Le Monoplan Akrong (Mkpoeno) of 1929

Cy-27

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Akrong Monoplane (Mkpoeno) Design of 1929

Issue 161 of Le Fana de l'Aviation (1983-04) has an article about an aeroplane reportedly built and flew (in 1929) in the Gold Coast (now Ghana) by Daniel Akrong in Mkpoeno. It was a low-wing single engine monoplane, reportedly built after Akrong had seen two aircraft in 1926 and 1928!

I am suspicious of the article because the issue is April 1983 (April Fools / All-Fools Day etc) and it looks a little too basic and rugged (like the pilots seat though!).

However, if it is a fake, then the magazine has gone to some lengths to conceal the fact as there is a drawing and photograph of the front section (see below).

Can anyone validate the authenticity of the article and design?

Attachments

• Le_Monoplan_Akrong_(Mkpoeno)_Fana_No161_Diagram.png
    Le_Monoplan_Akrong_(Mkpoeno)_Fana_No161_Diagram.png
    212.9 KB · Views: 182
  • Le_Monoplan_Akrong_(Mkpoeno)_Fana_No161_Photo.png
    Le_Monoplan_Akrong_(Mkpoeno)_Fana_No161_Photo.png
    190.4 KB · Views: 179
Le Fana is well-known for its tradition of elaborate April Fool's jokes (I think they even invented the concept as far as aviation magazines go).

I believe this is one of them.

Stargazer2006 said:
Le Fana is well-known for its tradition of elaborate April Fool's jokes (I think they even invented the concept as far as aviation magazines go).
I believe this is one of them.
Stargazzer, as far as I remember the April Fool'joke of that Fana issue n°161 was that there was no April Fool at all.
I co-authored this article on the Akrong monoplane with Mr. Oboagye which was then an university professor at Accra, Ghana.
The unique photo he had found didn't look at all as a fake, expecially in the beginning of the 80s when "photoshoping" wasn't as polular as now.
The history of this aircraft could also be found in at least one book in Africa, since I have contacted Mr Oboagye after its reading (was it a normal publication or an university limited edition publication, I don't remember),
I left Ghana in 1983 but send a copy of the Fana issue, along with a translation, the original photo and the drawing to Mr. Oboagye soon after the publication by the Fana.
So perhaps something newer has since be published.

Philippe