Mililtary Technology article SF writer

bobbymike

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Warning there is "opinion" in this article which I do not endorse or refute. I do not hide the fact that I am a super hawk when it comes to defense (my personal motto is $1 Trillion for national defense).

I understand that "politics" is rightly downplayed at SP but after reading this "Part 1" article it covers military technology issues and thought many here would enjoy it.
BEATING DECLINE: Miltech and the Survival of the U.S.​
by J.R. Dunn

Part I

Dangerous times await the United States in the international arena. We are facing a period of relative decline in respect to other nations and the global community as a whole. Many are aggressive states with little reason to be friendly to us or to defer to our interests. Our status as leading nation will be challenged, imperiled, and disregarded. This circumstance is locked in and we cannot avoid it. Debt, inflation, overextension, and defense cuts, not to mention a strange national diffidence toward acting as world leader, guarantee this state of affairs.

On the occasion of his retirement in June, defense secretary Robert Gates warned against further defense cuts. “Frankly,” he was quoted as saying, ”I can’t imagine being part of a nation, part of a government … that’s being forced to dramatically scale back our engagement with the rest of the world.” Extraordinary words from a man who initiated more cuts than any previous secretary: over 30 programs, including the F-22 Raptor, the Army's Future Combat System, and the AF-1 airborne laser. In other words, some of the programs most crucial to maintaining American military capability in the 21st century.

http://www.baen.com/beatingdecline1.asp

But the article mentions Col. John Boyd, and a lot of members here have nothing but hate for the man, thus invalidating the article..... :)

sublight said:
But the article mentions Col. John Boyd, and a lot of members here have nothing but hate for the man, thus invalidating the article..... :)

I think this line would do the invalidation job on its own: "It would be a simple matter to fit Predators or Reapers with AIM-9 Sidewinder or AIM-120 AMRAAM missile kits to enable them to operate as fighters."

Oh man, the part about the drones operating as fighters made me laugh so hard. What sort of drugs is this man on?

They could operate as fighters in a low intensity conflict, where the likely opponent is a COIN plane or something along the lines of a F-5E Tiger II; or to smash helicopters.

We're still a very long way away from a drone being able to have parity with a 1985 F-16C.