McDonnell MRLS

Dew

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Don't know if they really belong in lifting bodies thread and can't find other clear references for them as a group, so here they are. Any pointers would be appreciated.
Struggling to read dates, the clearest being Ballistic arrgt. of 1963 (which appears to be very similar to that mentioned in Big Gemini thread). Booster is Saturn IB.

Ballistic:
MRLS Ballistic plan.jpg

MRLS Ballistic profile.jpg

MRLS Ballistic block.jpg

High L/D:
MRLS High L_D plan.jpg

MRLS High L_D profile.jpg

MRLS High L_D block.jpg

Lifting Body:
MRLS Lifting Body plan.jpg

MRLS Lifting Body profile.jpg

MRLS Lifting Body block.jpg

Variable Geometry:
MRLS VG plan.jpg

MRLS VG profile.jpg

MRLS VG block.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, so @Dew has decided to make my Christmas even better. Now I'm following him and need to frantically download all the stuff he posted over the last days.

How many treasures like this do you have or intends to post ?

That VG one looks a lot like the MURP . . .
You are quite right. I now believe these were part of a c. '64 study for space station support vehicles.

Spacecraft configurations.jpg

Ballistic
This design utilizes a scaled up Gemini heat shield shape and a 60° conical forebody. It is capable of a maximum hypersonic L/D up to about 0.6, depending on center of gravity position; for this study the spacecraft was ballasted to obtain the L/D of 0.25 considered adequate to correct entry dispersions.

Ballistic.png

HL-10

This is a NASA Langley Research Center design representative of lifting body shapes. It has a hypersonic L/D near 1 and a subsonic L/D adequate for horizontal land landing.

HL-10.png

Variable Geometry
This configuration is a modified version of a NASA Langley Research Center design configured in this study for a maximum hypersonic L/D of about 1.8 with the wings folded and stowed. With the wings extended to a 30° sweep position, it has a subsonic L/D of about 8

VG.png

Winged Body
This configuration was defined for the study to provide a maximum hypersonic L/D ratio of about 2.7 and a subsonic L/D of about 4.5.

High L_D.png

Last edited:
These designs are from the 1965 McDonnell "Mission Requirements of Lifting Systems - Engineering Aspects" reports from August, 1965. A wide variety of designs were examined to resupply a MORL-type space lab, but they boiled down to these four. I was sure these reports were mentioned on this forum before, but I could find no reference to them.

These designs are from the 1965 McDonnell "Mission Requirements of Lifting Systems - Engineering Aspects" reports from August, 1965. A wide variety of designs were examined to resupply a MORL-type space lab, but they boiled down to these four. I was sure these reports were mentioned on this forum before, but I could find no reference to them.
Thank you, neither could I, hence my initial "Any pointers would be appreciated."
I'd found "THE INFLUENCE OF MANNED MISSION REQUIREMENTS ON SPACECRAFT DESIGN AND SELECTION" which is a '66 AIAA paper referencing the same NASA contract for the report you had mentioned. The '64 date I'd mentioned being the Douglas "Report on the Optimization of the Manned Orbital Research Laboratory (MORL) Systems Concept"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom