Lockheed M-5 Penetrator & Supersonic Stealth STOVL projects (unrelated)

Indeed SOC.

I took the title I called NASA about from a different AIAA paper that indicated some of these
M5 Penetrator study papers, but did NOT have any classification status on them. They were
just normal references you see in a AIAA paper.

When the archivist/librarian looked them up, they must have come up as posted
above, becase she suddenly got upset and said these should not even be mentioned
in the paper I was reading.

I suspect they are still classified. But I will try again given mr_london_247's earlier post.

In the meantime, I found another paper on the M5 Turboramjets for this Locheed M5
Methane study in the 1991 ISABE Proceedings last night. I will post the title this evening.

You're allowed to mention the titles, provided they are Unclassified. That's the whole point of the (U) following the title, accompanied by the overall classification of the document later on in the citation. It gives cleared people an idea of where to search for the materials. The librarian was probably shocked because you were apparently searching for Secret-level documents!

Thanks SOC.

I just realized I had a sudden attack of dyslexia as I read your reply
"Hence why can they be published" instead of "Hence why they can be published".

I am not a "cleared" person, just a proud American who is also a taxpayer.

Ok that was a cheap shot and I apologize. :)

I'll go back to my hole.

Regards and thanks again SOC!

That's OK, I'm not a "cleared" individual either anymore, although technically my SCI clearance is still valid for a few more years... ;D

Here is page 8. You'll have to buy the paper for the rest ;)

aero-engineer

Attachments

• AIAA-1990-2151-813_pg8.png
    AIAA-1990-2151-813_pg8.png
    40.5 KB · Views: 770
aero-engineer said:
Here is page 8. You'll have to buy the paper for the rest ;)

aero-engineer

Page 7 actually, but thanks aero-engineer! I have it already.

Besides the 3 references you already published above, I have some more re. this
interesting Lockheed program or related (these are all from public AIAA papers, refs. cited below):

Baker, A. A,; Morris, R. E.: Propulsion Integration
Study of a Turbofan Ramjet Powered Aircraft.
NASA Contractor Report 165678, June 1981. (cited in: AIAA 93-1983)

Matranga, G. J.; King, A. D.: Design Study of Two
Turboramjet Propulsion Concepts For a Mach 5
Penetrator Aircraft. NASA Contractor Report
172145, March 1984. (cited in: AIAA 93-1983)

Cassidy, M. D.: Performance Sensitivities of a High
Altitude Mach 5 Penetrator Aircraft Concept.
NASA Contractor Report 3932, September 1985 (cited in: AIAA 93-1983)
(notice the lack of security stamps on this ref. vs the refs cited in: AIAA 90-2151 earlier by aero-engineer)

Moses, P. L.: Spoth, K. A,: and Collier, C. S.:
Structural Analysis and Weight Prediction for
Advanced Hypersonic Vehicles. Proceedings of the
ASME Winter Annual Meeting, Dallas, TX.,
November 1990. (cited in: AIAA 93-1983)

Ward, B. D.; Mattinson, R. M.: High Speed
Propulsion Assessment. Volume I - Technical
Report, May 1988. (cited in: AIAA 93-1983)

Kevin A. Spoth and Paul L. Moses
Structural Design and Analysis of a Mach Zero-to-Five Turbo-Ramjet System
AlAA 93 -1983
29th Joint Propulsion Conference and Exhibit
June,1993

Benson, J.L.; Miller, L.D.
Mach 5 Turbo-Ramjet Inlet Design and Performance
Tenth International Symposium On Air Breathing Engines (ISABE)
September, 1991

From Daniel Brewers Book

Hydrogen Aircraft Technology, by Daniel Brewer pg 289
5.8.1 MACH 5 METHANE VEHICLE

"One study which falls in this category is reported in Reference 18, “Propulsion System Selection and Integration for a Mach 5 Methane Fuel Penetrator Aircraft.” This is a study conducted by the Advanced Development Projects organization at Lockheed-California Company. The focus of the work was in propulsion; specifically, on design of the inlet and integration of a turbojet/ramjet engine combination. Pratt & Whitney Aircraft was an active participant in the program.

A comprehensive analysis was made of the structural design of the inlet, and of the cooling requirements of the entire propulsion installation. One of the interesting findings was that the Mach 5 cruise speed appeared to be just within in the cooling capability of methane. The inlet and engine hot parts absorbed all of the available heat capacity of the fuel flow rate at cruise conditions. There is virtually no growth potential for LCH4, in terms of speed, above Mach 5. The study was therefore important in establishing that hydrogen fuel would be required for cruise speeds higher than Mach 5."

Skyblazer said:
Stargazer2006 said:
LOCKHEED OFFERS LIFT FAN

Lockheed Martin, Pratt & Whitney, Allison and its new owner, Rolls-Royce, are teamed to offer an aircraft with a shaft-driven lift-fan system in its ASTOVL configuration.

"In 1986, we weren't even looking at shaft-driven lift fans. We had RALS [remote augmented lift system], tandem fan and lift-plus-lift/cruise, etc, but NASA Ames came to the Skunk Works and said that it would prefer to look at a low signature VTOL vehicle," says Lockheed Martin "Skunk Works" advanced-development programme manager Grant Carichner. This was for the then-classified USMC Thunder Cat project.

"Paul Bevilaqua [Skunk Works ASTOVL programme manager] and I spent three weeks in a room going over every propulsion system ever used, to get STOVL performance. Out of that came the idea to use a shaft-driven fan."

The size, wing loading and sweep were derived from the design-mission objectives. "The requirement for a Mach 1.4 super-cruise meant we had to look for something different than direct lift. With the big fan you need for V/STOL this simply prevents super-cruise. Now we've learned to spell ASTOVL and the fact that the 'V' is further back means less is required of the engine [because the V now refers to vertical landing rather than vertical take-off]," says Carichner.
Source: Short take-off, low funding, Flight International, 29/03/95

Now we know that M-5 and supersonic STOVL were two different things. My previous quote (repeated here) may not be related to the former, but it still applies for the latter.

Putting 2 refs about Carichner here for future use:

Most of Carichnerʼs 46 year career was as a Program Manager or Chief Engineer for a wide array of programs within the Skunk Works. These programs included several “black” low signature projects that led to major programs for LM Aeronau- tics. An example was the Navy ASTOVL program. Grant led a team that showed that it was feasible to design a supersonic, low signature fighter that had STOVL capabilities. This led to the F-35 JSF program.

(http://event.arc.nasa.gov/airships/sites/default/files/pdf/GrantCarichner.pdf)

Black ASTOVL

(from Aerospace America, page 27, Jan 2014 issue,
http://www.scribd.com/mobile/doc/222628799)

I believe these refs relate to the Lockheed 'SSF' predecessor to JAST.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    773.1 KB · Views: 637
Source:
http://hushkit.net/2012/08/07/artists-impressions-of-concept-aircraft-1950-90-a-gallery/highspeed0wu/

Attachments

• highspeed0wu.jpg
    highspeed0wu.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 309