Mannesmann-Mulag Project Bat, WW I ("Fledermausversuche")

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Looking for information about the Siemens Schuckert torpedo glider, I've found an article
from the "Scientific Journal of Riga Technical University" (https://ortus.rtu.lv/science/lv/publications/8968)
volume 16, 2010 about a project, that should have been quite revolutionary for its time:
The development of a radio guided unmanned bomber by Mannesmann-Mulag (M & M) as main
contractor and Siemens-Halske (S & H) as subcontractor for the flight control and radio
guidance system. The aim wasn't a flying bomb, not disposable, but an aircraft, that
would drop its bombload and return to the starting point, even having an over-the-horizon
range. Guidance was to be accomplished by determining the aircrafts position via triangul-
ating the emissions from an onboard transmitter, that additionally should send height data.
For flight control a system using gyros should be used. As other German aircraft of that
era the fuselage is said to have been constructed from laminated wood, the vehicle powered
by a 100 hp engine at first, later an 160 hp type and described as a "C-Typ". In German
parlance this meant an armed recce/scout two-seater, but as the author of that article
pointed out, then there wouldn't have been much need for elaborate aerodynamical testing,
s was carried out, proven by documents. Although probably at least two aircaft were built
and readied for testing during the closing stages of WW I, no photos or drawings seem to
have survived and we have only few clues to the appearance: A bi-plane with a fuselage
made of laminated wood and a landing gear, that was designed to safe the aircraft during
the landing by a large parachute, so probably protruding forward.
A kind of scaled-down Roland C.III came to my mind, as to my opinion one of the cleanest
German aircraft of that time, meeting the often-used term "aerial torpedo", but of course,
that's pure speculation. Maybe someone can shed some more light on this project ?