Good Day All -

Wind tunnel test model of the YGBM-110 in the Vought Low Speed Wind Tunnel. Credit to the Vought Heritage Foundation.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• zYBGM-110 Test 486 Run 062.jpg
    zYBGM-110 Test 486 Run 062.jpg
    669 KB · Views: 87
As an engineer,I do not think the rotate wing is a good idea.
Range depends on fuel, fuel depends on internal space. The wing needs too much internal space.

As an engineer,I do not think the rotate wing is a good idea.
Range depends on fuel, fuel depends on internal space. The wing needs too much internal space.
The competitor had a folding wing, which will use a comparable amount of space - the major differences being the actuating machinery and packing efficiency. I expect the LTV (and General Dynamics!) engineers did their own trade studies on the possible solutions before arriving at conclusions.

YBGM-110 was supposed to be launched without a canister. Was the increased structural weight (which I assume would be necessary to survive being launched from a torpedo tube) a good enough trade-off to regain the volume lost by the BGM-109s use of a canister?

IIRC,

YBGM-110 was built with a steel body, and thus can do w/o a canister for underwater launch.

while

YBGM-109 was built with an aluminum body, and thus has a steel outer canister for underwater launch.

I would think the steel vs aluminum body for the cruise missile would have impacted weights of the respective systems, which in turn affected the performance ...