I was today years old when I learned F-117s can go supersonic:
View attachment 692188

Source:
Defense Suppression
Building Some Operational Concepts
STANLEY J. DOUGHERTY, MAJOR, USAF
School of Advanced Airpower Studies
https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/ADA364843.pdf

I also learned that looking for pdfs on dtic, ntrs, etc. it's terribly addictive and highly dispersive, since I keep stumbling from one rabbit hole into another...

Most jet planes can go supersonic at least once TBF.
With no afterburner and less-than-optimum aerodynamics, it would only be supersonic in a dive.

All these people that seem unable to understand "retired from combat status" does NOT mean "scrap them all right now".

For one example...
The F9F-6/7/8 Cougar was retired from all USN & USMC combat squadrons in the mid-1960s (reserve units, they left the active squadrons in 1960).

TF-9Js (F9F-8Ts) 2-seat trainers finally left service in USN & USMC training squadrons in 1974.

Despite this, TF-9Js of H&MS-13 (USMC headquarters & maintenance squadron) were used in combat in the Forward Air Controller role in Vietnam in 1967-68, directing air strikes against VC positions in South Vietnam.

I cannot believe that it is 43 years since the Lockheed F-117A was still in production in the old Skunk Works site in Burbank, you are right in saying that time flies piginapoke. Also I can still remember when the F-117A was revealed to the public back in 1988 with that grainy photo, my jaw instantly dropped.

Time flies, huh? I wasn't alive back then but I wonder what Soviet commanders first thought of it after an analysis. They must've been scared shitless thinking the Americans invented a new and almost riskless way of being the first to deliver nuclear payload in a doomsday scenario.

View: https://twitter.com/space_osint/status/1660727962570829825

View: https://twitter.com/space_osint/status/1660727962570829825
You are looking at the drag chute doors.

View: https://twitter.com/aniemyer/status/1687592664315678720

When was Have Blue declassified? Im pretty sure it wasn't declassified when the F-117 was in 1988.

F-117 program was publicly acknowledged in 1988 and a single misleading photo unveiled.

Photos of Have Blue and a brief outline of the program were published in Aviation Week, April 22 1991.

Apart from cost and crew concerns, any reason why they cannot act as targets for training current crews?
As I understand it, that's exactly what they're doing. Being used as a target and aggressor aircraft to train for LO opponents.

Everyone knows I am just an enthusiast here. That said, why are we keeping the nighthawks flying when there are better options for "stealth" platforms to train against? What happened to the Boeing and NG drones, for example? If they are just keeping - I am guessing - 3 or 4 nighthawks flying, isn't it more costly than the drones we had built and flown?
Partly because the exact type of storage requires the various planes to be kept in a flying state, fully assembled, etc.

The Nighthawks are also fully paid for and have adjustable RCS via different sized radar reflectors. As I understand it, even without RAM treated skin, the head-on RCS is just about zero.

I was today years old when I learned F-117s can go supersonic:
View attachment 692188

Source:
Defense Suppression
Building Some Operational Concepts
STANLEY J. DOUGHERTY, MAJOR, USAF
School of Advanced Airpower Studies
https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/ADA364843.pdf

I also learned that looking for pdfs on dtic, ntrs, etc. it's terribly addictive and highly dispersive, since I keep stumbling from one rabbit hole into another...
I was under the impression that the flight control software spazzed out when the bird went supersonic, due to how pressures changed around the air data probes.

One that crashed early in the program went supersonic right before it impacted.

When was Have Blue declassified? Im pretty sure it wasn't declassified when the F-117 was in 1988.

HAVE BLUE was declassified in accordance with DD254 Contract #F33657-79-C-0027 on December 31, 1990.

A number of photos, some historical information, and a few videos have been released.

With no afterburner and less-than-optimum aerodynamics, it would only be supersonic in a dive.
Supposedly also causes issues with how the air data ports sense pressure once the local flows go supersonic, which may have been the cause of one F-117 crash.

I did a presentation project on the F117, didn't get a 100%, but rather a 200%!!! Anyways, can anyone verify if these patches from ebay are legit and are not made up?

Attachments

• s-l400-2.jpg
    s-l400-2.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 36
  • s-l400-3.jpg
    s-l400-3.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 49
Yes, those are both genuine. The silk-screened emblem was the original version that was sometimes called the "blood patch" because of the crimson background. The fully embroidered version was produced later, but before the 4450th Tactical Group was reorganized as the 37th Tactical Fighter Wing.

I did a presentation project on the F117, didn't get a 100%, but rather a 200%!!! Anyways, can anyone verify if these patches from ebay are legit and are not made up?

Does anyone have a video of the F-117 being revealed on Nov. 10 1988? Ive only been able to see a snippet of that glorious day in an F-117 documentary.