Lockheed Martin F-16 Fighting Falcon Developments

didn't know about the new internals, makes sense since they opted for this config over the delta wing design, both must've required substantial internal redesign to worth all that development cost.

V is a bit tricky though, aren't those Taiwanese B20s technically still Block 20 MLUs with upgraded avionics fitted in? I wouldn't consider calling that a V, the situation resembles F-16AM MLUs more hence I'd call them F-16AV/BV or something.
They are MLU aircraft but they were built in the early 90s and are basically a C/D frame with MLU A Avonics inside. The MLU itself is very close to the post CCIP Block 40/50. I presume if you really wanted to upgrade a classic A/B or Block 25 you could. The upgraded aircraft are not seemingly all that different from new build jets. I do think they keep the old block numbers but the practical differences don’t seem to be that great.

Well I know about the ACES II what I meant was what was this about British ejection seats not being involved so the deal should be fine, as far as I know there hasn't been any attempt to refit F-16s with Martin-Baker ejection-seats.

didn't know about the new internals, makes sense since they opted for this config over the delta wing design, both must've required substantial internal redesign to worth all that development cost.

V is a bit tricky though, aren't those Taiwanese B20s technically still Block 20 MLUs with upgraded avionics fitted in? I wouldn't consider calling that a V, the situation resembles F-16AM MLUs more hence I'd call them F-16AV/BV or something.
Are those Taiwanese aircraft getting newer engines than the F100-PW-220s those F-16s probably have if they were configured like the Block 20? Depending on how much weight such a major upgrade as this adds the resulting F-16 would probably be rather sluggish (by F-16 standards) without one of the newer F100 or F110 variants.

Are those Taiwanese aircraft getting newer engines than the F100-PW-220s those F-16s probably have if they were configured like the Block 20?

Well from the wikipedia F-16V article:

The first of these were for Republic of China Air Force (Taiwan) F-16A/B Block 20s. The upgrade of its 144 aircraft fleet started in January 2017 and is expected to complete by 2023.[30] In 2019, Taiwan and the United States signed an $8 billion deal that would deliver 66 new-build Block 70 aircraft.[31][32]

I'd say that the new build F-16 Block 70s are getting the latest engines and given that in the last few years the US has started giving a lot more help to Taiwan I'd say it's likely the upgrades will be getting newer engines too.

There were talks with LM on converting the old birds with new engines, with PW-229 being promoted in the Taiwan Defence Show for a few years. Apparently the ROCAF decided modification for the new engines were too expensive and they stick to the old ones

Apparently the ROCAF decided modification for the new engines were too expensive and they stick to the old ones

Given how the situation with the PRC has been deteriorating in the last few years (The PLA:N getting more aggressive for example) I suspect the RoCAF will have likely changed its mind about the engine upgrade (Taiwan is facing an existential threat from the PRC).

Given how the situation with the PRC has been deteriorating in the last few years (The PLA:N getting more aggressive for example) I suspect the RoCAF will have likely changed its mind about the engine upgrade (Taiwan is facing an existential threat from the PRC).
Not that an F-16A with a monster engine isn’t fun to think about, it’s not as if it’s underpowered with the f100-PW-220 and there are other funding issues.

Not that an F-16A with a monster engine isn’t fun to think about, it’s not as if it’s underpowered with the f100-PW-220 and there are other funding issues.
Having all your F-16s use the same engine saves money due to only needing one set of spares.

Well I know about the ACES II what I meant was what was this about British ejection seats not being involved so the deal should be fine, as far as I know there hasn't been any attempt to refit F-16s with Martin-Baker ejection-seats.

The British government has blocked sales of other aircraft to Argentina due to British content, including ejection seats. The memory of the Falklands looms large.

Last edited:
Having all your F-16s use the same engine saves money due to only needing one set of spares.

Due to budgetary balance, AESA, avionics and ECM (cough) upgrade should be prioritized first, as well as funding the new-build F-16V (they are with PW-229 engines)

The British government has blocked sales of other aircraft to Argentina due to British content, including ejection seats. The memory of the Falklands looms large.

