NAA VTOL VG

Orionblamblam

ACCESS: USAP
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Website
www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com
Concept art (circa 1960's) depicting a VTOL - or at least STOVL - military aircraft. Vertical lift is provided by 6 lift fans embedded within the wings, powered by 4 turbojets in the fuselage. Added Difficulty: the wings are variable sweep. Assuming that the fans are gas driven, this means that a high pressure, high-temperature exhaust duct would need to be not only directed into the wing from at least one of the turbojets, but the duct would also have to have rotary seals allowing the duct to flex when the wings sweep back. Presumably the fans would only work when the wings were fully extended. Role is uncertain, probably a strike-fighter like the F-111 was intended. Higher rez HERE.

Attachments

• NAA-VG-VTOL.jpg
    NAA-VG-VTOL.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 323
Looks like a very complicated system that would be a maintenance nightmare and a very unforgiving flyer if not completely functioning properly. But it is fun to dream. It always amazes me that aircraft like this were deemed possible before the age of computers that would have taken a great deal of the systems interfacing out of the pilots hands.

Missed this when posted. Doesn't seem to have enough air intake for the 4 small (J85?) turbojets to me. Rather unique design.

ksimmelink said:
Looks like a very complicated system that would be a maintenance nightmare and a very unforgiving flyer if not completely functioning properly. But it is fun to dream. It always amazes me that aircraft like this were deemed possible before the age of computers that would have taken a great deal of the systems interfacing out of the pilots hands.

Better than some I should think. Compared to most tilt-rotors for example - if one lift fan fails you might be able to have controlled descent using the other four. A lot depends on the gearbox...

Of course, maintenance-wise...