Martin Model-164 Bomber Project

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
From, Les Avions Martin,

the Model-164 was a shoulder-wing high altitude bomber project of 1941,powered
by four Pratt & Whitney Twin Wasp Jr. engines,mounted in two nacelles at the wing,
nearby the fuselage,in two pairs,with push and pull to each,later Allison V-1710.

Attachments

• 22.png
    22.png
    438.8 KB · Views: 103
This scheme seems a bit dubious, at least in its initial version. Most of the attempts to configure radial engines as pushers ran into cooling problems and I don't recall turbochargers being fitted to the Twin Wasp Jr.

From, Les Avions Martin,

the Model-164 was a shoulder-wing high altitude bomber project of 1941,powered
by four Pratt & Whitney Twin Wasp Jr. engines,mounted in two nacelles at the wing,
nearby the fuselage,in two pairs,with push and pull to each,later Allison V-1710.
Excellent basic work !

Attachments

• 1711473423149.png
    1711473423149.png
    493.1 KB · Views: 72
This scheme seems a bit dubious, at least in its initial version. Most of the attempts to configure radial engines as pushers ran into cooling problems and I don't recall turbochargers being fitted to the Twin Wasp Jr.
The push-pull bomber was proposed "in fine" powered by in line water cooled engines Allison.

I give you here my top view of the Martin mle 145, predecessor of mle 164 ... and premices of the first XB-16
How does this "classic" config relate to the 6-engine twin boom one often seen ?
Predecessor? Successor? Re-use of the model number?

Attachments

• US Martin XB-16 Martin Model 145 twin-boom 6-engines.jpg
    US Martin XB-16 Martin Model 145 twin-boom 6-engines.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 45
How does this "classic" config relate to the 6-engine twin boom one often seen ?
The answer is simple enough: the "145" slot was allocated to the XB-16 program. Three successive (and very different) proposals emerged, designated Model 145, Model 145-A and Model 145-B.

Attachments

• martin145_comparison_front.gif
    martin145_comparison_front.gif
    63.7 KB · Views: 52
  • martin145_comparison_side.gif
    martin145_comparison_side.gif
    54.6 KB · Views: 56
  • martin145_comparison_top.gif
    martin145_comparison_top.gif
    109.6 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Thanks for this very clear explanation. I learnt something new today.
And thanks for the 3-views providing development perspective.

These often shown illustration is in fact the Material Division/Command design MDD 361.
Once shown by Clioman in the XB-16 thread...

Back
Top Bottom