Lockheed Martin C-5M Super Galaxy replacement

A few years ago there was talk of a joint venture between Antonov and DASA of Germany, it seems to me that it was an attempt to market a westernized version of the Antonov An70 with Progress D-27 propfan engines, I think it produced a noise that caused some nausea, well it didn't prosper.
It's a noise for two reasons:
1. Germany (Airbus) already have comparable engine: TP400-D6 on A400M
2. To produce D-27 you'll need to replace all Russian parts and systems. D-27 was a joint project. I'm not sure that Ivchenko replaced them, considering Antonov considered An-70 variants with turbofan engines.
But I digress. I'm not sure if C-5M replacement is on the hill. This program will be expensive, signifiacntly so. While there are engines on the shelf that could make a plane of this size STOL, new airframe will be a long process.
Also, I'm not even sure who is to built them? Right now only 3 big companies left. Boeing, LM, and Northrop.

There is also this version of an An70 twinjet. The engines must be Western.
Now, a large version for a VTOL/STOL is this old Boeing project with capacity for 60 passengers, even so it is very far from the capabilities of a C-5M

Attachments

• Antonov An70 twinjet version.jpg
    Antonov An70 twinjet version.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Boeing 60-passenger VTOL Lift-fan aircraft design.jpg
    Boeing 60-passenger VTOL Lift-fan aircraft design.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 28
It's a noise for two reasons:
1. Germany (Airbus) already have comparable engine: TP400-D6 on A400M
2. To produce D-27 you'll need to replace all Russian parts and systems. D-27 was a joint project. I'm not sure that Ivchenko replaced them, considering Antonov considered An-70 variants with turbofan engines.
But I digress. I'm not sure if C-5M replacement is on the hill. This program will be expensive, signifiacntly so. While there are engines on the shelf that could make a plane of this size STOL, new airframe will be a long process.
Also, I'm not even sure who is to built them? Right now only 3 big companies left. Boeing, LM, and Northrop.
Ordinarily I'd suggest Boeing, but they're way too screwy right now. Northrop is eyes-deep in B-21 production. LM is eyes-deep in F-35 production.

Good lord, does this mean we'd have to go AIRBUS?!?

Given that B52s are still flying I assume that the C5 will get similar treatment. Neither plane can be replaced by a new build as the design and manufacture would be too difficult and costly.

C17 will be in a similar place leaving the A400M as the biggest Western airlifter still in production.

Eventually when both the C-5 and C-17 need replacement its is likely a program of some type would be launched.
Perhaps multi-national with US in partnership with other nations to up the total numbers and spread the development cost, plus potentially more than just the one big US aviation firm involved (plus likes of Airbus and BAE, etc.)
One can just hope the US will be both able and willing to bring together such an international coalition in the future.

Yes, they have a factory in the US.

I do NOT LIKE the Airbus FBW system, because it overrides what the pilot commands and will never allow the plane to exceed the Safe Flight Envelope.

Given that B52s are still flying I assume that the C5 will get similar treatment. Neither plane can be replaced by a new build as the design and manufacture would be too difficult and costly.

C17 will be in a similar place leaving the A400M as the biggest Western airlifter still in production.
I suspect there will be a replacement built for them at some point.

Eventually when both the C-5 and C-17 need replacement its is likely a program of some type would be launched.
Perhaps multi-national with US in partnership with other nations to up the total numbers and spread the development cost, plus potentially more than just the one big US aviation firm involved (plus likes of Airbus and BAE, etc.)
One can just hope the US will be both able and willing to bring together such an international coalition in the future.
Interestingly, the USAF is looking at somewhat stealthy aircraft designs for the KC-Z tanker.

This may also apply to cargo craft, it hasn't been said if the KC-Z would be a tanker/transport like the rest of the tankers or would be more capable of transporting big/bulky things like C5 or C17