Tongchang-ritowerRedux.jpg
    Tongchang-ritowerRedux.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 12
More progress! and some inside views of tower.

Attachments

• Tongchang-ri-towerrender70promo.jpg
    Tongchang-ri-towerrender70promo.jpg
    617.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Tongchang-ri-towerrender69promo.jpg
    Tongchang-ri-towerrender69promo.jpg
    562.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Tongchang-ri-towerrender65promo.jpg
    Tongchang-ri-towerrender65promo.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Tongchang-ri-towerrender63promo.jpg
    Tongchang-ri-towerrender63promo.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 9
Gantry motors and pivots installed on launch tower!

Attachments

• Tongchang-ri-towerrenderGantryM.jpg
    Tongchang-ri-towerrenderGantryM.jpg
    428.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Tongchang-ri-towerrenderGantryM2.jpg
    Tongchang-ri-towerrenderGantryM2.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Tongchang-ri-towerrenderGantryM5.jpg
    Tongchang-ri-towerrenderGantryM5.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 8
To anyone wondering why I never posted any more updates on my 3D model the reason was my reconstruction was under wraps because 38North was getting first dibs on it and from now on will be getting exclusives to my work on the North Korean site updates. 38North recently published the first stage of completion of the North Korean West Coast launch site sohae reconstruction as a set of interactive panorama's that I put together, these panorama's can be viewed here http://38north.org/2013/07/sohaepano1/

Hope you guys like how the first stage panorama's turned out..