Modular Unmanned Research Vehicle (MURV) - Graduate design project, AFIT

The MURV is not exactly what we call "Theoretical" on this forum.

It was the Teledyne Ryan Model 320.

Source: http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a202765.pdf

I'm moving this topic to "Postwar aircraft projects".

Attachments

• MURV three-view small.gif
    MURV three-view small.gif
    52.9 KB · Views: 265
  • MURV Internal Arrangement small.gif
    MURV Internal Arrangement small.gif
    65 KB · Views: 261
  • MURV configurations small.gif
    MURV configurations small.gif
    30.3 KB · Views: 37
Um, no.

If you take the trouble to read the attached document, you will find that the it is the Master's Thesis for six Air Force Captains and one civilian that was submitted to the Air Force Institute of technology (AFIT). It proposed the design of a test UAV for the use of AFIT students as they rarely have access to Air Force research and test assets.

I did not note a proposed manufacturer for the MURV airframe. The airframe was designed by the students. The report did specify an engine, the 350 lbst Teledyne CAE Model 320. Thus, the airframe/engine combination was dubbed the MURV-320. Had the Williams WR19 engine been selected, it is probable that the UAV would have been called the MURV-WR19.

With due respect to the seven authors, this December 1988 design has no more real-word relevance (that is to say, relationship to a design generated by an aerospace company with any possibility of transition to hardware or a flight vehicle) than any number of AIAA student projects. There appears to be absolutely no relationship whatsoever to designs created and numbered in the Ryan and Teledyne Ryan model numbering sequence.

(It should be noted that the TRA Model 320 in actuality was the SLAT (Supersonic Low Altitude Target). TRA lost to Martin Marietta and the Martin design was designated the YAQM-127. Please see pages 130-1 of "Fireflies and Other UAVs", by Wagner and Sloan.)

Yep - its even pretty obvious from the quality of the drawing and the actual design that this amateur work.

aim9xray said:
It should be noted that the TRA Model 320 in actuality was the SLAT (Supersonic Low Altitude Target). TRA lost to Martin Marietta and the Martin design was designated the YAQM-127. Please see pages 130-1 of "Fireflies and Other UAVs", by Wagner and Sloan.

Indeed, I always figured the Model 320 was the SLAT (which lost the M-127 competition) but this here document seemed to say otherwise, which made me think that either the designation had been used twice or that the SLAT model number was a mistake. I must have misread the information therein... Sorry about the confusion.

Back
Top Bottom