Low diving speeds of WW2 Soviet fighters

Pasoleati

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
For example, the Yak-9 was known for its relatively low VNE limit (I recall 650 km/h IAS) at a time when its Western contemporaries had VNEs 100-200 km/h higher. Even the late Zeros had much higher VNE. Since the same issue affected Soviet fighters even during the Winter War (e.g. the otherwise better I-16 was easily outdived by the Fokker D. 21), one has to ask that what diving speed and structural strength requirements were stated in Soviet fighter specifications?

...and whether VNE was assessed differently?
Why/how? It was noted in Winter War already that Soviet fighters did not follow steep high-speed dives. In an interrogation of a Soviet Yak-9 pilot (shot down late summer 1944), he stated that the dive limit is low and when some pilots dived them faster the planes vibrated so badly as to appear to be coming apart. That even with slightly increased speed.

I suspect pragmatism regarding build quality and materials used may have played a large part in it.
Not really a wise approach in aircraft because the margins for error are quite narrow.