My point exactly. As rightly underlined, F-16s have ACES II american ejector seats, so UK will not be able to use their "Martin Baker deterrent" against Argentina (I'm half joking of course).

I hope that some or all of those F-16s are sold to Ukraine also the Mirage 2000-5s would be a welcome addition too.
Greece donating them would be even better.

Going forward, I think a mixed fleet of M2000s, F-16s and Mig-29s would suit Ukranian needs the best.

Due to budgetary balance, AESA, avionics and ECM (cough) upgrade should be prioritized first, as well as funding the new-build F-16V (they are with PW-229 engines)
Granted, but that doesn't mean that you should forget about upgrading the engines entirely.

Their current priority on F-16 is to get the datalink and ECM (for upgraded F-16V) done. The progress of new ECM pod for upgraded jets is currently stalled due to changes in USAF decisions. Then they keep requesting for F-35 (well...). The engine upgrade is probably the last thing they would do...

Greece could transfer up to 32 F-16 fighter jets to Ukraine, according to Greek media, as Kyiv waits frustratedly for the first of the Western-made jets to arrive in the coming weeks.

Turkiye's F-16 Viper Modernisation to be Divided by Two​

SdYZXidC4Gm2iV327gP0I0Lo1P8L6zjD5Vk4j5AZ.webp

Turkiye’s F-16 Modernisation programme with the U.S. is currently on the discussion table. Two institutions will share the workload to upgrade 79 F-16 jet to Block 70 level. Turkiye holds two separate modernisation programmes for F-16 fleet. Turkish indigenous modernisation programme Özgür will be carried out at Turkish Aerospace (TUSAŞ) facilities. The second modernisation programme will be carried out with U.S. components.
In a significant development, Turkish-U.S. relations reached a new milestone in February 2024. Congress approved Turkiye’s request to acquire two fleets of brand-new F-16 Viper jets and upgrade 79 F-16 aircraft with modernisation kits which will be obtained from the United States. The inclusion of the Northrop Grumman AN/APG-83 SABR AESA radar, also used in F-35A aircraft, in this modernisation programme is a testament to the technology being employed. According to the current Government to Government negotiations, Turkiye’s modernisation workload will be completed as in previous modernisation programmes. As a result of former upgrades, the Turkish Air Force has no F-16 Block 30. They have all been upgraded to the Block 40 level. Current negotiations foresee the division according to the blocks. The upgrade programme will not require sharing the workload on the same aircraft. In this sense, F-16 block 40 and 50s will be upgraded at the Turkish Defence Ministry’s Eskişehir 1st Air Maintenance Factory Directorate. The directory is also known by its former name, 1st Air Supply and Maintenance Centre Command, while F-16 Block 50+ aircraft will be upgraded at Turkish Aerospace (TUSAŞ) facilities.
1712693850532.jpeg
According to this separation, 30 F-16 Block 50+ aircraft must be upgraded at TUSAŞ Ankara while remaining 49 F-16 must go to Eskişehir. Defence Security and Cooperation Agency (DSCA) presented a list to Congress in January 2024, which includes Turkiye’s F-16 modernisation request. The list indicates software upgrades of the Operational Flight Program (OFP) avionics with the Automatic Ground Collision Avoidance System (AGCAS) capability; hardware modifications to enable integration of the Multifunctional Information Distribution System Block Upgrade II (MIDS BU II), procured separately; hardware and software upgrades to include aircraft major modification; both classified and unclassified software and software support; integration and test support; support equipment; training and training equipment; spare and repair parts; publications and technical documentation; The estimated total cost is $259 million. This is TurDef’s Exclusive News. It can be republished only by attribution of TurDef as a source.
Source:https://turdef.com/article/turkiye-s-f-16-viper-modernisation-to-be-divided-by-two

According to the news, 29 Block 50+, which will be upgraded to F-16V Block 70 level, will be modernized at TAI facilities, and 50 Block 40M will be modernized at Eskişehir 1st Air Supply and Maintenance Center.