Looking for: Data on Soviet reentry vehicles (used during ICBM launch tests to Kamchatka, and Pacific Ocean)

greenmartian2017

The Shadow knows what lurks in the hearts of men
Reaction score
Everyone,

I am aware that there are lots of illustrations and even some photos of Soviet-era nuclear warheads intended to be put on their ICBMs.

But what I haven't found is data about:

a)--During ICBM launch tests from Tyuratam (to Kamchatka and/or the Pacific Ocean), what was the dimensions of the instrumented reentry vehicles, as well as what their masses were for SS-9, SS-11, SS-13, etc. I am looking at launches between mid-1960s and mid-1980s. So while some CIA NIEs talk about masses of operational warheads to fit on top of these missiles, I have not found anything at all data-wise on the reentry vehicle tests that were instrumented.

b)--I have looked at a number of books I have here about Soviet strategic missiles, but I haven't been able to locate such data. I am hoping that there are such Russian-language books, and I just haven't accessed the right ones yet. (I am hopeful.) Back in the mid-1990s there was a book series "Russia's Arms Catalog" published by Military Parade, and there was a volume on Strategic Missiles, but I haven't been able to find anyone who carries that particular volume. This data might be in there, but I don't really know.

If anyone knows of a source (periodical, book, etc.) that might speak to these topics, please let me know, and post the links here on the forum.

Thanks.