Nimrod's Genesis by Chris Gibson

Mine is on the way. Good to see coverage of Maritime Patrol (and related) rather than the all to often fighters, bombers etc... :)

Mine's on its way via Book Depository (through Amazon) at a very good price.

My copy arrived today and I had a very quick scan through it and am very impressed indeed, there are so many projects from the 1970s onwards that I was totally unaware of and some seem very practical indeed. A combination of deep research and plentiful illustrations make it a book to devote some time to sit back and enjoy it so I am very pleased that it is a Bank Holiday weekend.
Alan

My copy is dispatched... just hope it arrives before I head off tomorrow to photograph Joint Warrior...!

Zeb

Chris

Just arrived and looks excellent.

What's the next one about?

Working that out won't be a three-pipe problem.

Chris

Attachments

• rathboneholmes.jpg
    rathboneholmes.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 452
GTX said:
PaulMM (Overscan) said:
uk 75 said:
Chris

Just arrived and looks excellent.

What's the next one about?
Not sure if I can say.

Tease!

I suppose we should clarify if thats a Hikoki book which will probably follow the same genre as the others, or a Blue Envoy publication which would be more type specific, as Chris could be doing either or both :eek: .

Either way chances are a rather high that we will buy them anyway, as bound to be a subject matter of interest to us lot ;D

If I could choose, the theme would be Close Air Support and Ground Attack aircraft and missiles. There are so many projects in this area and of course the emergence of 38 Group RAF and its requirements.
HARRIER has a lot of material on HS and BAC project.

CJGibson said:

See Reply 64.

Chris

Excellent hint (?) - considering what the Argosy and Beverley looked like there must be some really odd looking proposals in the files !

( Although I would like to put in a forlorn wish for a book on weapons, sensors and electronic warfare - well probably three books ! )

I received this book yesterday and got to spend most of yesterday night with it. Thus far I have to say it is flawless, Chris really is at the top of his game, and I can be a harsh critic at times.

The flow is excellent with the first two chapters setting the scene, by analysing the threat and the technological responses, for the rest of the book, which is a chronological narrative of UK post-war maritime patrol aircraft programmes. The author is clearly comfortable with the material he is working with, not just the subject matter but also the research material. The reader is presented with exactly the right amount of depth to cover the key points of each requirement, design and programme history, without the book getting lost in minutiae details. One does not get the sense at any point that Chris hit a research dead-end, every narrative thread has a conclusion. By carrying the history right through to the present day this book gives a wonderful image of the oscillating requirements and fortunes of both the RAF MPA community and the threat it faces in addition to the associated industry and technology history. The combination of illustrations and text is balanced perfectly with each illustration supporting the associated text.

Chris has produced an all round fantastic book and I would recommend it to anyone with an interest in post-war RAF technical history. With the form demonstrated by Nimrod's Genesis Chris Gibson has set a very high bar indeed for whatever his next project may be.

Just to let folks know (those still struggling to remain beyond Amazon's Empire), don't bother trying to get Nimrod's Genesis from Waterstones.
They claim the book is unobtainable for the foreseeable future (and Japanese Secret Projects Vol.2 too) and the pages have been removed from their website. So I guess they are not stocking copies in their shops either. And people wonder why the traditional bookseller is dying...

I can only echo what JFC Fuller has written. Thanks, Chris.

Hood is right about Waterstones. The Oxford branch is still selling the 2013 edition of WARSHIP. I fear that Amatheft are my only avenue or is that channel/passage as I do feel annoyed that neither Blackwells nor Waterstones in Oxford are well stocked. The new FOYLES military section is better. I got the book on the Army ordinance history there.

I agree, this is Chris' finest work yet and the best of the Hikoki series he's done so far.
I've only had a chance to browse through it so far, but the level of detail is impressive with ample explanatory diagrams covering all aspects of airborne ASW warfare, tons of project designs and archival material. Also impressive is that he's managed to convince the publishers to include several multi-page appendices too, Appendix II is almost a chapter in length!

What can I say... finally received my copy and its been well worth the wait... exceptionally informative, well illustrated and answered so many of my questions!

The downside is I shall have to revise some of my own illustrations!

And why did I have to wait so long...? Trying to catch an Atlantique and a P8 at RAF Lossiemouth...

Zeb

Probably end up with secondhand Atlantics*.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/industry/defence/11687892/Battle-to-win-2bn-deal-to-replace-Britains-Nimrod-spy-planes.html

Chris

PS I wonder why the Torygraph insists in describing MR aircraft as 'spy planes'.

*Which is a very good aircraft and has outlived the Nimrod and is obviously far, far better and French.

CJGibson said:
Probably end up with secondhand Atlantics*.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/industry/defence/11687892/Battle-to-win-2bn-deal-to-replace-Britains-Nimrod-spy-planes.html

Chris

PS I wonder why the Torygraph insists in describing MR aircraft as 'spy planes'.

*Which is a very good aircraft and has outlived the Nimrod and is obviously far, far better and French.

Given the press in the last 6 months covering this story in its various forms I don't think the there will be a chance for an open requirement. If it was for Force 2020 then we would probably see a requirement a competition and a selection, with an subsequent in service date of 2023-25. However the threat is real and now (according to the press hype) rather than in 10 yrs time so I think they will go with the emergency requirement and take up the US offer for P-8 with an eye for possibly getting the Aircraft by 2020 or probably earlier.

I'll be at the National Archives at Kew from Tuesday until Friday (28-31 July)if anyone fancies a blah/brew or a pint after chucking out.
I'll be busy on Wednesday afternoon and probably Thursday morning as I have men to see about dogs.

PM me if you're around.

Chris

Just picked up a copy of this from SMW Telford this morning...
Thanks to the author for signing my copy, I'm looking forward to reading it, but, unfortunately, as it was bought for me by 'er indoors, it's had to be stashed until Christmas...

cheers,
Robin.

I have a similar problem with X-planes of Europe II and American Secret Projects. And I'll be offshore until 10th January.

Chris

The third copy delivered to my house arrived the other day... mine was first, shortly followed by one for my (ex-Nimrod) father, and now one for SWMBO's (also ex-Nimrod) father. Along with a second copy of Listening In for the latter.

SWMBO has been advised that anything bearing a Chris Gibson byline is an acceptable Christmas present, if she can find something I don't already own.

Chris,

In the book you mention that Vickers proposed ten military variants of the VC10. The accompanying illustration lists a Troop Carrier, Deterrent Carrier, Bomber, Maritime Patrol and Tanker. What were the five further variants (I assume two other variants are AEW and Elint aircraft)?

Regards.

Looks great Chris!!
Congratulations!!

Regards
Pioneer

The VC10 variants

Troop Carrier
Deterrent Carrier
Bomber
Maritime Patrol (numerous proposals)
Tanker (numerous proposals)
Air Defence Variant (Red Barrel)
Airborne Early Warning (Numerous Proposals)
Freighter (Undernose loading)
Freighter (Swing Nose loading)
Elint

They're all in Vickers VC10 - AEW, Pofflers and other Unbuilt variants. Available from me or all good aviation booksellers but not Amazon.

Chris

Thanks Chris, I already have the Poffler book bought it when it was first published. Unfortunately it's in one of a large number of boxes packed ready to move house, which at the moment seems to be an unending quest. Will have to add it to my list of books to re-read; I'm intrigued by the air defence variant (Red Barrel) I don't remember that at all.

Thanks and Regards/

Back
Top Bottom